July RCM&E

Danny Fenton

Thanks Martyn, I sent in lots more pictures of "Stooges", "Blast tubes" and "Stuffers" but there was a fear that with Alex covering the indoors as well, we might overload the mag with free flight. But to me, and it is just my opinion I find all modelling interesting, just some bits more than others.

And you really should think about having a crack next year, any help I can give then let me know. The Vintage Model Co kits are a delight to build.

Cheers

Danny

I have a swordfish (veron plan/kit) that is 75% built plus a peanut Cub and a peanut PT-19. Not nationals quality but I dont care if people laugh at my feeble efforts

It will look good in Silver

and

and the poor relation - still need undercarriage..

Martyn

I think you are being a bit kind. Anorak mode on - on the Cub, the little squares on the undercarriage shroud are all cut from black tissue and doped in place. For some weird reason which I cant fathom, I really enjoyed doing that nerd

Yes - the nerd smiley is about right.

Martyn

Posted by Danny Fenton on 07/06/2016 15:05:19:

Thanks Martyn, I sent in lots more pictures of "Stooges", "Blast tubes" and "Stuffers" but there was a fear that with Alex covering the indoors as well, we might overload the mag with free flight. But to me, and it is just my opinion I find all modelling interesting, just some bits more than others.

And you really should think about having a crack next year, any help I can give then let me know. The Vintage Model Co kits are a delight to build.

Cheers

Danny

Agree about the Vintage Model Co. yes

I had to do a double take when I saw the photo of the SE5a, looks almost identical to mine built at Christmas!

20160106_220638.jpg

Posted by Martyn K on 07/06/2016 16:44:27:

Anorak mode on - on the Cub, the little squares on the undercarriage shroud are all cut from black tissue and doped in place. For some weird reason which I cant fathom, I really enjoyed doing that nerd

Don't feel too badly about that, Martyn - there's a bloke on here who likes planting rivets.....wink 2

Pete

Read it last night. Very good article. thumbs up An interesting insight into a "different" area of the hobby - and recalls a fondly remembered path for those of us who came to the hobby via the Keil Kraft flying scale series route. Mine never looked as good as some of those examples though!

Yes, Danny's article was real nostalgia trip - and a match for my pre-teen experiences with KK Flying Scale models. I'm still traumatised from the time I carefully placed my Hurricane fuselage in all it's skeletal beauty on the floor beside me while I sorted the wing components only to turn round a minute later putting my knee firmly on the fuselage.

Or my KK Sea Vixen - light the fuse , wait for it to start gassing and launch, at which point I saw the first licks of flame starting to spread across the doped tissue.

The occasional successful circuit with one of these models seemed like magic so to hear of them actually flying multiple circuits makes Danny and co magicians.thumbs up

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 08/06/2016 11:15:53:

Or my KK Sea Vixen - light the fuse , wait for it to start gassing and launch, at which point I saw the first licks of flame starting to spread across the doped tissue.

I had a similar experience. Launched my Javelin but the jetex motor casing split in flight. An instant spectacular cloud of smoke followed by the burning remnants falling to earth

Excellent videos. I can see how this would very easily become additive, tweaking and trimming for optimum flight performance

I never had one catch fire but I do remember launching my Javelin only to see it flip and head straight back at me (at head height).

What I enjoyed as well was conversting the WW2 warbirds to Allbon Dart comtrol line (flew nicely on 20 foot lines) apart from the Hurricane. I only infilled the fuselage back to the cockpit and (very stupidly) didn't extend the 1/8" ply keel/engine mount with the result that it broke its back on landing

I'm now considering fitting one with micro 2.4 GHz receiver, 1S Lipo and a teeny motor (just to see if it works)

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 08/06/2016 12:11:06