S6R receivers

Geoff S

That's good news.

Just about to send a new S6R receiver back. The output pin headers have been incorrectly soldered onto the circuit board so that it is impossible to connect a servo without forcing and damaging the case or pins. There may well be more out there, its easily visible.

• 3 months later...
Advert

Just got a new S6R setup a bit of work to get all the companion settings right, a little hit and miss but there now.

I've got the latest RX Firmware (20161226) I think, both TX and RX are LBT versions.

An odd thing happened which has resolved itself but not sure what set it off, all channels worked OK( including in stab mode) apart from both elevator channels which just went dead for a while, the only thing I think may have caused it was setting up the Self Test from Channel 12 using switch SH giving a value of -100 to 0 on the momentary position.

Could different movement settings on channel 12 have caused it?

Thanks

John

Hi John

Self test should be done after any trim changes and with model level (wings and body). After you operate the self test , and after the blue light has gone out, It is very important to move ail, ele and rudder sticks to their extremes, failure to do this would give you the symptoms you describe.

Til

Thanks Til,

It's odd that Frsky don't mention that in any instructions unless I've missed them.

Even though all the settings look fine when I set the 3 position switches to go to the " hover" setting and set the receiver vertically as though in flight the slightest rocking of the RX makes the ailerons go through extreme deflections.

Now this doesn't bother me as I've no intention of using knife edge, hover and self levelling and will override the switches to have just stab mode on or off.

Have done a bit of trawling on the web and these little boxes of tricks do seem a bit of an egnima when they come to setting up.

I've put the latest firmware on now which is a beta 17 something.

A small tip: Whilst you might not use the auto level, (and it has its dangers!!!), it is very useful for a ground test of the stabiliser functions. With basic stabilisation, when you move the plane on the ground, the servos respond then move back to normal so it is difficult to check direction. With auto level when you tilt the plane, the servos move and stay in the opposite direction. The movement is greater too.

Thanks Andy48, that's a good idea. I'll set the switches to do stab, non stab and level only.

Because I'm only using 2.19 on my Taranis+ and I can only change the stab parameters using the STK via a PC, am I right in thinking I can connect the RX up to the PC with servos still plugged in, but no power from the model and make adjustments or could something odd happen with the USB socket or STK that could cause a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Help please.

I was going to go flying today and did one last check on the dining room table. Everything seemed to work OK with the control surfaces moving as expected with the S6R stabiliser on or off.

However, occasionally, when using the sticks slowly, the control surfaces would not move smoothly but moved in a series of 2 or 3 steps, for instance, if I put in full left rudder, the rudder would move a little then stop, then move a little more and stop again, then move to full deflection. This was happening with all the control surfaces, intermittently.

I did keep getting the "telemetry lost/recovered" messages but not during this funny behaviour.

I lost my bottle and stayed at home! Any suggestions as to why this happens would be most helpful.

Ian

Edited By IanR on 10/05/2017 19:01:03

Further to my problem with the control surfaces moving in steps, rather than in one smooth continuous movement. It seems that this was an ESC problem and not an S6R problem.

The model is profile epp and I had the ESC hot-glued to the fuselage side with the label (read heatsink) to the fuselage. Whilst testing I was jiggling the model to see how it reacted and the ESC became quite hot - I assume because all the servos were constantly moving. With the stabiliser switched off and the motor running the ESC quickly cooled down. Taking advice from others I turned the ESC so the label was facing out and then I could not replicate the moving-in-steps condition. Problem solved.

After performing a range check I went flying in very windy conditions. Everything seemed to work OK - particularly the self-levelling mode. However, I wanted to increase the gain for stabiliser mode but doing so made the model fishtail quite badly.

I need to remove the S6R from the model and re-connect it to my PC so that I can reduce the Rudder Gain in the Config program. What a pain.

Am waiting to hear that I can safely upgrade my Taranis X9D Plus to Open TX 2.2 so that I can use lua script to make these kinds of alterations with the S6R in situ.

Ian

IanR,

I'm at a similar stage to you and was also wondering about making changes after installation.

I assume the Rx calibration process is a one off exercise and shouldn't need repeating and thought I could just leave a flylead in the bind port to enable config adjustments from the PC until I can get my head around OpenTx 2.2.

The thing I wasn't sure about is the correct process to do this.

A: leave the Rx connected to all outputs(ESC/servos) and just plug in the STK lead

B: Only remove the Motor/ESC lead and leave the servos connected then plug in the STK lead

C: Remove the ESC and all servos then plug in the STK lead

I didn't imagine I'd have to remove the Rx from the model.

I did a bit of digging on the web but didn't seem to find a conclusive answer.

Devcon, I like the flying lead idea except that, for me, the configuration process doesn't work quite how I would have liked.

I have mentioned before that, after using the Config programme and switching everything off, if I went back into the Config programme and "read" my settings from the receiver, and got different readings to the ones I had programmed in. This left me unsure as to whether the Config programme wasn't reading correctly or whether the settings in the receiver had changed themselves.

I then started using the S8R Config programme AND before exiting the programme, I made sure that the receiver MOUNTING position (in my case left side up) was displayed before I switched off. This gave me the same "readings" 3 times in a row. However, I still don't fully trust what's going on and would prefer to remove the receiver from the model and go through the calibration process etc after making changes to the gain settings...

...or make the change in the TX using the lua script - when I eventually upgrade to 2.2.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Til,

That works for me re powering the RX for changes.😁

But a very odd thing is happening. I've powered the model up numerous times over the last few days in the shed and the basic stabilisation mode starts up every time, I've used channel overrides to ensure the self level and hover/knife edge modes cannot be switched in, I've left the gain setting and initialisation functions active and working.

Today at the field the RX would power up OK but with no stabilisation active. Back home now and it works perfectly in the shed with stabilisation starting every time.

I can only deduce that it is a temperature related problem as it was blooming hot down here in the SW and the poor old kit must have been hot.

I can't think of any other variable.

John

Problem solved.

Tried it again and it wouldn't go Into stab mode.

I took channel overide off CH10 but left it on CH11 so I couldn't switch in the unwanted KE and SL modes.

It now switches between non and stab mode every time.

I guess a 3 position switch doesn't give a stable signal and the Rx needs to have a clear positive message so it knows what it's doing.

QED

I use a 3-position switch to select normal, stab or auto-level modes. My settings for channels 10 and 11 are:

CH10: +100% MAX !SC^
CH11: +100% MAX SCv

With the switch up, I have normal mode, in the centre I have stab mode and down is auto-level mode.

Being able to adjust the settings direct from the Tx, at the field, is very useful. I needed to reduce the rudder gain in stab mode last time I was flying, very easy to do (I'm using ersky9x on the Tx and this includes the facility).

There should be no problems using channels 10 and 11 in this way, the outputs to the Rx should be perfectly stable.

Mike.

Edited By Mike Blandford on 24/05/2017 23:41:09

Posted by Jason Hyland on 04/06/2017 12:57:10:

Hi,

I'm trying to update the setting in my S6R using the latest LUA script (2.2.0), but it appears to "hang" on the 2nd page. I'be uploaded a video to demonstrate. Anyone have any ideas?

Reads OK using STK

OK, appears that is requires the BETA firmare 170217 - thanks.

Posted by Mike Blandford on 04/06/2017 15:43:07:

To avoid CH12 accidently triggering the self check, the current requirement is CH12 changes 3 times away from and back to the centre position within 3 seconds.

OpenTx V2.2 has now been released. Ersky9x firmware also supports configuring the S6R from the transmitter.

Thanks Mike, I will test tonight, this makes sense to me. I'd tied the switch into my throttle enable so it wasn't active when throttle was, but this is probably double safe!