Help/Advice Please!

ChrisH

Hello. I bought the June edition of the RCM&E magazine which had the free plans of the Peyret Mauboussin Type XI.

I thought I would quite like to build this model as a wee project - who knows, if I do it well enough it might even fly - but being very much a newbie to the model aircraft side I have not got a clue of where to go for supplies of the material required, like balsa and thin ply for starters.

Can anyone recommend some reputable suppliers who will enable me to obtain the necessary materials I require please.

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

Advert

Chris, you have not really explained whether you are a newbie to model building or a newbie to model flying or perhaps new to both.

The Peyret is not really the ideal model to learn to fly And it's more complex to build than a trainer. So the advice is always to start by building (or buying ) a trainer then later to move on to scale or more difficult models. Everyone starts by wanting to build and fly a scale model, but everyone finds that building a simple trainer first is the best way.

Hi - To explain further, I am a relative newbie to model engineering in that it is only in the last few years since I retired that I have been able to kit out a workshop with a lathe and mill/drill etc. But I have been in engineering all my life so the machining part was really refreshing and updating/upgrading old skills.

With respect to model flying and model planes I am a complete newbie. I am having to read all I can (is there a good book that explains everything out there?) to try and understand the hobby. RC and what is required and what does what there is just a big black hole at the moment, there is an awful lot to learn it seems.

I intended to try and build the Peyret not as a plane to learn to fly on,or even to definitely fly later, but more a project to while the hours away whilst we are in our place in France - we spend 4/5 months of the year over there. Don't get excited, it's not some South of France exotic hideaway in the sun, just a modest place in Brittany so the weather is much like here in the SouthWest. But its peaceful, and quiet, and uncrowded, one can totally relax.

If I do decide to learn to fly, and why not, then I intend to first join a club, get advice there on a trainer to buy and learn on and then learn with a 'tutor' to help. I hope. That's the plan! Then I will try and build a model that my engine can power, or maybe just buy an engine that will do the job. All very much to be decided come the day. Assuming I am still around to do it!!

My engines being built are a single cylinder sleeve valve engine being built because of my interest in sleeve valve engines, this is being built using just stock, no castings, from original plans, and completing a part built 3 cylinder radial engine whose original builder unfortunately died, and for which I am having to draw up plans and design half of the workings as the engine came 'sans' plans! If both engines just run I'lll be more than happy, if they eventually fly that would be a real bonus.

I am very appreciative of all the advice given here to push me in the right direction, I do take careful note, many thanks. And from just studying the plans I have seen the Peyret is not a straightforward build!

Chris

You should consider building something like the Chapter One before you build the Peyret. You will learn the techniques on a much quicker to build project than a scale model. Walk before you run!

You might also consider the Firefly engine as a useful model engineering project. see Features- Engines at top of page for the other parts of Firefly article.

Building a plane from plans ( ie. from scratch) means selecting the balsa grades yourself. Balsa is so variable in density ( = weight or strength ) that it's important to select the right grade for each component. The right grade for a tailplane may be useless for a wing spar and vice versa. Buying a kit might help in this regard, because they should have selected the balsa for each job. Experience with a kit may get you the experience to select your own balsa next time.

If you have no expert help at hand to select balsa, buy some extra sheets and use a set of digital scales to determine the weight. Published tables will then give a rough guide to density for standard size sheets.

Note that UK plans almost always use imperial measurements so you really need UK sourced balsa for UK plans as metric sizes are not quite exact enough substitutes. Especially if you buy laser cut ply parts. 6mm sq will be a poor fit in a 1/4 inch slot etc, etc.

kc - thanks for that info. I know the plans for the Peyret do state what grade balsa to use and where, which was news to me at the time as I in my ignorance had assumed balsa is balsa, end of. Lesson, never assume anything! I note with the Chapter One plane a wood pack or packs can be purchased along with the plans and an accessory pack which would seem to make sense first time around certainly.

Chris