Tony Nijhuis 72” Mosquito – Build Log

• 4 weeks later...
Advert

I am wondering what best to do about control horns.

I usually use ones that screw into a back plate but for a scale model I feel this would look wrong.

I have been looking for glue in versions available in the UK but have only really found ones suitable for small foamies.

looking at Martin and Martian pictures, I am guessing you used glue in ones. Where did you get them and what did you use for the pull-pull horn on the rudder?

Geoff...

I used same ones on the tail feathers as the Aileron and flaps. I found ones with the same light grey as the color scheme. For the Ail and flaps, since there was significant hard wood in the structure, they were screwed in from the bottom so nothing visible from wing top.. For the tail feathers I went with screw through for strength..

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXET44&P=7

You can make them out on picture earlier in thread...

I've used the commercial nylon ones with a back-plate, but in the case of the 72" Mossie I've simply left off the back-plates because I'm sure there's enough screw length into the wood to hold things together, and the stock screws don't reach the other side anyway. I poke a drop of medium (i.e. reasonably slow setting) cyano into the screw holes before finally inserting the screws. With a bit of Halfords plastic primer, which I use for the whole model, they're then easy to paint the same colour as the model.

Good luck with the maiden Mike, hope all goes well. I always find it a bit of a 'squirty bottom' moment!

I have rubbed down the primer with we & dry, filled any imperfections and rubbed that down.

It is now ready for the final colours to go on.

img_3433.jpg

img_3435.jpg

Pictures above are before the final rub down of the filler.

More later...

Mike, I am hoping to use the vac-formed ones supplied by Tony. Will have to see how things pan out.

I did a bit more spraying yesterday.

I thought I would try Valspar paint mixed at B&Q. I am thinning it with blue car screen wash.

The wash I have is concentrated so I have diluted to 25% with water.

Then I mixed 100ml paint with 30ml diluted wash.

It seemed to spray on and cover quit well.

img_3439.jpg

More later...