my new plane build

Chris gregg

hello!!

so annoyed with myself, started building the eflite apprentice today and like everytime i go to build a plane i have broke a clevis, it happens all the time i line it up with the horns by screwing/unscrewing but then when it comes to attaching it, it breaks!! the elevator is fine the hole on the horn was decent enough to go on fine but the rudder seems a little smaller for the clevis which didnt help!

can you buy different ones or have you got to use that specfic one?

any replies will be greatful

just annoying as i took my time with it!

Advert

Accessories with many ARTF kits are of questionable quality but SLEC stock some good clevises. Might be worth firing an email to them or phoning them up.

http://www.slecuk.com/balsa-wood/M2-Metal-Quick-Link-8-per-pkt-SL016B_S.html

Once you've finished the model, you'll find it very easy to fly but if you're an absolute beginner, I'd recommend that you get someone to help you from a local flying club for the first few flights.

Chris, hi.

trust me when I say that I can be as cack handed as the best of 'em wink but breaking clevises on the workbench is a new one on me. Don't think I've managed that one yet. I'd be a bit concerned about their fitness for flight, but then again I haven't seen the items in question - and there are presumably plenty of Eflite Apprentices out there getting on fine with the supplied bits and pieces

Do you have a local model shop within visiting distance? If so - as it sounds like you'll be needing some replacement items anyway - I'd suggest going there and eyeballing the alternatives (both horns and clevises) that they have in stock. Personally I only use metal clevises in all bar my small electric models, but that's just me

Chris I reckon you have had a blessing in disguise. If you have broken a clevis on the bench then it was probably not fit for purpose and is best off in the bin rather than breaking in the air. Poor quality fittings on kits and latterly artf are not a new phenomena and it is not unusual for them to be binned and more suitable ones used. More models meet their maker from mechanical failure than the radio issues that modellers get hung up about. Whilst I have not first hand knowledge of your model I have met quality issues on one of the so called platinum range of that manufacturer

If you haven't a local shop have a word with one of our older established model shops who do mail order. If the clevises screw into the rods with 2mm threads get some metal clevises check the horns as well and if the look poor change them . If you can break the horns you are not being heavy handed they are too weak

Too often we read magazine reviews where the reviewer has changed fittings they thought unsuitable personally I

believe they should build and fly them as supplied and them show us a picture of the wreckage and tell us why they broke

If I remember correctly, the clevis on the Apprentice are an odd size, really a lot smaller (thread size) than the normal ones you can buy. They're also quite 'soft' and you have to be pretty sure you've got them lined up and don't just push and hope!!smile o

Many model shops stock them as spare parts (I think they're a Parkzone part) and if your LMS hasn't got them, they should get them ordered for you in a few days. You can't buy direct from Horizon Hobby direct (at least you couldn't when I tried last year).angry

It's worth getting a few spares, they are pretty robust in use, but the one for the nose wheel is prone to breaking on the odd occasion that you might have a heavy landing.wink 2

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 30/10/2016 18:14:21

Posted by gangster on 30/10/2016 17:52:27:

Too often we read magazine reviews where the reviewer has changed fittings they thought unsuitable personally I

believe they should build and fly them as supplied and them show us a picture of the wreckage and tell us why they broke

Yes that!!devil

Posted by David Davis on 30/10/2016 16:46:28:

Accessories with many ARTF kits are of questionable quality but SLEC stock some good clevises. Might be worth firing an email to them or phoning them up.

http://www.slecuk.com/balsa-wood/M2-Metal-Quick-Link-8-per-pkt-SL016B_S.html

Once you've finished the model, you'll find it very easy to fly but if you're an absolute beginner, I'd recommend that you get someone to help you from a local flying club for the first few flights.

thanks for the link, they look alot better than the plastic ones i have, will they fit the rods (are they universal type) on my apprentice

Posted by Chris gregg on 30/10/2016 18:59:48:

yes sorry it is the pin in the clevis it was way to flimsy the horns dont look to bad, il pop to the local model shop tomorrow see what hes got in, would you say get metal ones? only thing with that is hope it would fit the horns?! :/

Hi

the metal ones are undoubtedly much better - and I (like many) would usually swop out plastic clevises for metal on any ARTF. But there is a catch! The metal ones come in a standard size - 2mm. It doesn't sound like your push rods are that size - they sound like a smaller non-standard size. I've flown an Apprentice, someone elses when instructing!, so I can't remember how they go together and if the pushrods can be easily changed, . TBH, if its possible, I'd be tempted to swop out the push rods as well for standard 2mm types then use metal clevises. But that's just me!!

BEB

Why don't you ring your LMS before you set out and ask if they have a kit of your model in stock.If not, take yours along to check what fits (especially if as it seems from the comments above that the bits you need may be a non standard size)

If they are worth their salt they will be very happy to talk through the available alternatives, and the pros and cons of each

I had a similar problem with the brittle plastic clevis on the elevator of my Riot XL which also happened to be an odd size. I got round the problem by replacing them with solder on adaptors and standard 2mm metal clevises.

You can get 1.5mm or 1mm fitting clevises, just try a search in Google. Available through Amazon and Ebay but the length may not suit. Adaptors and M2 clevises from your LMS almost certainly can be made to fit.

Chris the original equipment is the PKZ4421 which should be available at your local model shop or online such as here.

The pushrods are about 1.2mm in diameter and 2mm metal clevises will not fit without adapters or replacement pushrods. That may not be straightforward as the pushrods pass through internal tubes in the fuselage. You should also consider that in the rough and tumble of learning to fly your model will inevitably take knocks and if the clevis & pushrod do not give way then your next point of failure is likely to be the servo gears.

Over the years I've I've owned & flown a number of Parkzone models which use these clevises. I've never felt the need to upgrade on these models & never had one fail in service. That said I use metal clevises extensively in my fleet of larger models.