2017 Mass Build Chat Thread

Advert

Bit of chat about it being a difficult model for newbies in a mass build early doors, which is fair enough, how you lads finding the build so far ?

For me it's pretty enjoyable, lots of different ideas/features that maybe makes build look more of a challenge than it actually is, not cut my formers yet or bent the cabanes mind you.

John

Not more difficult, just more work. (many ribs per meter wing, and two wings. The fuselage is just the same as the ballerina, wider so easier to get your hands in and the turtle deck stringers are much easier with the tooth on the formers.

The drawings are missing details/cross sections in the complex areas (dowel, undercarriage support), but with at very good and detailed build thread of the prototype that sorts itself out.

It is probably not a newbie build (like the Tucano was), but then, how many MB participants are building their first model?

Lucas

I'm really enjoying the build so far. All biplanes I have built so far have been a full kit or an ARTF so this is a welcome change.

As I am installing an OS62 4 stroke I have had to modify the front end from F3 forward somewhat but now I have got the basic mount and cowl area sorted it is coming on well.

Regarding ease of build I would say not really for a first time build, perhaps but generally the construction seems fairly straight forward. The fuselage looks to be very strong. Main problem I have had are related to the plan being incorrect and in some areas vague. Not a real problem to a more experienced builder but irritating. Also the laser cut pack helps to speed one along but has some fundamental errors such as the fuselage side are cut too short. I overcame this with a bit of bodgery!

It is very surprising that we seem to have so few being built so far especially as Skywriter was so heavily voted for. Where are everyone?

I will add some more pictures in my blog later.specifically on my mod to cowl area.

Peter

Well I may have a different perspective and I'm not sure I class as a newbie. I started building models as a kid in the late 60s . I remember a stringer covered Dornier 27 being one of my first (rubber then .049 free flight) . Built many after that, SE5a, several kits from KielKraft etc as ARTF did not exist. Last models I built in the mid 70s were a scale Cessna 172 and a Maraicardo. That was all a long time ago but I remember that all being challenging, that was a large part of the fun. Now 40 years later I have a couple of foamies , resurrected an old model from the loft and again am looking for a bit of challenge. Skywriter seemed to fit the bill admirably. Of course I have yet to start the build but with all the help from you existing builders I am not expecting insurmountable problems. For me it looks just right.

Got the wood, got the motor, got the fuselage jig , just need the plans and the straining fluid.

Tim

Thought I'd just post on here to say I've not forgotten this build; just not been able to start yet due to lack of time and wanting to finish off my current KF3 50th anniversary build first. I did decide to review my original plan to cut the parts myself though, as it became clear time was going to be an issue if I was to have a Skywriter ready for a possible Greenacres meetup. So the other day I gave in and ordered the CNC pack, which arrived very quickly. Hopefully will be able to start in a couple of weeks' time.

Please do Tim, it is not more work than a solid tailplane, probably less work compared to one build up with several pieces that need to be fitted snugly together.

The result is stronger than a similarly side solid piece piece, and has some flexibility to handle the little impacts that often happen when handling a models (doors are suddenly a cm narrower than before...)

Lucas

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 15/02/2017 11:39:38

Hobby King has them too: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/strong-rare-earth-button-magnets-10pcs-set.html

I have used these on the ballerina. Rough them up with sandpaper and glue with epoxy. Glue the last one of a pair while connected to the other one, with some plastic tape between them. That way you are garanteed alignment (and alignment of the poles).

Lucas

• 3 weeks later...

I may be getting a bit senile but the section through the wing tip shown on the plan seems to show a symmetrical section tip rather than a flat bottom as per the rest of the wing. I see you have all built it as a flat bottom and shamfered in from the top down which is what I was expecting to be shown on the plan.

Must stop trying to read the plan and just build it !

Tim