Noob saying Hi with a question

John Winnard

Hi All from sunny Wigan

Just Joined the forum, looks great, info everywhere.

I haven't bought any gear (yet) i'm after first phoenix simulator and a ok(ish) Tx.

I can't make my mind up between the spektrum dx7s, dx8 (older one) or new dx6 - secondhand dx8 100quid - dx7s around 80ish, new dx6 130quid - I don't think i'll need more than 6ch but unsure which could be best option.

i like these because of the model match and don't see myself getting large plane or heli's

any advice would be welcome,

Cheers

john

Advert

Hi John, welcome to the fold.

I returned to RC after being away for 29 years !!!

I bought a DX7s two years ago and am very happy with it. It is easy to programme and is still totally reliable.

I only use it with DSMX receivers and I recommend you do the same. Good luck starting in to this most absorbing hobby.

Dane.

You are very welcome and you have asked a number of valid questions, which has opened about 3 cans of worms.

A novice is well advised to get the Phoenix sim, and to have 6 channels available. Spectrum gear is in abundance, it is easily available, easy to programme and as you say has model match

Every flyer has his favourite manufacturer, and like cars, there are makes that many will recommend and other car makes that they will not touch.

It is the same with TX

I would recommend though, a new TX and not preowned, but that is personal choice.

All your stated model numbers would meet your present requirements

Welcome! And a wise man! Its a very good idea to get some advice before you buy!

Normally I would advise speaking with the guys from the local club before investing in anything - that way you are sure to get gear that is capatable with what they have and so they can support and help you better. But quite honestly Spekky gear (though not the best from my perspective either in terms of price or capability - but that just bears out what Denis says above about personal taste in this decision!!) is very popular and I'm sure if you get that you will find guys in the local club with the same. So its safe to go ahead - despite my preference being elsewhere I acknowledge that Spekky stuff is good quality, popular and does the job.

Re how many channels? Well the fact is that for the earlier stages of your flying you are quite right - 6 channels will be plenty. Your first models will probably only use 4 channels - Rudder, Elevator, Throttle and Aileron. The problem is it doesn't stay like that. Quite quickly you start wanting more. Last week I set up a new model - this is not a "high end, high tech" model - but take a look at the channel count I used:

Channel 1: Rudder

Channel 2: Elevator

Channel 3: Throttle

Channel 4: Left Aileron

Channel 5: Right Aileron

Channel 6: Retractable undercarriage.

Channel 7: Left Flap

Channel 8: Right Flap

Channel 9: Stabiliser Flight Mode.

Channel 10: Sound System Control.

You get the idea - this stuff grows! Now its quite true that lots of modellers don't want all this stuff. They are happy to run things like ailerons and flaps from Y-leads and use a single channel (but that list above would still be 8 channels even then!). But you express a wish to go to larger models - so you are going to need twin servos on things like elevators and rudders - and to get ease of trimming you are going to want separate channels.

So, what am I saying? I'm saying if you buy a 6 channel Tx it will be great for a year, maybe two years? But if you follow the path you have suggested you will have to replace it with a much hight channel count Tx eventually. Now that's OK - you will be able t sell the 6 channel job and recoup some of the price. So my advise is probably - but a new DX6 but be aware you'll probably be upgrading it in a year or two.

BEB

cheers chaps for the sound advise,

I did look at the turnigy 9x because of the channels and cheap price but there seem to have way too many problems and hardly any support, even for use with a simulator you need to mod it or remove the module thingy every time which isn't a good idea as the antenna is hard wired.

just been looking on ebay at the DX6 gen2 - the seller warns 'it only supports DSMX' - does this hinder the DX6 in any way as other Tx's have dsm2 & dsmx ?

Don't buy secondhand radio gear - you don't know how it has been treated. Buy only new from a dealer.

A new Spektrum Tx can only be DSMX they are not allowed to sell DSM2 Tx in the EC now. Anyone can use DSM2 still if they bought ( imported to EC ) it before Jan 2015. So that means old gear can be used but you cannot buy a new TX on DSM2 But you don't want DSM2 anyway.

I have never needed more than 6 channels in the last 30 years of flying.

welcome from me john....dont buy anything until you have got your head around what you need and are going to do...pop along to a local club and see what they are are using and have a crack with the flyer's......they'll show you some radio's and models...I would also be cautious buying 2nd hand radio gear-unless you know the seller...... there are a few/lot of arthur daley's out there.... kulou

ken Anderson...ne..1.... welcome dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 30/08/2016 09:39:30

Hi from me. I have to agree with all that has been said.

I like Spektrum radio. I am still using my DX7 which was one of the first in the country. It has never given a spot of trouble.

I have never managed to use all 7 channels and even my nextmodel with all normal whistles and bells will only use 6.

If you later want to go to more cahnnels, fine. You will still have your original Tx as a standby. I am still using a very old 35 Mhz Futaba radio for some models.

Before you buy a radio or plane check what your local club use including which Mode.

Some clubs teach on mode 1 ( throttle right) whilst most radios are sold as Mode 2 ( throttle left) If your local club uses Mode 1 you can change the mode yourself but it's better to buy the correct one or have the dealer change it to avoid warranty problems. ( means taking the back off and moving throttle ratchet then a special sequence of switch settings to change the software on Spektrum. ) So you dont want to do this yourself. You don't want to be the only person on a different mode at your club - means nobody else can grab your Tx in an emergency and nobody can offer you a flight of their model either.

Clubs often have a preference for a particular make of radio for training. Often it's Spektrum but depends on what the chief instructor uses. Same with trainers - instructors often prefer a particular design, so that's the one to have. Dealers often sell whatever they have in stock to unsuspecting newcomers and instructors hate trying to teach on a model that is not really right for the purpose ( often it's too small )

Edited By kc on 30/08/2016 19:05:16

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Welcome to the hobby

I fly Spektrum and its great kit, I started with a DX8 and now have a DX18, like Biggles said above very quickly you start wanting more channels planes become a bit of an addiction!

Have a look at the FR Sky Tyranis, these are awesome radios, 9 channel and do everything they need to for a very affordable price, the receivers all have built in telemetry, a lot of folk are switching over to them. FR Sky has not long released a new radio the Horus so you may even get a Tyranis for a good price. You can also change the module in the back so you can up the channel count and or get it to run JR receivers and Spektrum Receivers, so they are very flexable.

Good luck on your search!