Converting a T7CP to 2.4ghz

Fun Flyer

A question to all those who've been there and done that; is it possible or advisable to convert a Futaba T7CP Tx from 35mhz to 2.4ghz. I know that there's already a thread on converting a TC7P but I'm not sure if they're the same Tx.

I ask because a few of us in our club who still fly on 35mhz have noticed unexplained, and unprecedented, glitching and mishaps recently and I for one am thinking of changing to 2.4 if I can easily convert my Tx.

Advert

I have converted four of these transmitters in the past with the last one being only about three weeks ago and can honestly tell you it is very easy following the instructions on Youtube and online else where.

I have been flying with one converted for the last few years with no problems what so ever and the receivers are very cheap and easy to bind and have excellent range.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks to all for the information and apologies for the slow reply. I had seen some information on the web but you guys have managed to pull it all together pretty well.

While I'm leaning towards converting the Tx I'm still not convinced that its worth the trouble. I have been flying on 35mhz without any problems for more than thirty years but events of the past two months have brought this to a head.

Two experienced flyers have lost models which went in without any warning and for no reason that was discernible afterwards. I've had three separate models, two electric and one IC take on a mind of their own for a few seconds before recovering. My three were at altitude so no harm was done.

Percy, our field is miles away from garage doors or door bells but I do take the point that we don't know what else is out there!

Ian, thanks for making it sound so easy.

• 2 months later...

I've received the FrSky Module at last and have even progressed to looking in the back of the Tx. Am I right in believing that the Red, Brown and Black, Mod, +Vcc and Gnd, wires in the photo are where the module needs to be spliced in?

I wnt to be very sure before I reach for the wire cutters that I'm not going to ruin a perfectly good Tx!dont know

20161026_205243.jpg

Thats right, but remember you're connecting your Frsky module to the wires, not to the pos/neg/mod pads marked on the PCB in the photo. Also bear in mind Futabas strange use of colour:

red=neg
brown=pos
black=ppm (mod)

Remember to remove the crystal from the old RF board. If its a DHT 'hack' module, and you only even intend to use two-way (D series) receivers, then you can discard the one-way/two-way switch - it unplugs from the bind board. You can in fact discard the whole bind board, which is what we normally do. There are some Bind-board notes at the bottom of the Archive page of singlechannel.co.uk

Dont power the module without an aerial attached. On my 6EX I put the aerial inside the handle which is very convenient when fighting through 5 feet of bracken. A black felt-pen top fitted the 35 aerial hole perfectly.

Cheers
Phil

Thanks Phil, interesting information as usual on the single channel site. Futaba do seem to be in a world of their own when it comes to colour coding.

I was thinking of fitting a two way switch in the Vcc line so that I could switch power between the original 35Mhz board and the 2.4Ghz module. That way I don't need to do a complete Rx refit of the existing models.

Posted by Fun Flyer on 27/10/2016 15:20:13:

Thanks Phil, interesting information as usual on the single channel site. Futaba do seem to be in a world of their own when it comes to colour coding.

I was thinking of fitting a two way switch in the Vcc line so that I could switch power between the original 35Mhz board and the 2.4Ghz module. That way I don't need to do a complete Rx refit of the existing models.

Hi Fun Flyer. I used to switch between 35 meg and 2.4 until one day I forgot to extend the aerial while using 35 meg surprise. Very nearly flew through a fence and just got aerial up in time. After that I went entirely over to 2.4 and at FrSky prices it didn't cost the earth.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 27/10/2016 16:53:07

Posted by Engine Doctor on 27/10/2016 16:51:34:
Posted by Fun Flyer on 27/10/2016 15:20:13:

Hi Fun Flyer. I used to switch between 35 meg and 2.4 until one day I forgot to extend the aerial while using 35 megÂÂ surprise. Very nearly flew through a fence and just got aerial up in time. After that I went entirely over to 2.4 and at FrSky prices it didn't cost the earth.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 27/10/2016 16:53:07

That would be a constant niggle!! frown

• 2 weeks later...