Supporting wires

trebor

Advert

Straws would be a bit small unless I popped the wires out of the plugs, there is 5" of wire hanging off the servo too. I could cut the plug off and join to a long wire so I could pull it through. It's the first time I've mounted servos in the tail.

For the WotsWot XL I'm putting together I rolled a tube from lining paper around a broomstick. That extends from the rear of the radio bay to just in front of the servos. Don't forget to remove the broomstick before insertion or it may affect your CofG! You can just make out the front of the tube under the servo tay.

img_20160719_131807269[1].jpg

I just had a go making one from newspaper crying not very happy with it so its in the bin. I can't find any paper good enough yet. I dug out an old fishing landing net handle to roll it on, I'll see what paper I can find in the other half's drawers laugh yes

As long as they are retained where you can get at them Is there a problem with the rest of the wire "jangling about"?

I usually glue little brackets every couple of inches down the fuselage using a pair of long surgical forceps.

Motor & servo cables

This is using Depron but the principle works just a well using balsa or ply.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 02/08/2016 18:44:06

I just use A4 sheets that come through the post with writing on one side - I think they may be bills but I'm not sure . If you need long tubes just join several together with Sellotape. There's always magazine pages, too. I only bother with wings where access is difficult to impossible - I just feed them down a fuselage free and use a long surgical retractor like Simon. There used to be loads sold on the tool stalls at shows and they're very useful.

Geoff

Posted by trebor on 02/08/2016 13:32:24:

Straws would be a bit small unless I popped the wires out of the plugs, there is 5" of wire hanging off the servo too. I could cut the plug off and join to a long wire so I could pull it through. It's the first time I've mounted servos in the tail.

thumbs up

I've used straws, straight or those that have a corrugated section that can be set to an angle. The wide bore plastic ones can be squashed sufficiently flat to allow servos connectors to be pushed through, or pulled through with a piano wire hook (round the connector body, not the wires).

Edited By Ian Jones on 02/08/2016 22:16:44

I use the expanded foam tubes used to insulate water pipes. Cheap, can be cut to the size required, and has a slit that allows you to slot the wires in place and then slide the tube down the fuselage. Not much use for wings of course. This has the advantage of not causing any noise as the wires flop around inside the tube while the foam is friendly to any sudden sagging of the wires.

To make servo wire tubes, I've used gummed brown paper strip. Comes on a roll, about 50 mm wide. Find a piece of dowel or similar as a former, wrap with a strip of cling film. Wind the tape sticky (shiny) side OUT with a 5 mm or so overlap. Keep it tight with masking tape at both ends. Get a small brush and run a little water over the join - just enough to wet it. Leave until fully dry, remove from former. It's surprisingly strong. I've used them for wing servo wires in a 1/6 scale Piper Cub.

Norm

• 2 weeks later...

I have just made a set of tubes for a Ballerina wing using brown wrapping paper. Each tube was made from a 17" x 3" piece of paper wrapped round a length of 10mm gf tube (B+Q) This produced a 17" tube which can be cut to cut to fit when the wing is assembled.

Not having a suitable 11mm drill I used a 7mm and made 2 adjoining holes then trimmed to make elongated holes that the tube could be made to fit by slightly squashing'

Tube Fit

holes joined.jpg

I have bought a strip of ribbon cable from RS Components and strip of 3 wires at a time to run the length of the fuselage and then soldered each end of a short extension cable to the ends to make a permanent extender. If more than one servo is required then I add an extra wire off the ribbon for each servo signal wire and solder the extra connector to the common + and - then solder the connector signal wire to the spare wire.

Adrian