Max Thrust Riot Motor

Stevo

Well whaddya know...

Not flown for 18 months due to health. Got out the old Riot, and the motor sounds like a bag of spanners. Obviously I crunched it a while back but can't remember!!

So can I find a spare? NO. All out of stock. And of course no direct replacement or upgrade from anywhere?

Advert

I've taken the old motor apart, to find that there are shards of metal in there. Difficult to remove as It's in the rotor where all the magnets are.

It all seems square enough and concentric to the nearest 0.1mm, but obviously the clearance is so tight, one shard is all it takes to lock it up!

Steve, I've two of the Emax BL2815-09 motors for a few years now, and both have been fine.

On 3S with 40A ESC and 11x7 prop they give around 400 Watts.

Both have had new bearings and shafts, but this was due to the (poor) quality of my flying when learning!!

Regards GDB

Thanks GDB.

Ordered, on the strength of your post!

I did look at the HK Donkey (What an awful name for a motor...), but in the past I've had excellent service from BRC and never blown up an Emax!!!

Anyway I did email BRC. Their customer service is lacking, they've not replied for 30m laugh

Stevo,

This one is a direct replacement, size wise, although it’s a slightly less kV value at 730. However, depending on your flying style that might not make too much difference. But if you do fancy a little pocket rocket at any time go for 4 cells, see (my) last post in this thread.

Have a good look at your motor and see if you can see what’s wrong; I’ve got a bit close up and personal with mine a time or two and it still keeps going. I’ve replaced the bearing/bush, the magnet rotor became loose on the shaft; that made a strange noise but of more concern was the sudden lack of flying speed: I fixed that by giving it a few clouts with a hammer and centre punch and a half a bucket of super glue. More recently I managed to clip a small tree at some distance in the middle of a big field; Sod’s law in action again. It managed to flick the circlip off the back end of the shaft and as I’d used my only spare and so far I’m unable to find the correct size replacement I filed the projection of the back end of the housing and popped a wheel collet on. It runs like a Swiss watch! Also as the result of a (mine) post in another thread I’ve now checked the actual kV, it’s 914 against 850 labelled; and the actual flying performance in the air says that the motor really is giving it’s all…

Good Luck!

PB

Oh yes I ran it on 4 cells, I did some basic static thrust measurements when I converted it from 3 cells (and took the steel weight out from the front).

I last flew it on Xmas day 2014 and then succumbed to several back problems, and it's been sitting inthe garage ever since crying

I replaced all the snakes, plus rehinged the elevator as it was plainly blinkin' AWFUL when I got it out of the box. Take a look here.

Thanks Chuck!

Unbelievable. Ordered from BRC yesterday. They then emailed me late today to say they were out of stock. Cancelled the order. Went onto AIRTEK (I've used them before) Guess what? Out of stock. Went to 4-MAX - it shows in stock but they only answer the phone up until 3PM.

Looked at LMS. Way too expensive.

Exasperated.

So I looked on ebaY... Loads for quad copters and the like. I remember almost dialling in the parameters and the choice was always there. I've been hit with "Out of stock" messages all afternoon.

Found one on Avicraft but no answer from their phone - will call them tomorrow. Is there a shortage of brushless motors ????

Edited By Stevo on 04/07/2016 18:37:42

Well here's an interesting turnaround.

After exhausting my search for a RIOT Motor, I looked for alternatives. I had them lined up on 4Max etc on Next day delivery.

I called Avicraft this morning, who said that there is indeed a shortage of ceramic magnets which are slowing down the delivery of brushless motors, and the alternative I had in mind was not in stock. It was only that I mentioned it was for a RIOT that Rob said that he had a spare hanging up in the shop.

I would like to add they were very helpful in exploring alternatives - and they rang ME back as well, a rarity these days.

I drove over and got one!

• 11 months later...

Thought I'd post this here as it may be helpful to someone in the future.

Whilst recently practising touch & go's with my (5 flight old) Max Thrust Riot (Devil), one turned into a bit of a thump and goblush. As soon as I opened up to go round, I could hear that something wasn't right, so limped it around the circuit and landed asap.

Inspection revealed that the prop must have touched the ground, jarring the motor enough to cause the plain bush bearing to break up (either that or it was never right from the start, more anon).

Rather than replace with the same somewhat basic motor, I looked around and came up with this **LINK**

At 910kV vs. the original's 850kV and 38a vs. 35, it's got a bit more oomph than the original. It's an easy fit, you can get away with drilling only one hole as it picks up on the pcd of 3 of the bulkhead fixing screws, or you can mark out and drill all four if you want an x mount rather than a +. Use the (supplied) screwed extension shaft screwed to the motor can and at least one washer behind each of the x mount fixings (extra washers @ top & left for down & right thrust) and no other mods required.

I checked the current and static it's pulling nearly 40A (the esc rating) on the supplied prop but after testing the life out of it today, no problem whatsoever in flight and nothing getting anything like warm. Also offers a slightly livelier performance and (unbelievably) longer duration than the original motor - I was measuring 25% remaining after an 8 minute flight, now 44% remaining, so maybe 10 minutes is now possible.

Anyway, a better quality motor than the original, cheaper and an easy fit, what's not to like?yes