Flying restrictions London Area from Thurs 21st April

Pete B

Just seen on the Beeb that restrictions will be in place for non-commercial flying in the London Area this weekend.

I'm sure pukka modellers will comply - but for those who don't follow the news?.....

Pete

PDF with chart showing area limits downloadable here

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 19/04/2016 15:45:05

Advert

It is truly disgusting that any of us should have our hobby interupted for any foreigner. If he doesn't want to take the same minute risks that the rest of us endure then stay away! Especially ridiculous when you consider how pathetic US airport security has been and from a country awash with guns -they expect us to stop flying model aircraft.

If we allow our politicians to get away with this then it will be the thin end of the wedge. Worse restriction will occur.

The restrictions are to cover a certain geographical area. These are put into place for many visits, not just an American dignitary, such as the NATO conferences etc. Do you live in London?

It is quite disturbing that you think that the CAA are simply interrupting your hobby.

These regulations don't just affect some toy planes, they affect all full size aircraft apart from Police and Air Ambulances!! All flights! Real ones!

Hardly a reason to be so ridiculously angry and xenophobic over the matter, kc.

Even more disturbing, should your statement about many of these restrictions being in place be accurate, is the lack of communication to members of the public pursuing innocent pastimes illegally while in contravention of the restrictions. Remember that Joe Public and his 7 year old son flying a toy in the park would be just as guilty in law as a club openly defying a known restriction.

The only restrictions of this nature that I've been aware of are the Olympics, the Welsh NATO convention and this one. If they are a regular occurrence, perhaps we should all be made more aware of them and encouraged to check NOTAMs before every flying session. Suddenly, a simple pastime with a good safety record is starting to look rather complex. Incidentally, CAP 658 makes no mention of NOTAMs other than for notification of model flying activity to full size aviation.

While I wouldn't like to restrict the work of the security services unduly, kc's point about the thin end of a wedge is perfectly valid. "We do it for the US president, why don't we restrict all flying, full size and model within 20 miles of the Queen at any time - and in that case we should protect the heir - and the PM - and the Cabinet - and the Shadow Cabinet - maybe the Mayor of London - Birmingham - Manchester - Police Stations - Hospitals - large branches of W H Smith...."

Good thing he hasn't (so far as I know) planned to come in June...Wings and Wheels would be nicely covered in the corner of area 1 - although I do realise the posted hours this time wouldn't actually impact too badly.

P.S. Well done BMFA - the restrictions have been circulated via the website and email (to subscribers). I missed the email as I was at the club/pub this afternoon/evening and only just looked at my inbox.

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/04/2016 00:36:04

Have you considered the consequences of even an unsuccessful attack on POTUS by a "drone" (or a carrier bag!)

The security services have enough on their plate dealing with one of the principal terrorist targets on the planet without allowing the potential threat from un-authourised air movements to further complicate matters

I haven't contemplated attacking anyone with an aeriated ASDA bag but at least those minded to will be able to be prosecuted for unauthorised aviation. That will strike terror into ISIS hearts!

Yes, I do appreciate that stopping all aerial activity makes for a clearer picture and can't put up any argument that could refute that - but it's a matter of degree and erosion of our freedoms - the very thing that the military and security services are supposed to protect. I'm just expressing the view that we (and general aviation) are at the thin end of the wedge and can expect increasingly frequent and possibly more restrictive legislation unless we can produce a good case for not being included in blanket restrictions.

Posted by Martin Harris on 22/04/2016 00:59:23:

Yes, I do appreciate that stopping all aerial activity makes for a clearer picture and can't put up any argument that could refute that - but it's a matter of degree and erosion of our freedoms - the very thing that the military and security services are supposed to protect. I'm just expressing the view that we (and general aviation) are at the thin end of the wedge and can expect increasingly frequent and possibly more restrictive legislation unless we can produce a good case for not being included in blanket restrictions.

The vary fact that an aerial vehicle is very hard to stop is the reason why these restrictions are in place; so that the security services can be more aware of and try to stop anything untoward. It is a blanket restriction because even a toy plane can be used to do harm.

Yes, I did say "toy plane" on purpose because on the scale of things aviation related we are nowhere near the top of the food chain but very much at the bottom, maybe just above kites (and plastic bags). wink

"erosion of our freedoms"? Really? How much freedom do you want? Do you fly within 50m of people and buildings, 10m above motorways, ignoring the rules and flying with due disregard for everyone? I would hazard a guess that the answer would be a "No".   Why is this particular, short lived, restriction, over a tiny geographical area such an issue when you're happy to join clubs and even instruct, abiding by their rules?

Stating it is a thin edge of a wedge is just scaremongering with absolutely no regards for the reasoning behind these types of decisions.

Maybe people need to start taking a step back from the crystal balls that are spelling doom and gloom and just try to understand that restrictions such as these are put in place, for a small period of time, over a small area of our country, for a particular reason and maybe you could understand that we are not special or above those reasons because we fly toy planes.

These flight restrictions are put into place to help protect those whose movements are known about! It is also down to threat assessments - one leader of a certain nation may be top of the list but another might not even be on the list!  There are many flights and movements that are not published or made public so therefore need less of a blanket of reassurance. You can't threaten the movement of someone you don't know are moving.

Even real, full size aviation, is affected so why should we be excluded from it?

Edited By John F on 22/04/2016 07:50:46

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 21/04/2016 20:55:18:

Ah but, kc, just think of the embarrassment if a wayward WOT4 brought down Air Force One......wink 2

Pete

That would be just one of the numerous 'Drone' strikes that are bringing aircraft down weekly.
We need a closure of all 'terrorist' outlets, supplying dangerous plastic bags immediately.

Ooh! I think I may have a career in knee jerk media, I could quite warm to spewing over hyped hysteria

There is a valid point being made about greater awareness of flight activities and restrictions from both sides.

We on the SUAS side do not as a community engage with the GA or Commercial flight operators. And likewise they are fairly ignorant of the rules and practices of our activities.

I will have to sign up to the BMFA notifications mentioned by Martin. I was unaware of that service.