Wot 4 help please

Hi all,

I'm new to flying and I'm after some help please? I'm looking at getting a Chris foss wot4 balsa plane kit to build and was wondering if you can convert them to electric. Only reason I ask is that the ones I've seen for sale are foam and I would like a balsa one, but have no idea on ic at the moment as I'm new to flying and want to be able to fly before I move over to ic. So was just asking if anyone has built a balsa wot4 kit and has done a electric conversion or know where I might possibly be able to buy a kit from please? Thanks for your help!

Regards

Advert

May I make the following four points Shaun.

1. The WOT 4 is an excellent second model but it's not really a trainer in my opinion and you may find it difficult to learn on unless you have the help of an experienced pilot on a buddy box. The model is likely to be a little heavier than its i/c equivalent and will therefore fly more quickly, which is precisely what you don't want as a beginner.
  2. Two stroke glow engines are not that difficult to understand. Assuming that the engine has compression and a glow plug of the correct heat range, your engine should run. There are only two controls to adjust, the high and low speed needle settings. Any competent clubman should be able to help with that. For a beginner on a WOT 4 I would recommend a "cooking" 40 like an OS 40 FP, OS 40 LA or Thunder Tiger GP 42. If you live in England or Wales, a list of BMFA affiliated clubs is here: https://bmfa.org/Clubs/Find-a-Club, and I urge you to join one, you'll get lots of help at your stage of the learning curve.
  3. From my perspective it's good that you want to build your own model, for I get a great deal of pleasure out of building too but unfortunately there are few builders' kits of trainers these days. Perhaps a Unowot, another of Chris Foss's designs, may be a better option for an electric conversion. It was designed as a trainer after all. If you take the balsa ARTF route my recommendation would be the Seagull Boomerang which may be powered by either electric or glow motors.
  4. It is said that if you ask ten different aeromodellers you'll get ten different opinions! At my old club in England, there is an instructor who is far better than me, as a pilot, a builder and an instructor, who swears by WOT 4s as basic trainers!

Happy Landings!

Shaun, morning ! Ted is away for a week or two yet. If you ask him nicely he will let you have a flight of his so you can see what they are like. He has a .70 four stroke in it but that won't make any difference just to have a go. David's correct about pilots opinions on trainers. We tend to stick with what we know, trust and are familiar with. Good on you for wanting to build your own modelyes

See you soon .....Pete

I agree with David Davis, the Wot 4 is not a trainer though the old kit (don't know about the current one) allowed conversion to a trainer by adding dihedral to the wings, probably where the idea that it is suitable as a trainer came from. Uno Wot, Boomerang or the Tutor 40 are IMHO the best trainers currently available, though there's not much between them and others like the Arising Star. If you intend to go IC probably best to start that way, you can take best advantage of available instructors if all you have to do is re-fuel and go rather then waiting for batteries to charge or spending out on multiple batteries. A trainer will be lighter and fly slower then a kit built Wot 4. As a model pilot of around 40+ years and club approved instructor, i would much rather teach on an ARTF trainer then a Wot 4. If you intend to go electric most ARF's come with alternative fittings for motors and batteries.

Find local clubs and visit them, talk to the members and choose a club that suits you, before you buy anything. Most will bend over backwards to help you get started some will even offer trial flights with a club trainer.

My 2p worth - dont. That is do not buy the "kir", it will be too heavy. Get the ARTF. I am sure you would be able to fit a suitable set up.....ps the foamy wots are fun to fly..........nothing like a balsa ic one though.......

We have a learner on a wot trainer...lovely aircraft.

I will come to Shaun's defence here...he has been to our club several times and everyone made him feel welcome. He has been doing rc cars for a while and was really into it and became a good driver. He now wants to try flying.

So, he knows about rc, really knowledgable about electric set ups and very good on the Tx. He has flown a Wot trainer and made a great job of it and felt quite comfortable with it.

It was his choice to go electric ( because of his experience ) and then move onto IC

Apologies , you were all unaware of this.

Hi and good morning all!

Firstly would like to say thanks for all the comments some much needed info! Yes I didn't mention that I've been racing cars now 22 years so I'm not new to r/c,(nothing like flying tho!) always wanted to fly planes and one day build my own one as this was what my grandad used to do. Anyway I've been to my local club st Austell & district modelling club where I must say is a very helpful club and a lovely group of chaps! Cymaz has been nothing but a great help to me teaching me and helping to fly. I had a max thrust riot, but yes after having a fly on wot from an other club members I found that I was more suited to that plane. Looks like I may have to do more homework! As I said earlier thank you all for some much needed info and thank you all for making me feel welcome to this hobby!

Regards

Morning Shaun,

The foam Wot 4 electric is a pussy cat to fly. Perhaps, fly one and build the kit at the same time?

In fact, if you lived anywhere near Brands Hatch I might consider letting you have mine as it no longer gets flown...

Cheers

Rich

Edited By Rich2 on 05/06/2016 09:35:20

Hi rich 2, thank you for you offer but I'm all the way down in sunny Cornwall so it's quite a long way away from yourself but thank you anyway! Yes trying to understand the tx is proving a bit of a challenge as not used to it but I'm getting there I think? Once again thank you all again for some much needed info! And also for making me feel welcome to the forum!

Regards

Hi Percy yes will take a look thank you for that! Ic is my goal in the future but for me at the moment as I'm a newbie to flying will try and stay with electric for the time being! Will be going to my local club on Saturday (weather permitting!) to ask around some more! But yes thanks again and will do my homework! Regards