2017 Mass Build Chat Thread

Yes, Derek produced some very nice small models Peter. Why don't you start a build blog for your Holi, it might inspire others to build one? Some of the photos on the Traplet site of these older designs are often quite poor, a few pictures from yourself would be helpful to prospective builders.

I plan to build a 'cartoon scale' 90% Skywriter with sheet wings for the MB and see how that works out. The Kwik Fly 40 is more to my liking however, so I will have to do both!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 24/11/2016 08:51:20

Yes i've had a good look at the plan as well, apart from some of the wing sheeting i have most of the wood and all the bits and bobs plus the covering in stock.

Will make it to suit i.c or electric with a top hatch and a f/glass cowl, mines destined to be donated to our raffle at our open days so best make a decent job of it.

I like way the fuzz has been done with the external stringers, looking forward to that bit, wings ? i love making em smiley

John

Well....It looks like the Skywriter will be the winner.

I must admit that it was not my preference for a build however, the people have spoken and it looks as though it's a winner by a mile.

I had no real intent to build it because of one thing or another but I just watched a FliteTest vid of their Se5a and it inspires me to have a go at the Skywriter anyway. I still don't know if I'll definitely be joining the MB but never say never!

As per my norm, I would do a foamboard version.

Rosco

Out today to get the Skywriter drawing scanned! At work I have access to a big A0 plotter so with a PDF I can print out both an extra copy to build on and a mirrorred copy to build the left wing panels at the same time. And a copy to cut into pieces to stick on wood to facilitate cutting out formers etc.

Lucas

The vote has been announced as

Final count

Skywriter 87 pts.

Flea Fli 47 pts.

Slec Fun Fly 38 pts

just for complete clarity - as I don't remember ever seeing a conclusion anywhere to the "single subject or more" question that was posed - does the fact that three subjects are mentioned mean that the MB is now "officially" for those three models. (Or is it Skywriter only, as the winner?)

I'm completely happy either way - just want to be sure what I'm signing up for before I go to the Sign Up thread

Skywriter 87 pts

FleaFli 47 pts

Slec Fun Fly 38 pts

The rest a long way behind.

Skywriter it is then sign up thread here

Some have expressed a desire for a second model in but i've not included one as there's no significant number committed to it. Flea Fli has a thread already and there's the UKCAA topic section also, the rest people are split on them.

John

p.s cheers Ian, no i included the numbers of 2nd and 3rd for an idea of how vote went.

Edited By john stones 1 on 28/11/2016 10:55:51

Just looked at my hobby store price for the full house:

Here are the items in your shopping Basket:

Product Qty Item Price Sub Total
SETRC2124 Skywriter Complete Set (SAVE £6.52) 1 Remove Add £123.97 £123.97

Products Sub Total £123.97
Delivery to: £14.99
Grand Total £138.96

OUCH!!!

Just looked at my hobby store price for the full house:

Here are the items in your shopping Basket:

Product Qty Item Price Sub Total
SETRC2124 Skywriter Complete Set (SAVE £6.52) 1 Remove Add £123.97 £123.97

Products Sub Total £123.97
Delivery to: £14.99
Grand Total £138.96

OUCH!!!

I will cut the parts myself. Hope to be done with the material list this weekend. Will post what the price of the materials will be.

To start with the drawing GBP 12.50 is not that bad: I paid GBP 15 for scanning the drawing yesterday. However, that give me the possibility to print out all parts, which makes for easier cutting, and to print a mirror image to build the left wing halves on.

Lucas

The nose of the Skywriter is very short, and Lindsay writes in his article he needed lead in the nose. I will try to lighten the tail and will not use Solartex. HK film is very good and cheap (USD 9 for 5m), so I will live with a more glossy appearance.

It might be possible to mount the battery vertically close to the firewall, that would help with the CG. Probably best to leave the battery plate out until the model is covered and we can see what is needed.

... or, you can do as I plan to do, and stick a four-stroke up front smiley

(second that to HK film, btw - even with the recent price hikes it's very good value. I've just ordered 2 more rolls, current damage is approx £8.30 for 5m at HK's estimated rates, so call it about £9 once it's gone through at the Paypal rates)

Posted by Lucas Hofman on 29/11/2016 11:14:24:

It might be possible to mount the battery vertically close to the firewall, that would help with the CG. Probably best to leave the battery plate out until the model is covered and we can see what is needed.

Or maybe reconsider the battery choice and configuration? I have a funfighter sized FW190 that could not be balanced without added weight when using 2200 packs. the battery simply couldn't be got far enough forwards

Instead, I swapped to a pair of Lipos that were short enough to be installed vertically immediately behind the firewall - a pair of 1500s I think - and problem solved. Perfect balance, and it's all "working" weight

Simon, there are not many modell airfields anymore left that accept flying with I.C. engines, and none close by. But yes, it is the obvious solution.

Ian, that would be perfect. But then, yet another size of Lipo's is both a significant cost (if you want enough for 5 flights on a session) and even more to store. I will try to make do with what I have. But I may be able to fit 2 times 4S2200mAh in vertically. That would probably give 20+ minute flightduration!

I will see how it balances.

If balance is a problem and space for the lipo is also difficult then the answer may be to extend the nose a little. As the fuselage has parallel sides it would be easy to add 1/2 inch ( about 12 mm ) to the fuselage sides in front of F3. Anything up to 1 inch ( 25mm ) would have little effect on the looks but a lot on the balance problem. The fuselage sides will still fit onto a 36 inch sheet.