Devil's Duster

complete a pac.jpgdevils duster profile.jpgHi all.

Some years ago we had an excellent 'one stop' model shop in the Wiltshire town of Warminster. It was called Hobbies and it was run by a well known and distinguished modeller, no name dropping.. he may well read this. Hung up in the ceiling was a CAP Devils Duster, it had been there for some time with no takers. I took pity on it, made on offer for it which was duly accepted.

After dusting it off, I fitted new radio gear and an 60 2/stroke. To my amazement it handled and responded beautifully, neutrally stable but still easy to fly. Under power I could fly it at very high angles of attack without stalling and in a light wind landing was almost walking speed. Loops slow rolls etc. could be performed with ease.

Stupid like, I sold it, together with the plan a few years ago. Has anyone else had experience with this 'beast' ? Better still does anyone know where a plan could be obtained?

Happy landings

Davidcap devils duster.jpg

Advert

I can't help with the DD but Pete Russells 362 & 363 Deltas are very similar and a straightforward build (there's only a wing!) He fitted retracts to his later versions which would make a very tidy model. The only kits I can think of is the Busa Northstar which is an amazing flier, land or water

Thanks guys, your comments and advice are very much appreciated. I will continue my search will all of your recommendations. If anyone has built a similar machine I would love to see it.

Keep flying, regards.

David

Hi Percy.

Yes you are quite right, they were spectacular both to fly and to watch. I believe that mine was one of a trio flown at model shows in formation. The story goes that one 'pealed off' out of control and one of the pilots said 'your aircraft is gone out of control, Oops it's mine'. Whether there is any truth in that story, who knows...

Mine was initially powered by an Irvine 61, later an OS 61. Today I guess I would use a 61 or 70 four stroke to try to keep the noise down, with a tuned pipe it could be heard a mile or so away. The only problem was from 'ground effect' when landing on tarmac. It would float on it's cushion of air long after the elevons had become ineffective. To cure this I would take of on the runway and land on the grass. Being heavily involved with flying wings this is a common problem I have found when landing on a hard surface.

David

Bob Fletcher ('AlphaBob' )with Devil's Duster Woodvale 1975. When Alpha Models was in its heyday we had a Trade Stall and did a variety of displays at Woodvale each year. I never displayed the DD but flew one on a number of occasions.

Edited By John Lee on 08/07/2016 21:10:56devils duster.jpg

Edited By John Lee on 08/07/2016 21:11:37

Thanks John.

That is one of the 'coolest' pics I have yet seen on the forum. Is that you holding back the Duster, there seems to be quite an audience in the background. I find deltas and flying wings quite fascinating and the DD was very much a favorite of mine. That's why I am looking to build another, assuming the plans are still available.

Thanks again

David

It looks like it has a very rounded leading edge and thick section, perhaps this contributed to its enjoyable flying qualities. Do you recall David, if it had a symmetrical wing section? Perhaps you could design something similar yourself in the absence of a plan. It looks like it could be a simple build although the tricky bit could be getting the C of G and wing reflex right. I too have built a few flying wings over the years including a couple of O/Ds.

Great picture by the way, do you think that this example has been scaled up? There appears to be an Action Man strapped to the underside!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 09/07/2016 06:26:45

Hi Piers.

Thanks for joining the thread.

Yes. I believe it was a Symmetrical wing section, Possibly a NACA 0015? If I cannot track down a plan I guess that I will have to design and build my own version, but it would be very frustrating after spending hours drawing up and building only to find that my design doesn't quite fly the same or perhaps I am just being lazy?

As to the CofG, originally it was well forward and on the first few flights elevator control was poor and the elevons had to have plenty of 'up' trim. It also it flew fast and was not particularly pleasant to fly. I then put ballast aft which brought the CofG into a much better position and never looked back.

I think that the elevons provided the reflex, mine could be trimmed to fly 'hands off'' when inverted.

I hope that the action man on Bob Fletcher's version had a parachute. I think a parachuting action man was part of the show. Might just try that myself!

The size looks about right, (56 inch span).

David

I must confess I don't have much experience with all types of delta. Though the club vice-chairman scratch built one out of sheets of 1/4 balsa, just a flat wing with a box fuselage to carry radio, engine etc. flies a treat and so docile.

Good luck with your search for a plan David, someone must have one stashed in the corner of their loft somewhere. Yes it would be frustrating to design and build your own version only to find that it flies like a turkey, or even worse, for the DD plan to then turn up! Still it could be fun designing your own and who knows, it could turn out better than the original. Personally I would go for a lecky powered version to start with as there is lots of scope for moving the battery about to get the C of G in the right place without adding ballast. It looks like I have talked myself into having a go at building one myself. How did that happen?!

Posted by DCW on 09/07/2016 10:27:52:

All very useful info.

Incidentally if anyone has built an interesting delta, we would all love to see it.

Thanks Guys.

David

This is my Stormfighter2 delta glider built from an RCM plan (#843). Constructed with a built up wing and a lost foam fuse. I tacked a motor on the back and she's a great flier. I thought it looked a bit Mirage-ish so went with that livery and a sort of a TSR2-ish nose.

stormy.jpg

park4.jpg

Hi Piers.

Go for it...

I have reigned myself to design and build a super DD. In this case power would come from an ASP 80 fourstroke?

Some years ago I converted one of my wings to electric. This was the Pterasoarus based on a Manx Monarch but made to look like a vintage scale aircraft, fooled a few lads. It was originally powered my a vintage OS 60 with open 'rockers', down on power compared with a modern four stroke but still good.

Electric conversion consisted of: EMAX GT3526/04, EMAX 80A ESC, and a 4 cell, (14.8v) LiPo

This was down on power even compared with a Vintage OS 60. It just takes longer to get off the ground, it is after all a powered glider! I probably should have used a more powerful motor with a 5 Cell, but this would, of course, increase both weight and cost.

Perhaps a smaller DD with a 3 cell would be a good idea?

After a bit of research last night, I think the closest match for the original wing section could have been an NACA 0010. I think that that is the wing section used on an Avro Vulcan, that's good enough for me. 10 ribs per wing, but maybe the last 2 or three ribs should be NACA 0008. Also slightly larger elevons to increase the rate of roll and a better power to weight ratio to give a more vertical climb. Hope we don't spoil it.

Pterasoarus with OS 60, I will upload a 'pic' of the aircraft in it's present guise when I next get to the flying field, whenever that is......

Bye

David

pterasouarus.jpg

Hi John.

I've managed to contact Anglia Model Centre about CAP kits. They have most of the CAP plans, including the Vulcan, but not the Devil's Duster. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Thanks

David

• 1 month later...

David

I've just had an email from Bob Fletcher (pictured at Woodvale in a post above) to say that he has 'just had a battered yellowing Duster plan sorted out and cleaned up to amazing quality by www.model-plans.co.uk' and so it should be available via that site now. It's not yet showing on their listings but an email to Derick at model-plans should get you on the way.

Regards

John