Methane shortage?

Just been listening to the All Things that Fly podcast and they're talking about a methane shortage affecting model fuel prices in the U.S. The cause is the closure of a large factory in China so as to help the air quality running up to the Olympics.

Whilst not wanting to start panic buying I wondered if anyone heard anything about this?

Advert

Hi David, 

I heard a similar story yesterday from the Model Technics stand at the Woodspring show, where incidentlly 1 gallon of contest 10 was £12 but not for long.  They confirmed the story in China with the Olympics.  The other problem being the USA, as they have directed all their Nitro from drag racing and model fuel into fertilizer as they have just banned their present ingredients.

Get your fuel while you can as I think were in for some hard times.  Hopefully the shortage of Nitro will be relieved after the Olympics if they reopen the factory but I am very doubtful the price will ever come down again!

I couldn't comment on electric as i only fly i.c, however i would like to start flying electric, but cant afford anymore models, batteries and chargers!!! However i was speaking to someone in my local shop and he just pointed out that if your using 5% then only 5% is methane anyway so the increase will be on the 5%. But everything is going up...............but that is a different thread.

On BBC rollon news today there was a report saying that the worlds biggest producer of planinum was closing down one of its smelters for technical reasons and it will be next year before production resumes at this particular plant. The report seemed to indicate that the loss of production at this plant  would be considerable. This could affect the price of glow plugs, so even more reason to go electric.

PS  There'll be plenty of methane around (to be exploited"but not by us lot)) when the permafrost is no more in Siberia  There is plenty now being released under the once thickly frozen lakes .there.

Methanol has nothing to do with methane anyway !

Methanol (wood alcohol) has been obtained recently by the controlled air oxidation of natural gas.Originally it was produced by the catalytic reduction of carbon monoxide in the prescence of chromium and zinc oxides In other words  by the destructive distillation of wood . Hence the name wood alcohol.

2 H2 + CO       with  Cr2 O3   + ZnO  at  350-400 degrees Centigrade  gives  CH3OH