Black Horse Percival Provost - any experiences?

Bob Cotsford

As it says in the title, has anyone had any experience with the BH Provost? I've had experience of BH kits and been pleased with the more recent offerings that I've seen, so I'm looking for experience of this particular kit not BH models generally. The suggested power range is 60-90 or 15cc petrol and I'm looking for an airframe to suit a Laser 100.

Anyone?

Looks nice to me.

The 100 should be a good match but the firewall might need to go back a bit and if mounted inverted the tank might need to relocate to the exhaust tunnel under the nose. Other than those mods it should be nice and simple.

Are you looking for scale for the 100 or will anything do?

During the mid Nineties I was working in Birmingham and commuting from Shrewsbury every day by train. One evening, as I sat down to read "The Radio Modeller" a man from across the aisle leant over and asked me where I flew my models, explaining that he had flown models in the past and that he had served in the RAF. I knew this already because he was wearing an RAF blazer and tie! We became close friends, Frank Wall and I and we talked aviation on our way into work and on the way back. Though he went on to build some models, he never quite got the hang radio controlled flight.

He was always going on about the Provosts and Prentices from his time in the RAF. He died in 2004. His death taught me that if you can afford to retire, you should do so!

If I hadn't got so many other projects on, I would buy a Provost to see what all of the fuss was about! wink.

Edited By David Davis on 25/11/2016 15:35:32

The Provost caught my attention as a KK 'Flying Scale' rubber powered model roundabout 1960. Chiltern Models iirc did a 54" 40 power version using lots of veneered foam and there is a large scale plan available but this is the first ARTF version that I'm aware of.

Jon, yes it's for John's Laser. Looking at the BH publicity photos and videos it looks as though they have fitted a 60 or 90 two stroke completely inside the cowl with the exhaust tucked into the inlet tunnel underneath, so I'm hoping that I would be able to mount the engine sidewinder or at 45/135 degrees keeping the carb somewhere near tank level.

It would be nice if someone had an example that they could take some measurements from for me.

TBH I'm a bit surprised that Paul Marsh hasn't got one!surprise wink

I've already got plenty of warbirds and classic aerobatic models so I'm looking for something different.  I like bipes and the H9 and Seagull Christen Eagles appeal in theory, but in practise I really NEED something easy to assemble at the field as my dexterity isn't what it was.  Seagull do a nice CAP232 which would be quite a bit cheaper but wouldn't scratch that itch as thoroughly.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 25/11/2016 16:02:52

Que serra, serra. I expect I'll find out tomorrow, either I get a despatch confirmation email or they cancel the order. If the latter then either I pay an extra £50 to SMC if they've actually got one and not listing it for the sake of it, or I could look at using the Laser in my Heine instead of the bastardised ASP/Magnum that's in it.

Or the Seagull CAP232... it's nice to have so many optionsface 1

Phew - I think, the email confirming shipping is in German but Google tells me:

Dear Customer,

Your ordered goods were handed over to the shipping service provider. The tracking number for shipping is available in the online shop in your user account. To view this, please log in to the Onlineshop and check the shipping status.

Nice video of it on You Tube

Percival P-56 Provost. Designed as a RAF trainer in the 1950s the Provost was used in 9 different air forces all around the world has trained 1000’s of pilots over the years. Undercarriage Oleo struts and CNC balsa/ply construction pre-covered in Oracover heat shrink film. For I/C or electric power and with large flaps for slow speed flight. Got what its needs then.

Gustav Staufenbiel has sent me an email confirming that the kit was in stock and has shipped - come on posty, it's only got to come from Germanylaugh

From the pics and video it looks to have some sort of clear moulded nav and landing light detail, it will be interesting to see whether working lights are a practical proposition - just for kicks.

Ordered Saturday afternoon, Chunky Monkey arrived at 12:30 today - not bad from Germany! Everything looks nice at first glance, plenty of glue in evidence and a light structure without the excess fretwork present on some models. Dropping the tank right to the bottom of the fuselage shouldn't be hard, the huge top opens up via a spring latch and the wings lock to the fuselage using forks attached to the wings which are clamped down by easily accessible screws in the cavernous fuselage opening. The cockpit is basic, two seatbacks and one reasonably decent pilot figure plus quite a nice instrument panel. The covering is neat and tight, and the instructions proudly claim it's 95% completed.

Funny, I used to be exited opening a box of balsa and unrolling a set of plans, these days I like the sight of nicely made modules better. Must be getting old!

I know what you mean Bob, but i still find satisfaction in rummaging through a box of assorted balsa bits.

That said, if you want quick and simple ARTF really is the way to go, especially in the case of a 'sport' model.

I spotted this  http://www.ripmax.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=A-BH158&Category=010-030-020 and am seriously tempted. 

I must resist 

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 02/12/2016 13:36:36

If anyone is interested, a few badly lit photos:

While printed vinyl coverings can be a pain and panel/rivet detail can be a bit overpowering, plain Oracover does emphasize that it's very much sports-scale

teaser.jpg

Must wash the Dad residue off the throw blush

First job was to drop the tank mount to suit a Laser engine, which meant lowering the exhaust duct roof. This dropped the tank by about 1 3/8" without losing much if any strength

Tank mount dropped by 35mm.jpg

Duct top dropped to lower the tank.jpg

That CA dribble hardly shows in real life! I had to plug the existing mount holes which were for a 135 degree engine position to put the silencer in the duct. I put the captive nuts in for a plain inverted engine layout to get the rocker box in the cowl's inlet tract.

continued...

The tank bay and bulkhead got a good coat of epoxy to seal the wood and hopefully seep into any loose joints.

Canopy outside view

Canopy view.jpg

and inside

Instruments.jpg

Servo bay - cavernous!  I glued strips of 1/16" birch ply under the servo screw locations.  While the servo tray ply feels better than most liteply I'm not trusting enough to rely on the servo screws holding in that and a drop of CA reinforcement alone!

servo tray.jpg

Neat shrouded flap

Flap shroud.jpg

Servo horns - they look to be CNC cut from fibreglass sheet. I'd have liked to see some holes in the tang to give the epoxy more of a key when fitted

horns etc.jpg

The wing goes onto the usual 20mm-ish tube with two incidence pgs and a fork which is clamped by a screw in the fuselage to hold it all together

dscf0648[1].jpg

On the whole this looks to be a well thought out kit, at least the wing fixings are more accessible than any ARTF with plug-in wings that I've had to date. The ply crutch with moulded balsa skin gives a nice balance between saving weight and producing a robust and resilient structure.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 07/12/2016 16:04:41

I know it's overkill for a 65" 60-90 class model but it's what I've got to hand:

Elevator/rudder/tailwheel steering - Hitec 645MG

Throttle Futaba 3001

Flaps - MG996R

Aileron - Savox 252MG

The wing servos are digital to allow me to use one SBus decoder in each wing half, so only one wire to connect each side. I ain't got small hands to fiddle around even in that large servo bay.

• 4 months later...

Yes, in fact it's just had a couple more today. In the air it's a really nice plane but i do need to get a handle on landing it. Shut the throttle and it drops out of the sky just like a bipe. At low speed it's a bit touchy on elevator, it may need some lead in the nose to calm it down. The U/C mountings are really not up to the job as the steel plate flexes too easily and the supplied oleos turned into bananas after a clumsy landing.

In every other regard it's a really nice model to display, responsive but looking steady in today's turbulent air.

I just need to do something about the U/C mountings.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 29/04/2017 17:04:58