Harrier Jump Jet- The aeromodelling Holy Grail !!!!

Advert

Thanks Guys,

It has been a journey and I shall be summing it all up in the December issue of RCM&E...unfortunately the design is just too complicated to ever produce as a plan or kit.........hopefully I will be having some talks about an 'out of the box' ARTF version soon so I'll keep you posted.

Out of interest and with all I have learnt to date, especially the software tuning and mastering transition , it can now be applied to a turbine version.....may be next week hey!!

When I first worked for RR in 1965 the idea was to use lift engines (as per the Flying Bedstead, I suppose) and test were being carried out in Derby using an Alison engine but I wasn't involved. Of course all that was shelved once the merger with Bristol meant the Pegasus vectored thrust engine became available and the rest is history. Tony's fantastic project has resorted to the original idea, I suppose.

It's a huge credit to his engineering skills as well as his determination in the face of early failures. Just shows that failures aren't failures if you learn from them and move on.

Geoff

Hi Tony

is there any chance that you could produce a plan for your Harrier design to fly in conventional layout,but with a few suggestions(based on your personal experiences) for people to have a go at the VSTOL idea themselves? It would be a great shame to confine to the history books a design that you've worked so hard on just because of the complexities you've encountered and overcome with success as its a great design even if most will only achieve conventional flight

​Kindest Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

It would be a shame not to progress the idea which is why the discussions have started for an ARTF version....

The idea of a conventional flying Harrier (not VTOL) plan very nearly made it into the RCME special this year but i crashed it on testing so there was no time to sort it out.

hopefully next year.

Fantastic Roll on the 2018 special!

​I would imagine the same principles could be applied to the Harriers replacement the F35 JSF. The latest Hawk is absolutely brilliant Tony and I thank you immensely for all of your plans that you have done so far...the Harrier though is something else though and if an F35 came into the fray one day that really would be some 'Next Level Sh..owmanship! That Pegasus fan is awesome to Andy Meade also is it functional and been tested in a model yet?

​Kindest Regards

Steve

Posted by Andy Meade on 09/10/2017 14:22:40:

Like this?

edf peggy.jpg

Thanks for like my scale pegasus

My name is Joel, from the netherlands and i love to build Vtol jets. I started on the harrier a few weeks ago, so i would like to try to build the harrier as scale as possible, just like my other Project is the F-35B.

please like the video and i will keep you guys posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Id9INpU_Q

Thanks Steve for your kind comments.......The F35 is some what different and dare i say it a little easier.....there are a number of modellers out there if you troll through youtube who have got the F35 hovering (including Melanie) and one guy in china has it hovering/flying so the challenge was albeit achieved for that model....the Harrier was always my dream

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 13/10/2017 19:18:59:

Thanks Steve for your kind comments.......The F35 is some what different and dare i say it a little easier.....there are a number of modellers out there if you troll through youtube who have got the F35 hovering (including Melanie) and one guy in china has it hovering/flying so the challenge was albeit achieved for that model....the Harrier was always my dream

Hi Tony,

Agree, the F-35B is different but not more easy if you go scale like i did. the thrust weight ratio during transiton is hard to configure because the front edf has to work correctly combined the main edf (both 120mm) meanwhile the 3BSD swivels backwards. but it is awsome. I love youre video and i like to see youre harrier do it the inbound and outbound. idea to put some extra detail like landing gears to make your vid more Awsome?

Joel

ps Melanie is my wife:P but also builder for carbon fuselage

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 13/10/2017 19:18:59:

Hi Tony,

Agree, the F-35B is different but not more easy if you go scale like i did. the thrust weight ratio during transiton is hard to configure because the front edf has to work correctly combined the main edf (both 120mm) meanwhile the 3BSD swivels backwards. but it is awsome. I love youre video and i like to see youre harrier do it the inbound and outbound. idea to put some extra detail like landing gears to make your vid more Awsome?

Joel

ps Melanie is my wife:P but also builder for carbon fuselage

Hi Joel

Apologies for the misnaming.....I have watched your ongoing exploits with great interest on YouTube and really admire your achievement.....so well done

The Pegasus looks great and i look forward to seeing the progression.....it would be great to have a truly operational scale harrier at some point in the future.....

The video was taken of my Mk10 harrier, the Mk11 has retracts in and a little more detail so just waiting for some good weather and we'll video that to.....keep up the good work

Re: The 3D print Pegasus. Very nice model, but I can't see how you could possibly get equal thrust between the front and back nozzles bu simply blowing in from the front...

And what about bleeding air off for roll/pitch/yaw control?

My limited knowledge of Reynolds numbers would suggest that this one won't scale down easily. Would love to see this on a thrust rig with some efficiency numbers...