S6R receivers

Geoff S

Advert

• 9 months later...

A question about trims for an S6R in Quick Mode.

I can see how the trims work in Stabilisation Mode. Whatever position the sticks or the trims are holding, the S6R tries to remove any unwanted movement.

However, if I apply trim to achieve straight and level when the S6R is in Normal Mode (i.e. with the stabiliser and auto-level functions turned off) what happens when I enter Autolevel mode?

For instance, say I do the Self-Check on the bench without any trim applied. Then at the field, when flying in Normal Mode, I need to apply trim to prevent a roll to the left. The Self-Check has been done without any trim, so what happens when I switch on Autolevel mode?

Does the S6R ignore the trim I have applied and simply try to achieve the attitude of the plane when the Self-Check was done? Or will the trim kick in and "fight" the S6R's autolevel position?

(I have upgraded to Opentx 2.2.3 and up-dated the S6R firmware and am setting up at home.)

Ian

As I understand it the self-levelling mode will attempt to get back to the attitude you set the model in when it did the calibration dance. Trim settings shouldn't affect it. I must admit though, I have only flown with everything switched off, last time I took the Easystreet out I forgot to try out the different functions. Once I get my lungs sorted out I hope to test everything out in a Magnatilla that's a bit of a banana, that should thoroughly test the effects of trims!

My logic says auto-level mode will be fine. The Rx uses accelerometers to detect when the model is not in the level position defined in the self check. It will apply a correction, to the current servo positions, to try to bring the model level. If you have trim applied to get the model level, then the Rx has nothing to do!

Mike

Well, I would set the trims and carry on, except...

My X9D+ is upgraded to 2.2.3 (ae5ac05b) downloaded from Companion with lua, luac. eu and noheli selected on the settings page, the Bootloader is 2.2.3 and I have flashed 2 x S6Rs with the latest RX firmware (s6rlbt20180328_1.frk). I have used the lua from the TX to calibrate the S6Rs with the default Quick Mode. Whilst in the lua script I reduced the Rudder Gain slightly but left all the other parameters untouched (because I don't understand them).

I fitted an S6R into my Riot and only the throttle worked. The rudder would twitch ever so slightly but the ailerons and elevator were completely dead.

I have tried both S6Rs on the bench connected to servos with the same result.

I have gone back into the lua and disabled Quick Mode and the servos react normally. Then re-enabled Quick Mode and back to square 1 - no joy.

Can someone please help. (and also explain why lua and luac)

Thanks. Ian

Sounds like you haven't run the "Self Check" and set the servo limits in the receiver. You need to run the self check for the receiver to "learn" straight and level, then you move the aileron, elevator and rudder controls to their limits (don't have dual rates enabled) to "teach" the receiver the servo movement limits to avoid it over driving the servos.

Do you have the full manual? It is available here: **LINK**.

Mike

Posted by IanR on 18/02/2019 18:19:18:

Well, I would set the trims and carry on, except...

My X9D+ is upgraded to 2.2.3 (ae5ac05b) downloaded from Companion with lua, luac. eu and noheli selected on the settings page, the Bootloader is 2.2.3 and I have flashed 2 x S6Rs with the latest RX firmware (s6rlbt20180328_1.frk). I have used the lua from the TX to calibrate the S6Rs with the default Quick Mode. Whilst in the lua script I reduced the Rudder Gain slightly but left all the other parameters untouched (because I don't understand them).

I fitted an S6R into my Riot and only the throttle worked. The rudder would twitch ever so slightly but the ailerons and elevator were completely dead.

I have tried both S6Rs on the bench connected to servos with the same result.

I have gone back into the lua and disabled Quick Mode and the servos react normally. Then re-enabled Quick Mode and back to square 1 - no joy.

Can someone please help. (and also explain why lua and luac)

Thanks. Ian

As well as the manual Mike refers to, I found this RC Groups forum thread useful when I started using the SRs :-

Link

Sorry, Mike. I thought I had covered everything but forgot to say that I performed the Self Check. The blue led came on, the servos danced and when they stopped I moved the sticks to their extremes - but not the throttle - but the servos didn't move this time. Powered off then on again - nothing.

Thanks for the link, Eagle. I have read that thread but will re-read it.

Ian

PS   I should add that the Channel Monitor on the TX shows the movements I would expect.   Ditto Companion. 

Edited By IanR on 18/02/2019 20:08:32

Not seen that before! Please confirm you are only turning off quick mode, rather than disabling stabilisation altogether.

My S6R is in a model, so I'm testing with a S8R, but that works fine.
There is a known problem with some XJT modules where the SxR binds but doesn;t respond to the Tx. The solution there is to use a different Rx number. You could try doing that and seeing if the S6R responds i quick mode.

Mike

Hello Mike

Working properly ! At least on the bench.

I re-flashed the firmware to my Tx - without luac - put in a new Rx number, removed a couple of my own lines from Special Functions, re-calibrated via the Tx, performed a Self Check and the servos appear to be working as they should.

I'm not sure which of the above, or combination thereof, were causing the problem but when I've got time I'll back-track and try to find out what I was doing wrong. I'll let you know (just to add to your knowledge base, so to speak)

Personally, I think I jiggered things on Special Functions but I would add that calibrating via the Tx seems a bit hit and miss. In future, I think I will calibrate via the PC and use the Tx only to make adjustments.

Again, many thanks for your help. Ian

PS I was disabling the S6R altogether, not just Quick Mode.

PPS What is luac ???

I haven't "back-tracked" to find what was wrong, yet, but just a few thoughts...

I don't think it was a Rx number problem since everything worked normally when I disabled the stabilisation function. I don't think it was my messing with the Special functions since the Channel Monitor showed normal movements. I don't think it was a with/without luac problem. I don't think it was a Self Check problem.

Since the problem only arose with the ailerons, elevator and rudder - the throttle worked normally - I think it was sloppy technique with the initial calibration process via the Tx. I believe I may have been fooled by the transmitter telling me to press enter in order to go on to the next calibration position without checking to see if the yellow led on the Rx had stopped flashing and turned green. Additionally, since I had to keep both the Tx and the Rx relatively close to each other on the bench, the "telemetry lost" warning kept coming and going.

This morning I paid particular attention during calibration and everything appears to be working OK. I'll revert to my initial Rx number and put my Special Functions back and see what happens.

Ian

Still on the bench.

I am replacing an X6R in my Riot with this S6R. I have set the S6R %age throws on the Mixer screen the same as they were with the X6R. This gives approximately 30 degs of movement either side of centre.

When I power up on the bench, the servos begin to move erratically for 2 or 3 seconds whilst the led on the Rx is red and yellow, then the led turns green and the servos snap back to their centre position. During this erratic movement the servos sometimes move to well over 90 degs. This happens with the stabiliser turned on or off. I would assume it is a Rx thing since it happens in the 2 to 3 seconds that it takes for the Tx to take control when the led turns green.

I am concerned that this initial dance may drive the servos in the Riot beyond the limits of movement in the control surfaces and damage either the servos or the control surfaces or the linkages.

Is there any way of reducing or removing this movement upon powering up?

Ian

(sorry to keep banging on about this pesky S6R)

Nope - just done yet another 2 Self Checks and I still get more than 90 degs movement on powering up.

When I move the Rx on the bench, in Auto Level mode, the most movement I get does seem to correspond with the maximum throws from the Self Check. Its just powering up where I get a problem.

Ian

Hello Chris and Mike

Yes, it was a servo thing. The Max Thrust servos in the Riot twitch upon power up but move nowhere near as much as the Airtek Kpower servos did.

I have fitted the S6R into the Riot temporarily and everything is functioning as I would expect.

Thank You to everyone who answered my queries. Without your help I would still be pulling my hair out. I really am very grateful.

Ian

• 2 months later...

Folks,

has anyone got experience of (or indeed thoughts about) using the S6R or S8R for launching slope soarers? Especially with big models there is that moment when you are recovering from the effort of launch and finding the sticks, and some sort of stabilisation or self levelling would be useful. Should I use stabilisation or self levelling mode? Does self levelling mode try to keep the model at the same altitude (which would be disastrous) or will it let the model slowly gain speed at the expense of altitude (which is what you want at that point)?

I'm just at the stage of having bought an S8R since it was little extra money than the X8R I needed, and worked out that with my old Taranis I have to use model number 8 to get a bind. Next I have to clear my virtual channels used for the trailing edge off channels 9 to 12, and get a firm fixing point for the Rx in the model (previously I've velcro-ed them in). So, any advice gratefully received.

Devon

Stabilisation was not intended for unpowered flight Devon

Though your intention may work for the few seconds that you need it

As speed drops off, no amount of stabilisation will keep the model in the air

Fitting a stabiliser too, is not just any site in the model either

The fixing needs to be along forward and aft axis, as well as port and starboard for accurate gyro control

This puts the Rx very near to or exactly on the C of G

Had a think about this and if it was me I would use the stabiliser in self levelling mode, but with a bit of a twist. Part of the initialisation is to set the model level, this is where you cheat a little by setting the model with a downward slope of say 15 degrees (i don't do slope soaring so adjust this figure to suit). I would probably use switch H (momentary switch) set up as a sticky switch (pull for on pull again for off) to enable self level mode. Enable self level mode at launch which will keep wings level and glider nose down. Grab the sticks pull on SH and your away.

Don't worry about mounting the stabiliser on the cofg it doesn't really matter. If you need any help with setting it up just PM me ( I use Horus and taranis with openTx)

Til