Stripped plug thread

shades

I have just come across a glow engine on which someone (definately not me by the way), has been a bit over zealous with the old plug spanner, and stripped the thread in head of his engine. The engine in question is in fact an HPI 21 truck engine, but we'll try not to hold that against him. The replacement engine is well over £100.00 and he has no money. Still at school in fact.

Normally of course you would just drill it out and tap up a size, but of corse a glow plug is a standard size. Is there a way of fixing this?

Andrew

Advert

Yes, I have heard of the heli-coiling thing, but didn't know whether it was possible to use this on such a small scale. I have already tried to find a new head but to no avail. Thanks.

I don't get how mole wrenches are going to fix a stripped thread, Birdy, or am I missing something.

Andrew.

Hi Shades

Helicoils are made in small sizes but you will also need the appropriate special tap to cut the new thread. It is larger diameter but the same thread pitch as the original. The helicoil is then scewed in with a special tool and it locks itself in place. The glow plug is screwed into the helicoil.

Neat and effective but I don't know if a helicoil & tap is made for a standard glow plug thread.

You could try a motor cycle repair shop. Stripping threads in aluminium bike engines is quite common so they usually have helicoil kits. 

The thread is 1/4 UNF but if you can't get it helicoiled you might be able to make a threaded bush from brass (similar expansion rate to aluminium, I believe, which is the reasoning behind ABC engines) if there's sufficient material around the thread to make it practical and lock it by staking with a centre punch.

Getting it gas-tight will be the only problem but perhaps making it slightly oversized / tapered would help.  Insert it with a shouldered bolt or a bolt and locknut once you have the length / fit about right...

Not much to lose by trying...

Hi shades

If this were my engine, I would drill and tap the hole in the head out to something like 10mm depending on how much meat around the stripped thread.

As suggested make a replacement   bush with a thin flange  and with 10mm thread on o/d and  new plug threaded hole ,then put bush in the freezer for a couple of hours after which carefully heat  up head in oven.

Screw bush into head quickly , use old plug to drive it in tight down to flange. Nearly forgot use one of the high temperature Loctites / flange sealants under the flange.

Try it, you wont be worse off than you are now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave V

Hi Brian is correct glow plugs are 1/4 x32tpi & is an old ME(Model Engineering) thread. I think it also approximates to a 1/4 UNEF not UNF.

You would be hard pressed to find a Helicoil in this thread, so the bush method described by David would be the best if you can't find a new head. All you need to do is find (say) a 3/8 or M8 brass bolt, drill & tap a plug thread down the middle, dril & tap the head to suit & trim the bolt to the correct depth & thin the bolt head to a thin flange-easy with a lathe, but possible with careful filing. If you or a mate has access to a lathe, a new head would be a simple job.

do as I do and that is to put the head in a lathe bore and tap it to 10mm useing a first tap and dont take the tap right through and then run a 10mm die down a piece of brass rod heat up the head and loctite the rod and screw in as tight as possible and leave to cool cut of the rod as close as possible to the head place the head back in the lathe face off the rod and centre it and bore it 7/32 machine it flush and tap it out 1/4 32 tpi Iv' done that many times for the boys in the club and i aint had any complaints yet ive even done that to a cox 049 but not with a brass insert

"Oh, you guys"

Many many thanks for all your help and suggestions. Knowing the actual thread size and type is really usefull and gives  a good starting point. I don't actually own a lathe, but that doesn't mean I can't do it. Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks again. Shades.

Watch you don't fall from that tree, Birdy. You're supposed to crash planes into trees, not perch in them.

• 3 weeks later...

Garry, does it make me rude because I've taken more than one day to respond to a forum post. For goodness sake! My entire life does not revolve around forum posts, I do have a life aswell. Besides I've been involved with another thread. I have already thanked everyone for their help earlier in the thread. In fact I was blown away by the response.

Thank you Chris for your suggestion, but with respect for Dave, I would rather take help when it was offered directly, rather than through a third party. (Sorry! now this sentence does sound rude. It's not supposed to be. I hope you understand what I mean).

Shades.

That is very kind of you Dave, and I am gratefull. I have already attempted a fix which was successful.......upto a point. Right up to the point when full heat expansion took place and fumes started blowing out of plug hole thread. My problem I think was using the taps and dies which I had to hand which have a thread which is too corse for the job. Possibly now it would be more difficult to fix with the right machine as the hole would have to be even bigger than the 10mm it is now.

However, I now have found a supply of new heads. The cost of which is only a tenner. Whilst the satisfaction of repairing it myself would far exceed a tenner, I couldn't possibly allow myself to put the onnus on someone else just to save me a tenner.

Many thanks Dave, I'll let you know if it all goes pair shaped. (Or "out of round")

Shades