RCM&E Plans Service is on the move

Ok, some news from my colleagues at the Plans Service.

In a nutshell, the RCM&E Plans Range is available from Traplet Publications from today. I understand the existing website remains operational for the time being. This consolidation is no doubt a reflection of the 'internet' effect on traditional paper plan sales and the deal involves the transfer of 3 existing magazine titles to RCM&E's publisher MyTime Media.

Needless to say, free pull-out plans will continue to be included with RCM&E every month as they always have.

Knowing that some of the forum's armchair 'experts' will be keen deliver their usual hobby/publishing industry assessments wink 2 perhaps I should add that the Plans Service is/was a completely separate business to RCM&E magazine.

If you have a question then drop a post below and Beth and I will do our best to answer.

Thanks

David

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 03/10/2016 16:27:43

Advert

David

I personally think it makes perfect sense to amalgamate all model plans together, although there may has been more interest in recent times it can't be a real money spinner I would have thought, me I have a pretty vast collection and will always be interested in plans, it would be good if Traplet could get hold of the ADH range as there some real pearls there too, luckily I got the ones I wanted.

Some of us have "Reward points" still remaining - will these be retained? ( the points in many cases will have been acquired by submitting our photos which are used as part of the plan description. These are not the designers original photos but newer photos submitted by customers. Presumably Traplet will still want to use our photos )

I don't think it matters under whose roof the plan service sits so long as the operation remains viable and the plans remain available

And on the plus side, I grew up in the area where Traplet are located, and still have family there, so I can get any future purchases collected ready for visits home - no more p&p for me smiley

Good q re the X-List Martyn K. Who knows, it may be better off under the new ownership - they might actually publish the index and plans classifications, without which the X-List is impenetrable unless you actually remember details of the plan you're after, or have some old plans handbooks

Woodpacks might be one "wait and see". Don't think I've ever heard much negative about MHS woodpacks, but I've heard of quite a few issues re Traplet's - including two acquaintances whose purchases were so poor they sent them straight back as beyond any level of reasonable fettling or redemption. Hopefully those were the exception.

Anyway, all the best to the new operation and long may plans continue to be available. It's probably long been a declining market - hence no doubt the rather steep prices that pretty much preclude buying a plan to peruse it just out of interest. However, we should be grateful that they continue to be on sale

My own experience with Traplet plans/wood packs was pretty dire. It was a boat rather than an aeroplane but to be fair they refunded all my money, including the cost of the plans and the instructional DVD so, as I was able to modify the wood to fit, I was happy. Built the hull but that's as far as I've got - another unfinished project I seem to lack stamina.

I've sent off for the three way drawing and wood pack from Traplet and they phoned me today to ask if I wanted the magazine article. I know it was a sales spin but it shows they're on the ball and I bought the mag to be included in the postage. I just needed a quickish build to get me out of the doldrums.

Geoff

Thanks for the information, David and Beth.

I have had connections with the publishing world for many years and am familiar with the wants and needs of the companies involved. Not to mention the costs. It is not the glamourous industry some people think it is !

It will be interesting to see what Traplet do with this now extremely large back catalogue of plans from many original sources. Many of which are now approaching the end of copyright. The storage alone for the master copies must be a headache in itself !

I am a little curious about one aspect of this deal. If Traplet are to handle all existing RCM&E plans now and in the future, how will the magazine be able to review new plans by designers contracted to Traplet ? Does this mean that new designs (particularly scale) will not be reviewed by yourselves ? Is the magazine to be just a shop window for boxes produced in the Far East. I doubt it, but these are the sorts of questions likely to be asked, certainly in the near future.

On a final note, Ian has commented about the "steep prices" of plans. Why do so many people complain about this ? If you look back through the history of model plans you will see that they are no more expensive today relatively, than they were 50 years ago. In fact they are probably cheaper now in real terms! Would you buy a book just to flick through the pages to see if you fancied reading it? What I cannot understand is why model boat plans are comparatively more expensive than model Aeroplane plans ?

Cheers and all the best in what is starting to become a rather volatile industry.

Keep Clam and build models.

If Traplet is handling the RCM&E plan services, what effect does this have on Traplet USA which handles the North American plan service for Traplet? Would be great if Traplet USA did handle RCM&E plans service for North America also.

Now if only we could get come of the kit cheap acorss on this side of the pond.

Jim

Kevin, No magazine 'reviews' plans, they're either included inside with a build article or, if the model is too big then there's a plan feature written by the designer and folks must buy the plan. There are other considerations those who submit plans always make and, as I say, we'll continue to have new pull out plan designs in RCME - no change there. In truth we've had far fewer plan features these last few years with most of the designs submitted fitting onto the pull-out sheets.

Those who miss an issue are best advised to buy a back-issue - far cheaper then buying the plan and you get the build article alongside of course.

Posted by kevin b on 04/10/2016 00:29:28:

On a final note, Ian has commented about the "steep prices" of plans. Why do so many people complain about this ? If you look back through the history of model plans you will see that they are no more expensive today relatively, than they were 50 years ago. In fact they are probably cheaper now in real terms! Would you buy a book just to flick through the pages to see if you fancied reading it? What I cannot understand is why model boat plans are comparatively more expensive than model Aeroplane plans ?

Cheers and all the best in what is starting to become a rather volatile industry.

Keep Clam and build models.

I dissagree strongly. Back in the 50, 60s and 70s plans were very cheap. One could afford to buy three or four at a time with the knowledge that one would probably only build one of them. Discussing this with several friends of around the same age they ll agreed

The average price of an R/C plan in 68/69 was about 7 shillings, or 35p. Even the mighty Astro Hog was only 15 shillings or 75p. Control line anf free flight models were less on average.

Taking the average price a skilled man on £30 a week. (Just before that I was earning £27 a week at Hawker Siddley building airlners as a fitter)

Today an Odalallay plan is over £17 so you would have to be earning £700 a week to be on a par.

So Kevin, would you buy three or four plans today just to look at them as we did back then?

I should add that the above was based on the AstroHog

If you take the average 1968 price as 30p then you could buy a hundred 30p plans for your £30.

Oodalally is about the same as a 30p plan back in those day so you could buy about 100 plans for your weeks wage.

Who earns £1700 a week? We afre not all bankers

The point about price is today we can walk into a local copy shop and get a plan printed ( often for about 3 or 4 pounds for small sizes) so we know what the cost is, but when we buy from a Plan Service it almost always costs 12 to 17 pounds or more. As the designers don't seem to get paid commission on sales we can see that the plan service operators charge 3 times the cost that the copy shops do for selecting the computer file & pushing the buttons!

Unless ADH plans get revived as a separate firm it seems Traplet will now have a monopoly of magazine plans in Britain and there will only be about 3 professional suppliers in the English speaking world. (MAN in USA and Airborne in Australia are the only other English language magazines with plan services I can think of)

Just as a matter of interest..............I bought the complete Brian Taylor Mk1 Spit (smaller version) plan/wood/mouldings etc from Traplet last year and found the quality to be excellent. A few other clubmates are also building BT plans at the moment from Traplet woodpacks, also with no real complaints.

The only gripe from my parts was with some 1/64 ply items made from wood as brittle as thin pastry that delaminated as soon as you looked at it. Easily replaced with some better quality stuff from my stock.

I don't agree that plans are too expensive. The suppliers have to make money from what I suppose is their intellectual property and that is the bottom line. If a plan costs thirty quid from Traplet or wherever, it's not just the cost of the paper you're paying for but all the infrastructure that revolves around it in terms of the suppliers business and of course postage. Taking all that into account, If they make a tenner or so on the sale then I reckon they're doing well. If it's not worth their while, we'll all lose.

Edited By Cuban8 on 04/10/2016 11:34:41

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset anyone, But even with my rosiest tinted spectacles I can't remember anything from my youth being particularly cheap. Modelling items in particular !

I just had a peruse through some of my old magazines. here is an example.

RCM&E December 1962. Price 2 shillings (10p). Plan review Six Gun price 8 shillings an six pence (42.5p). RCS single channel radio (no servo) eighteen pounds eighteen shillings and six pence (£18.925).

Bearing in mind that back then there was no tax on printed paper, as there is now (VAT).

I do agree though that when looked at relative to other modelling materials, plans do appear to have not come down in price the same. It will be interesting to see what Traplet do with their acquisition.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...