exhaust deflector problems

Phil 9

Advert

I have had success by drilling a pin hole in the exhaust outlet. Slide the silicone tube on, push the pin through the silicone and drilled hole. Silicone keeps the pin in, and pin keeps silicone from falling off.

I have always found those lightweight deflectors are difficult to clamp in place.

I believe that silicone is JUST stable to 4 st exhaust gases. If she melts, are you sure that is silicone. And not some lying or ignorant retailer selling, for instance a bit of HD polythene.

Edit powered by fine malt 22 year malt.

Edited By Donald Fry on 09/12/2016 17:35:00

Phil, give some of the grey radio active branded ones a go. They should be a little tougher than the coloured ones (I find them to be quite soft). The exhaust gas temperature of large 4 strokes will easily cook silicone and I don't recommend it on engines above our 100 for that exact reason. But, the 70 should not be too big an issue so I suggest giving one the RA type a go and see where you end up.

If they give up there are some high temperature silicone tubes available as well

Posted by Percy Verance on 10/12/2016 07:45:42:

Phil

Is the inside of the outlet on your Laser silencer threaded? I know some of the newer Lasers have this threading on their silencers, and I think it's there to allow the fitment of an exhaust extension. Now I haven't tried this on any of my Lasers, and it's maybe a good idea to speak to Mr Harper here, but I do recall hearing/reading somewhere the thread is the same as is used on Saito silencers. If so, that may open up possibilities a bit. I never liked those flexible silicon extension things. They never seem to stay in place, but of course you know that already Phil......

Edited By Percy Verance on 10/12/2016 07:47:17

no threading on mine

Posted by Mike T on 10/12/2016 00:52:36:

Karma. If your engine keeps spitting it off, it's because it doesn't want it on there. Go with the (gas) flow...

Alternatively, meet your engine half-way and fit a nice alloy tube extension, held on with a self-tapper:

Ha!

One small word of warning though, if you go this route with and add some ali tube be careful not to add too much. If the exhaust gets too long/heavy it can resonate and engine vibration and the resonance can break the mounting clip and destroy the head. Its uncommon but has happened, so use the thinnest wall tube you can find.

Hopefully the RA extension will work. Remember to nip up the cable tie as tight as you can