Tony Nijhuis 72” Mosquito – Build Log

Thanks gents.

The camera angle/lens used to take the pictures has made the wheels look a bit oversize.

I have recently purchased a cheap 3D printer which is waiting to be put together. In the meantime I have been learning how to use CAD software.

I am having a go with Autodesk Fusion 360 which is free to use for students and hobbyists.

So far I have produced some exhaust stacks which I may use on the Mossie.

s2.jpg

s1.jpg

More later...

• 1 month later...

Every time I go outside to do some sanding........... it starts spitting with rain angry Ho Hum.

Apart from some final filling and sanding, I think I have finished the nacelles!

Here's some pics:

img_3921.jpg

img_3925.jpg

img_3927.jpg

img_3935.jpg

img_3937.jpg

As you can see, I decided to use foam for the rear pieces - easier to shape.

Onward and upward.

More later.

Geoff...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Posted by Geoff Gardiner on 16/10/2016 18:05:20:

Top wing surfaces now fitted and roughly sanded (excuse the untidy bench).

img_3552.jpg

img_3554.jpg

img_3565.jpg

Made a start on the nacelles.

img_3561.jpg

img_3567.jpg

More later...

HI A trick i learnt from a spitfire blog and i used on my build of a spit was to use large zip lock plastic bags filled with water perfect to hold down the sheeting. Hope it helps someone

terry

Hi,

More information at The Peoples Mosquito, **LINK** a charity with its aim to bring one back to the UK skies.

Wing ribs have been build and are in storage, just need funds for the fuselage, any donations welcomed.

Apparently the drawings will re-write the history books as to the models and modifications that were designed, but may not have been seen in production.

Edited By Chris Walby on 08/08/2017 15:44:10

Years ago, my father who worked during WWII as an inspector at D. H. in Boreham Wood told me he had been involved in the building of a Mossie with a Gun Turret. I have never seen anything in any flying mag to confirm this. does anyone out there have any knowledge to confirm or otherwise please.

Monty2, visit The Peoples Mosquito web site, they have a forum where you can post your question as they a couple of guys with very extensive knowledge of the wooden wonder. Good news is that they have about 22,000 drawings, but it is taking a little time to work through them, I think they are about 4,000 through to date.

After a brief chat a few weeks ago it was mentioned that the drawings show proposed modifications that were contemplated and may have even got to prototype e.g. the capability of torpedo's so a turret is a real possibility.

Any information for The Peoples Mosquito will help fill in the gaps that the drawings can't provide.

Martin M

How long were your lipo to ESC leads? + what make/model ESC's were they?

The prototype Mossie was mocked up with a turret to appease Ministry requests about armament , but proceeded no further. Several of my books have the same picture. Whilst looking through my library of Mossies books for a reference to the turret , i came across a long lost picture of the prototype at Boscombe when apparently being assembled. It's a black/white photo that shows the aircraft's yellow paint as black ! Ortho something film ! The u/ c doors are missing and EO 234 can just be made out and it has tiny forward facing scoops in the nacelles ! I found it at Badminton air show decades ago and only recognised it's importance when I got home. Cost £2 . Colin

Chris W.,

About 15" from the esc to the standard battery connector so the extension is no more than 10" of very heavy gauge wire. Caps. soldered directly to esc PCB`s.

I am only guessing at the cause since no earlier problems in flight or during testing.

ESC`s used were TGY Deluxe which I also use on other models. Now going to try YEP 100A.

There's a very long thread on RCGroups forum about "Too long battery leads ..." will cause a problem over time.  It's something to do with electric ripples that can be generated in the leads, leading initially to failure of the ESC's capacitors and then the clever electronics bits.  So extending the motor wires if necessary is always the preferred option.  Alternatively you can add extra capacitors across the power leads where they enter the ESC -- longer wires need more capacitance.

I have read that and soldered the caps. directly to the ESC`s as suggested (the correct low Z ones). As I said above I am only guessing at the problem. My Lanc. has the motor wires extended instead. The idea of fitting the ESC`s in the cowls was to aid cooling. The Lanc. gets very little of this but the ESC`s are way over rated for the motors which is why I am going for 100A in the Mossie instead of the original 55A ones.