BMFA Nationals 2017?

Advert

• 1 month later...

Having just flicked through the latest BMFA News which dropped on my doormat this morning, I'm wondering why this year's missing Nats couldn't have been run at Elvington. The heavy lift competition was run there and there was mention of a 2 mile runway being available...although never having been there I'm unaware of such factors as parking availability. Any locals know any more?

Other than repeating what has been posted on the BMFA website, there's no mention of the future of the Nats as far as I can see. Maybe no news is good news, and they're keeping their powder dry for now. Let's live in hope that the 'star attraction' of the NFC hasn't sunk the need for a major meeting held at Barkston in the minds of the BMFA executive, if Barkston does become available to us again in the future.

i and others from BVRMC attended many a show at elvington in the 90's...it was models in the morning and full size in the afternoon........ i'm sure that the site would be ideal for the nats in some form........... but its tooooo far north ...away from the BMFA powerhouse......which it appears they want to keep it at.....correct me if i'm wrong...

ken Anderson...ne....1 elvington for the Nats dept.

Well BMFA stalwart Andy Symmons lives pretty close to York or at least did when he ran the super fly-ins at Castle Howard a few years back.

Not sure whether Elvington's layout would easily host the number of flight lines that Barkston does. Even at Barkston the show line aircraft regularly encroached on the scale area just a bit further down the runway. I remember the pre-Christmas events at Elvington but there wasn't much flying.

Geoff

Hope I'm wrong, but I have a nasty feeling we have seen the last Nats at Barkston Heath, and perhaps the last in the "everything goes" format full stop. With the RAF divesting airfields for housing at a fair rate and station commanders and other authorities more worried about the 'elf and safety aspects allowing us to use airfields it is just a lot easier for them to say no than yes.

Edited By MattyB on 27/09/2016 10:30:53

of course the other thing is ...once something stop's ..... in a lot of cases its hard to get it going again(flying show's/events that is)...so even if the BMFA and whoever decide to have a nats again....I fear it will be in a totally different shape/form apart from name only...for better/worse..time will tell.. kulou

ken Anderson...ne...1 .....grim reaper dept.