Sig Astro Hog engine size

Hi Andrew,

One thing I forgot to mention was that when I mounted my RCV engine I had to rethink the throttle linkage. I had to put a mini servo right next to the engined as it was too tall to get the linkage within the fuselage plus also watch that the engine / tank setup is right mine is slightly above tank centre but works fine.

As for the engine in the breeze keeps em cool, here's mine tank size 50mm x 60mm

dsc02529 (1280x853).jpg

The original tank size on Fred Dunns model was 7oz, I have a copy which I got from Yesterday's Aero Modelling Plans Service some years ago not sure if they are still around if your interested

Regards

Robert

Advert

I have a nib flair astro hog that I bought a few years ago. As soon as I've finished refurbing the car I bought as a knockaround I'll be building that.

My original flair astro hog had a magnum 61 4 stroke which was just right and the lighter they are built the righter they will be.

Personally I think the laser 100 is far too heavy for the a/h and though I have a laser 80 I hadn't thought about fitting it in the one I will build, it'll either be a laser 70, saito 62 or an OS 52 surpass with the latter the favourite right now.

FWIW laser 100 = 810 grammes (+silencer?) OS 52 surpass 402 grammes + silencer. I'll use a 7 ounce tank on mine which gives long flight times with the 52 but I'll copper my bets by fitting the mounting bearers as far apart as I can get them and use a paxolin plate so I can swap engines around. I'll also lengthen the nose by about 3/4" to help the c of g though I can't recall using noseweight in the last one I had.

HTH.

Robert Parker Very nice sir I like it. Good point about the throttle link and the position of the tank. I am now looking at putting a laser 80 into it but then thought about the carb position relative to tank and throttle servo. The carb is high up on the laser so could be an issue with the laser going in mounted vertical hence the question about mounting the Laser horizontally. Correct me if I am wrong (its been a long time since I built anything) optimum position for the tank is center line of the carb yes???

Braddock, VC Yes I sort of came to the conclusion that the laser 100 would be a bit heavy ( had a future build in mind for it) But as the misses said may be santa would bring be the bigger version of the plane the laser 100 was going to go into has made my mind up to go with the 80 Also Jon's note that most people fit the 80.

Just going to measure up the car now to ensure it will fit.

Can't help with the engine selection but, if it helps anyone else contemplating electrification, details of mine are here:

http://www.bartonhewsons.uk/home/modelflying/sport/astrohogprojectd.html

With a 5s x 3300mah battery pack on board, it weighs in at just 5lb 8oz and has power to spare - I often put a 4s pack in if that's all I have available and it still flies fine.

Whether i.c. or electric, how much power you need does depend on how you build it. The original was of course designed in the days when many, if not most, radio flights ended up free flight - hence the banded on wing and tail. I was building from the original plan so I was able to make extensive modifications to get unnecessary weight out of the structure to take advantage of the smoother electric power and more reliably controlled landings - most of the time!

No ground clearance problem with the 12.5in prop. I did position the u/c mounting blocks as far forwards as possible because I find that any forward rake on the legs of a torque rod undercarriage can result in very bumpy taxiing on uneven surfaces.

I'm also an Astro Hogg/Laser fan. Aquired my first Hogg in the lat eighties. Was a Sig kit, powered by an HB61. Flew beautifully, most of the time half throttle or there abouts was all that was needed.

Purchased a Flair Hogg in the late ninties. it is presently fitted a new Laser 80. Thr model is a delight to fly. The Laser, a perfect match. Club members commenting on how nice it sounds and how quiet it is...I live in Germany..

Easiest motor to operate I have ever owned (apart from my school days wih my Mills .75!) . Fill the tank, prime it, a backward flip, to bounce of the compresion, and starts first or second go every time.

Incidently, I use the factory specifed prop, which is fifteen inches i diameter, and even flying off grass there is plenty of clearence. The model have the original size wheels which are 4" dia.

For me The Laser 80 and the Hogg are the perfect combination, with power in reserve.

Robert many thanks for your reply. How did you find the SIG kit quality. I understand that it was quite some time ago. but one would hope as time goes on they would improve the kits quality. I think I have sort of sold my self on the Hog and the Laser 80 just need to go spend the money now.

Thanks Again

Andy C

Hi Andrew and fellow Hog owners,

I found this while looking through my pile of plans earlier. It is an article written by Fred Dunn in April 1958, the designer of the original Astro Hog, where he talks about building and flying the Astro Hog.

Oh and incidentally on the original Hog both the wings and the tailplane were banded on, which was an option for the Flair kit.

Hope the scans are legible.

img001.jpg

img002.jpg

img003.jpg

img004.jpg

I've tried to find Yesterday's Aero Modelling plans service seems they are no longer in business. I bought my plans from them years ago as I could not get hold of a Flair kit.

Hope the article is of interest.

Regards

Robert

Well I have gone and done it. The Hog is on its way and a laser 80 is on order. Bit annoyed as I was hoping to get the hog today (Friday) but the credit card company decided to flag a fraud alert when Pegasus models tried processing the card. By the time it was sorted they missed the courier so I will have to wait till Monday now. sad

Robert thanks for putting the article up will make interesting reading.

Guys slightly off on a tangent here but I starting to gather items to build the Hog one thing I always wonder about is which type of hinge to use. Which is your preference.

1. Rowbart round.

2. flat metal pin.

3. CA type.

Many thanks Percy I did not want to use rubber bands does not look good. I totally agree with you with the under carriage I would have converted it to a tail dragger if the kit had insisted on a noise wheel. I am also going to mount the laser 80 upside down and cover the opening on top. \should make it look a bit better on the front.

Thanks for the hinge advice.

Posted by Percy Verance on 11/06/2016 19:26:19:

Hi again Andrew

Mounting the Laser certainly won't be an issue as far as bolting it in situ and operating it, but I wouldn't do it that way if you fly from a hard runway. Nose-overs will gradually grind the head away. It ought to be fine on grass though.

Perhaps that's a good reason to go trike u/c indecision.