Harrier Jump Jet- The aeromodelling Holy Grail !!!!

• 1 month later...
Advert

I have to compliment you Tony on the article in December RCM and E. It really highlights the level of success, and disappointment, you experienced during the development. And for someone like me who has built 2 models from plans, its actually encouraging that, even for the experts, not every flight is a success!

Your comment about descending when the aircraft is yawed in the hover is spooky, because it replicates exactly what the real aircraft did (I think I mentioned I flew Harriers in the RAF, actually I flew GR3s, AV8Bs and the GR5/7) because the yaw thrust duct (puffer duct) contributed nothing to total lift (pitching up or down, and small amounts of roll, produced only a downward thrust from the appropriate puffer duct, so it contributed to the overall lift).

Well done, and it you do decide to get involved in a RTF version, count me in!!

Finally, I am intrigued to know who the AVM mentioned in the Autumn Special editorial was, as I probably flew with him in the 80s and 90s.

Fantastic work, and well done again.

Tim Cheal

Thanks Tim for the kind comment......its amazing how models do replicate the full size....even the Harrier. I once designed an 8th scale miles Monitor and it was not a nice flying model but never knew why until I read some original test reports on the full-size....the title was entitled 'tried tested and failed'

Since the Harrier article was published I have carried out some more tweaks on the loop tuning and have improved the control and stability further so its now a nicely sorted model....

now working on a turbine version (but not a Pegasus) ....using hot gas on all four outlets....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a quick update on the Harrier....two more prototypes being built in depron, this time all laser cut .... managed to save yet more weight which is good news....not ruling out a very limited run of kits as I have secured a batch of control boards, programmable servos and new 64mm fans...

img_5659.jpg

Also been experimenting with some new 64mm fans with larger motors that AEO over in China have sent me....these can comfortably operate on 4S so reliability and additional power should be very welcome and hopefully more duration

img_5662.jpg

Still no progress on the ARTF version unfortunately...a number of manufactures/supplies I spoke with i think got there fingers burnt with the latest VTOL Transition and the Horizon Convergence so the appetite has been lost for now...

• 1 month later...
Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 07/05/2018 19:22:10:
Posted by Joel Vlashof on 07/05/2018 19:00:54:

here is my first take off very exciting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0VLjUtucU0

WOW thumbs up

yep incredible work im following this on you tube

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Aaron,

No up-dates as yet as I have taken some time out of aeromodelling...burning the midnight oil over all these years has taken it toll on the health over the past few months....close to burn out!....however, getting back in the swing of it with renewed vigour so expect to see some up-dates over the next few months....

The FC i have are a clone of the NanoWii board bought from the US.....

A slight set back was I crashed prototype No.11 below....on a positive note it was pilot error and i did learn that the CofG is absolutely critical to achieve a smooth transition....If the CofG is forward by 1/2" or so, the model rears up in transition. if the CofG is rear by 1/2" the model pitches down on transition....

394a9163.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wow that sounds incredible. I can't find a single 64mm fan unit that draws less than 30 amps by its self.

I'm willing to purchase a parts list from you if you decide to make one available. Until then I look forward to seeing more.

Edited By Aaron Hill on 19/07/2018 23:12:35