Charge your mobile phone from a Lipo??

Advert

Posted by Chuck Plains on 12/06/2016 11:02:47:

2S-6S-RC-Lipo-Battery-Converter-Charger-3S2200mAh

Would you or wouldn't you?

Maybe, if I could plumb a cell checker in between . . .

indecision

I don't see why not. Do you never use a charger plugged in to your car 12v socket to charge your phone? I certainly do. All this device is doing is supplying 5v on a USB socket from a 2 to 6 cell LiPo. The car charger does the same from a 12v Lead Acid battery.

I don't see an issue - unless you're concerned that charging the phone may discharge the LiPo too low?

I have a Lipo powered phone charger with a USB lead that can charge any number of devices at either 1A or 2A charge rate. Quite a useful bit of kit- bit a bit more neatly finished than that. Since the phones and cameras are typically single cells the issue of a balance charged doesn;t come into it, though the charge rate might be a bit aggressive at 2A for some cells.

Posted by Ben B on 12/06/2016 11:19:33:

These are useful. Has a checker built in and runs from a balancing lead...

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__22320__HobbyKing_8482_LIPO_to_USB_Charging_Adapter_and_Cell_Checker_2S_6S_.html

Mine has an auto cut off for LiPo protection too. Only problem with these is that if you use more than 3s they get quite warm.

Posted by leccyflyer on 12/06/2016 11:38:42:

I have a Lipo powered phone charger with a USB lead that can charge any number of devices at either 1A or 2A charge rate. Quite a useful bit of kit- bit a bit more neatly finished than that. Since the phones and cameras are typically single cells the issue of a balance charged doesn;t come into it, though the charge rate might be a bit aggressive at 2A for some cells.

Presumably the Lipo charger came with it's own clever charger?

Posted by Chris Barlow on 12/06/2016 12:08:04:

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__22320__HobbyKing_8482_LIPO_to_USB_Charging_Adapter_and_Cell_Checker_2S_6S_.html

Mine has an auto cut off for LiPo protection too. Only problem with these is that if you use more than 3s they get quite warm.

That looks good. I'd rather use that than the Ebay one.

sPosted by Chuck Plains on 14/06/2016 21:20:52:

Posted by Rich2 on 12/06/2016 14:36:47:

Looks good but would not give many charges? I just bought a RAV power pack which is nearly 27,000 mAh.

27amp hours?? That's quite punchy then!

I'm guessing that it would start a car.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-26800mAh-Portable-Charger-External/dp/B012V9H3WA

Not sure about that! I just wanted something that would give a number of charges to various devices. If you check the capacity of phone batteries, you will not get many charges from a small Lipo.

Although there are now similar sized devices to start cars.

Edited By Rich2 on 14/06/2016 21:40:35

Edited By Rich2 on 14/06/2016 21:42:25

Posted by Chuck Plains on 14/06/2016 22:56:53:
Posted by Rich2 on 14/06/2016 21:39:33:

Although there are now similar sized devices to start cars.

Well exactly. Yours already has more than double the Ah rating of an average motorcycle battery.

What do you want from it Chuck? With 2200mAh lipos you'll be luck to get two charges. I suppose it is ok for an emergency, but pretty limited beyond that. Hence why I went for the RAV unit.

Posted by Rich2 on 15/06/2016 06:30:28:

What do you want from it Chuck? With 2200mAh lipos you'll be luck to get two charges. I suppose it is ok for an emergency, but pretty limited beyond that. Hence why I went for the RAV unit.

Heh, I only posted it up as I thought it was an odd item. I don't really need it as, I have chargers at home or work and in the car too.

I just returned from three nights camping Le Mans yes that's what I bought the RAV unit for and it was brilliant, kept my iPhone and iPad charged with tons of capacity left when I got home.

I agree Chuck it's an interesting and cheap option, but if you do need something to charge when away from the usual charging methods, you can't beat a purpose made unit - although a little more expensive. The RAV will be great on holiday as we always struggle to keep the family equipment charged!

I have one of these & it works quite well. I've only used it on 3S & it's fine although there are some reports on the HK site that it gets hot/burns out on higher S values

the major disadvantage is that for some reason the voltage cutoff is 3v, rather than something sensible like 3.5v, so there's the potential to wreck a LiPo pack unless you keep an eye on it (guess how I know this )