Spacewalker II wing attachment dowels

PAT

I'm looking for help please in trying to source the two different size wing attachment dowels for a Three piece (84" winged Skywalker II. I have checked out both of the SIG Skywalker II (and Skywalker II 120), and included the Seagull version, in my so far unsuccessful search.

The plane itself was a lucky find at the local car boot and despite it's fuselage being in two pieces, was in reasonably good condition, making it an easy fix. Presumably the 4, (two each side), missing dowels will be alloy tubes similar to the solo one featured on the SIG Skywalker II 120.

The wing centre section spans 18" and has carbon fibre tubes provisioned for the dowel attachment pins, as has the outer wing roots, (a separate lug located under each wing on both sides locks the outer wing panels to the centre section.

It would be reasonably easy to obtain 20mm and 13mm diameter substitutes but I have no idea as to the tubing wall gauge necessary, to ensure safety with in flight stresses and avert disaster.

Worthy of note is that the model may have been modified from the original design but is is not a scratch built plane, as I have found Skywalker II printed on the front cockpit instrument panel former.

Many thanks for any info you may have, it's appreciated

Pat

Advert

Hi Denis, The original full size aircraft fuselage was I understand tubular framed and had a wooden wing but this model has a built up wood structure fuselage and conventional tail plane and fin.

Hello Peter, I thought I might put my question to the forum first, having downloaded both the Sig Skywalker II build manuals, where I found the smaller version had a one piece wing joined together on dihedral formers and the larger 120 version had the single alloy tube fitted to mount the wing halves on. Thanks for the suggestion though, I will take some pictures and make some enquiries, Seagull may also be worth approaching as they may also have an additional Skywalker II model that I have not seen yet.

p9268197.jpgp9268195.jpgp9268194.jpgp8218181.jpgHi Folks Sorry about delay in replying to all your kind contributions and suggestions but have just had a hectic weekend. Following KC and Cymaz tips, I read with interest the feature he pointed out and then carried out another inspection of the airframe clearing some overspray, only to find that KC thought that it could be a Spacewalker II airframe, as opposed to a Skywalker II one was correct, as you may be able to see from the photo of the cockpit facia.Very embarrassing, no wonder I was not making any progress....sorry guys. I am hoping the photos will shed a little more light and make identification more feasible. Thanks again for all your help.p9268191.jpgble.

I have a Sig Spacewalker II which I purchased half built. The wings are in three pieces as per your photos. But this is a modification from the kit.

If you measure the tube holes you should be able to purchase carbon tubes on the web. I got some on Ebay for another plane recently. I was concerned about the strength in that instance (long glider wings) so I found a tight fitting dowel to put inside the cf tubes to prevent them collapsing.

The tubes in my SW were rescued from another model.

Hi Charles, Thanks for the info, (I hope you received my email),I can now stop searching for a kit that does not exist. As I mentioned the carbon tubes are already fitted so I'll do as you suggest and find suitable doweling to do the job. My sincere thanks to everyone that's helped me on my journey of discovery, your all Stars.