Crossover EP glider/sailplane

I have a silent flight club not too far from where I live with a great bunch of lads, which I've visited and would like to join as an addition to my regular power club.

Most of the guys there fly electric powered (EP) sail planes of 3m plus span some of which cost a kings ransome. As I'm a newbie flirting with electric at the moment, I'd like something more reasonably priced and maybe a model that would provide a little limited aerobatic performance along with slow sink characteristics. perhaps 2metres +? A sort of crossover model as per my title.

My building board is occupied currently so ARTF or RTF would be ideal. I'm confused by all the offerings I see on line so advice from those that have been there and done that would be great.

Any thoughts.

Vic

Advert

Hi Vic. I can reccomend the 2m Radian electric glider. Rudder, elevator and motor 3 channel. Climbs very quickly to gliding height and then will glide very well without the motor running. Very stable and forgiving but can be thrown about a bit. I've had two as I made a very stupid mistake on the first after many flights and damaged the fus. beyond repair. Also have the Radian Pro 5 channel, rudder,elevator,motor, flaps and ailerons. Not yet flown so can't compare the two. Had a small problem with the Pro in as much as there is not too much room to squeeze the Rx in as there are more wires from the aileron and flaps competing for space where I put the Rx in the Radian. Others will undoubtedly have other reccomendations. Shopping around can find some good deals.

John

Edited By John Tee on 30/08/2016 13:09:28

From Multiplex, both the Solius and Heron are worth a look if you're happy to fly foamies.

If you prefer built up models then take a look at the offerings from Staufenbiel and Topmodel. Both offer a wide range of models that offer good value for money.

http://www.modellhobby.de/

http://www.topmodel.fr/

Steve.

Edited By Steve Colman on 30/08/2016 17:43:12

Edited By Steve Colman on 30/08/2016 17:44:08

Posted by Anthony Scott 2 on 30/08/2016 19:40:32:

The HK Phoenix is unbeatable as VFM. It soars well & can do outside loops!

Seconded as VFM. Mine is mostly used as my 'lift test' choice at a slope. If it will cope without motor use, my Phase 6 will stay up! Despite the HK web site saying that additional servos were needed for the flaps, mine came with fall servos installed and enough linkages in the hardware pack. Others that I have met seem to have had the same.

To answer this question you really need to decide where your preferences lie in terms of performance, and where you are going to do most of your flying. Based on this here would be my recommendations:

• Mostly flat field soaring, occasional mild aerobatics - Mpx Solius or (my preference) Heron in ARTF or ready to run (plug and play) form. Great build quality and performance, can be used in a wide range of conditions and can take a knock. Alternatively the Staufenbiel composite models mentioned earlier are good bets, but will work out more expensive.
  • Pure flat field thermalling in light conditions - HH Radian or Radian XL. Great thermal performance for a foamie, but will struggle in a breeze and no real aerobatic potential without ailerons.
  • Mix of slope and flat field use - The P2000 mentioned before is pretty unbeatable value if you want a jack of all trades, though the Solius and to a lesser extent the Heron are good here too.
  • More of an adrenaline junkie? - Consider the ST Models Blaze on 3S packs; it won't stay up as well off the flat of course, but is faster and more precise and is good off the slope too. If you want to get closer to hotliner territory on a budget though you may be best to wait a few weeks for the all new Durafly Excalibur on 4S - judging by this video it is going to be a lot of fun....

I note that your building board is busy, but when it comes clear how about building a Red Eagle. The plan is available from RCME and is simple and quick to build and flies really well. Two metre span with only rudder, elevator, and throttle control. May not handle the slope so well but an ideal first EP glider.
Roger from NZ

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

Thank you so much to all those who responded with suggestions. I made a list of the models put forward. Then I set about the Internet for reviews and videos etc. I spent an enjoyable week enjoying everyone's experiences with their models, which was great Co's I couldn't go flying at the time.

I made my choice and yesterday the postman dropped off my Phoenix 2000.

I'm still in the anticipation phase, with the model box on the dining room table, a cuppa in my hand imagining all those enjoyable sessions to come. I guess we all do that in our own way?

Once again............Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

VC

Update!

Thank you so much to all those who responded with suggestions. I made a list of the models put forward. Then I set about the Internet for reviews and videos etc. I spent an enjoyable week enjoying everyone's experiences with their models, which was great Co's I couldn't go flying at the time.

I made my choice and yesterday the postman dropped off my Phoenix 2000.

I'm still in the anticipation phase, with the model box on the dining room table, a cuppa in my hand imagining all those enjoyable sessions to come. I guess we all do that in our own way?

Once again............Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

VC

Good choice VC, I think you will enjoy it. Did yours come with the flap servos included or not?

Just one small recommendation - give the model a thorough check over and test all the servos before assembly, as at this price point you can get the occasional did. Personally I always swap out the elevator servo on cheap PNP models like this just to be sure; you can fly and land without one aileron servo or the rudder, but not without the elevator!

Hi MattyB,

Mine came minus any servos for flaps, although I did order some extra servos as the addition of flaps seemed like a good idea. Many of the reviews I watched thought it was a better model for adding the flaps.

One reviewer from Australia also recommended fitting a skid at the rear of the fus. to keep the rudder clear of the grass plus two small skids on the underside of the wing tips for similar reasons.

I hear what you say about the servos and I've taken your idea on board, thank you. Any thoughts on a suitable replacement servo?

VC