Seagull Sparrow Hawk .61 1.6m ARTF

MAD Dave

Advert

• 9 months later...

After a break of too many months, my attentions have returned to this project. Apologies in particular to Rich2 but the Sparrow Hawk now sports an electric motor.

I am currently looking at which prop spec to go for. I can easily check maximum watt "consumption" of the motor v's prop dimensions under static (airframe) conditions to match motor power rating but, I am unsure what comparatively happens when the airframe gains speed and progresses to flight.

For a given throttle setting, will the watts consumed increase, decrease or remain ~constant? Level steady flight assumed of course.

Anyone any ideas?

Thank you Percy and Bob for your responses.

The advice I have received is that, for this type of model, I should aim for 80 to 120 watts per pound. The Sparrow Hawk auw, including chosen motor, has worked out at 8.5 lb so we have the band required as 680 to 1020 watts. I opted for a 900 watt Overlander motor and am keen to see that power delivered to the prop.

Using my watt-meter, I find that driving a 12x6 and 12x8, the declared power consumptions are ~700 and 800 watts respectively. I will try a small range of 13 inch props when they arrive.

I should be able therefore to find a prop that causes the motor to reach its 900 watts potential under static conditions on max throttle but my initial enquiry is of course what happens after I let it go!

Will the power delivered reduce; should I over-prop it for static conditions?

Perhaps I am trying too hard but I have a desire to get matters as right as I can before I attempt a flight!

• 3 weeks later...

My "Electric Sparrowhawk" has now had its first outing. It flew well and the landing was good enough such that "I can use it again"!

For anyone else interested in maybe undertaking a similar conversion, my final powertrain comprised :-

Overlander - T4260/06 motor, 500kV, 900W.

Overlander 60A ESC

Batteries - 2x Zippy 5.8Ah 3S (ie 6S total).

13x8 APC E-prop.

Static max power consumption was measured as ~850W.

At the field, a few club members sucked their teeth a little, wondering whether the 900W motor would be adequate; flying weight being a few ounces under 9lb. As a possible surprise to the gathered throng, me included, the initial take off run was quite sprightly and several S&L-ish orbits of the field followed whilst assisted trimming etc ensued. The initial flight timed out at around a little over 6 minutes, post one overshoot, and a successful landing completed. Electricity consumption is always a concern on first flights, but I was latterly further surprised to observe that each 3S battery was indicated as having 80% capacity remaining! Maybe I have over-egged the battery size a little.

Hopefully, the above information will be of use to someone contemplating either a similar conversion or fresh installation.

P.S. Now having a Sparrowhawk GRP cowl with (no longer required) cut-outs in it for a '61 ic, I contacted Seagull and enquired whether they would sell me a replacement. Good & bad news - Yes, but at 11usd for the item and 44usd postage! I may renew my association with home-brew GRP practices.....😏