Tony Nijhuis 72” Mosquito – Build Log

Such a shame -- I know how you must feel. Like me you didn't seem to have been using flaps. Do those who have successfully flown the Mossie think that flaps would have saved us by delaying the wingtip stall?

I was toying with the idea of starting again since I've got the plans and all the equipment, but now I think I'll go for something simpler instead, with less-tapered wings. TN's Hurricane looks interesting, it uses the same motor so my equipment wouldn't be wastwed.

Hi,

I can only speak for my self, but I don't think there is something specifically wrong with the design or high wing loading. It is more fundamental than that....

1. Learnt on foam planes that have low wing loading and you can get away with "cut and glide", resulting poor technique of throttle control
  2. Foam models have generally low mass and large control surfaces which helps with recovery at low air speed, results in poor apperception energy management
  3. Electric is too controllable...more on that later!

Extra problems that skilled builders and experienced fliers may not fully appreciate for people like me. You guys have flown models with high wing loading and narrow flight envelopes (not a problem in its self), so you have a broad range of skills.

And here's my point

Typically the model will fly well, but it will not take prisoners if you get it too slow. high weight, high wing loading and small control throws just give too little time to save it.

I buried my BH electric mosquito (ARTF) on landing as it did not appreciate the increased drag of flaps and gear (I have to fly in with close to 50% throttle just to keep it flying). I buried my TN Ta154 last week because I slowed up to much and did not fly it to the ground.

PS

IC has and advantage, I don't like flying them with the throttle shut at low height, its subtle but I can't tell if its running of not...the result is that I am always flying at quite high throttle settings (sounds nice!). My point is that electric is very reliable, but it can get me into a poor habit...flying too slow.

PPS Flaps would have made it worse! more lift, but more drag, the issue (IMHO) was lack of airspeed (I am still learning the hard way).

Edited By Chris Walby on 26/10/2018 07:18:07

Further to the above, I also have the TN Hurri from the free plan. This uses a Tgy 50/50 Aerodrive motor the same as my Mossie but this time on 5S 5000 (1x3s and 1x2s to be able to just squeeze them in up against F1). Way over powered of course but I would have needed the nose weight anyway. It also carries a sound system and the wing loading is fine, the model being quite easy to fly.

The thing is, I also find that with the lack of motor noise it is difficult for me to get the throttle setting correct on the approach, and need to be careful with it on downwind turns. I use half then full 80 deg. of flap but if they are left in on touchdown it will invariably nose over.

From the video it appeared that the power must have been reduced (as you would normally tend to do).

I kept full power throughout the flight till just before touchdown and did not use flaps since there was a large trim change when I tried them during the flight.

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 26/10/2018 09:23:16