top flite P40 E

Andrew Cousins

Guys got a couple of models in mind for Santa to bring. Has anyone got experience of the Top flite P40E kit. I was thinking of putting a DLE 20cc rear in it or could you fit a DLE 30cc in that cowl.

Reason I ask I have another plane in mid as well so hoping I could get an engine that would fit both.

Many Thanks

Andy C

Advert

Hi Andrew, same here I would be interested on how the Top Flite P 40 fly .I have just finished put together the Top Flite A6 Texan ,It is ready for it's maiden flight .All I can say at the moment is I am really pleaded with the kit ,went together well and the quality was good I will let you know what it fly like after I have maiden the Texan Going by the A6 Texan kit I also was thinking of the Top Flite P.40

Assuming this is the model we are talking about **LINK** i personally would use one of my Laser 80's if i was to build one. My Hurricane (see below) is the same size/weight and they 80 shifts it along without any fuss at all.

I think the 120 recommendation is for the US market. Believe it or not, i have had american customers ask me for our 180 to put in that size model. They build them to weigh 16lbs and fly at 200mph on 30% nitro using OS200 surpass and similar. I think they are barking mad to be honest but each to their own i guess.

If you want a scale performance then i am sure any 80/90 4 stroke would do a fine job

dsc09603.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Jon

No not yet I like to gather all the necessary info before I take the plunge. Don't like to spend all my money then find (for example) that the retracts for the model are unavailable or problematic as you have commented on.

My plan was to make sure I can get everything I wanted for the plane with out to many issues then make sure spares are also readably available. wouldn't want to by some retracts and find out they are not reliable and spare parts are like rocking horse manure.

So if the twist and turn retracts prove to be unreliable, depending on people experience I may be looking at a different scale project.

Thanks

I believe E-Flite do a 100 degree rotating set for 60-120 size models but tbh I would hesitate to recommend these based on my experiences with standard EFlite 60-120 units. Lado do a very nice rotating unit but it's only 90 retract angle which leaves the wheel behind the LE of the wing - ie no forward rake. That may or may not be an issue for you but needs to be born in mind I have a set of these that I bought for a TF Corsair that I never got around to building, they may yet go in a TF 'Red Box' P40 kit that I have skulking around somewhere. Lado are not cheap but they are sturdy, they work and if damaged Christophe will sort out spares at a reasonable price - you won't get that from HH/EFlite as I know from experience.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 03/01/2017 16:08:24

At the scale you are working in twist/turn retracts are typically quite expensive and not the most reliable of beasts. At least this is the experience myself, and 2 other guys at my club have had with them. Now i appreciate that my P40 was a bit heavier than the robart gear was designed for, but even starting the engine was enough to damage them on a few occasions, and a perfect landing often ended in a crumpled heap half way up the runway. I could even 'break' the mechanism twisting the leg with finger and thumb so...yea, pants. I swapped them for some from YT and had no problems after that, but the units will be physically too large for the smaller P40.

Regarding the potential change in project, ask yourself what is the objective of the model. If you are new to warbirds, or want an inexpensive warbird you can fly and not be too worried about then its probably not the best option due to the cost/performance ratio of the twist and turn retracts unless someone can recommend a cost effective and reliable solution.

If on the other hand its your pride and joy, and want to put every last detail into it and to hell with the cost its still not a great choice as its too small for that sort of treatment.

if you can give some of that info its possible alternatives could be recommended that might better fit

Thunderbolts are good for sure, and the H9 one is great with a 90 or so fs up front. Seagull do a good looking one as well.

I assumed however that it was a kit build we were contemplating so dont know if artf is on the cards, if so you could certainly do worse than a P47

Hi Andrew,

I have built a Topflight P40E and it is ready for painting, I used the Robart 615 units (unaware of any problems and got them at less than half price by buiying from the states and importing, as I got the lot for under £120 I did not have to pay any import duties) and I have an OS60 up front. I have modified the cockpit area to take a full cockpit. It built well once I got used to the build manual and translated some american terminolgy. I made a bit mistake whilst covering the model with tissue and dope, I applied the tissue on top of the sanding sealer and applied a coat of shrinking dope as I usually do. Then for some unexplained reason I continued applying several coats of shrinking dope instead of non-shrinking dope - what a dope I was.

dsc06181 (800x531).jpg

And this was the result on the split flaps. I had to cut them out and re-make them

dsc06184 (800x531).jpg

All OK now but it knocked me back and I have lost interest in the model. I should finish it off, my new years resolution perhaps, though I did say that last year, although I did make and paint the cockpit interior.

dsc09256.jpg

Hope to be of some help

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 03/01/2017 17:52:33

HI All

Right the objective was to build (so it will be a kit) a close to scale war bird it does not have to have all the bells and whistles but just be a good looking scale/ semi scale plane I can enjoy. Don't want to go silly and build one at no expense but want it to look good.

Reason I picked the P40 E was I have always liked this plane from a kid and thought it would make a good subject as I have not seen any at our club. I have also considered a P51 as well. I like the P47 but we have a full squadron of them at the club. I do like the corsair but this uses the same type of retract.

So to sum up.

I want a kit to build.

Semi scale is ok for me.

Would like to keep the size 60 to 70 inch wingspan ( or 20cc ish) transport reasons.

I want the plane to work and not be fiddling all the time with unreliable retracts.

Hope this helps.

Andy C

Ok Andrew that all seems fair enough and is in line with what i expected to be honest but its great to hear you are looking to build. I dont know if you have seen the 'kit builders what would you like' thread but we are trying to bring back the enthusiasm to build and are trying to get new kits made just for us, which is pretty cool! Currently we are looking at a 70 inch Bf110 for some twin engine action

I am right with you in liking the P40, and i had the 70 inch Pica version for a while. Alas it was not easy to fly and died in spectacular cartwheel in a crosswind that would have been a non event in any other warbird.

So, in the range you mention there are not a huge number of choices in terms of full Kits. Topflite have theirs, and Warbirds just have their Hurricane with potential for more to come in the future if the thread mentioned above is successful.

If you are ok with plan/laser cut packs Tony N has a large range, and traplet have more than you can shake a stick at. Brian Taylor stuff is very good but is a complicated build and is often not robust enough for day in day out use.

do you have a preference on full built up kit or foam wings/decks?

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 04/01/2017 11:56:22

...Warbirds just have their Hurricane with potential for more to come in the future if the thread mentioned above is successful....

It would appear that Warbird Replicas has sold out of Hurricanes and there are no plans to make any more. Shame. I'd always fancied a Hurricane.

Hi Andy,

As I stated in my previous posting I built a Top Flite P40. I have at my disposal two kit reviews, one from RC Scale International from 1999 and the other from RCMW 1995.

Interestingly both of the review kits used different retracts, the RCSI used a set from Unitracts International, having just checked their web site the p40 is not listed, however, they do mention twist and turn retracts in their overview page, you could give them a ring to see if they could get a set together. The RCMW review used Robart 615 units although no issues reported they did have a heavy landing which pulled out the entire unit which would happen to either.

As I used these reviews to help me decide which kit to buy (i was stuck between the TF Corsair and P40) would you like me to PM you the scanned reviews, I also have (somewhere) the Corsair review. I chose the P40 as the wing was easier to make, but that was just me.

Hopes this is of help

Regards

Robert

Hmm that Seagull p47 looks nice . Luckily we don't have any at our club 😊.plus good value at £260 approx . It has Oleos included and 2 servo mechanical retracts which I guess should be simple too. Weighs it says 10lb maybe a Laser 120 in it? Sounds a nice new spring project plus not too expensive

Hi Robert

yes I would be very interested in the reviews so if you could send them I would really appreciate it. Funny when I looked at the P40 and the Corsair I thought the same about the wing. I guess I have to compromise if I want to build the P40. I will have a good read of the reviews and see which way they take me.

Jon I'm ok with plans and I did build a BT Typhoon 22 years ago. I did find the plan a complicated build took me a while but I got there in the end. I will have a look at Tony N range and see if any thing tickles my fancy.