Channel problems

Ryan Greenwood

Hi guys, I'm new to RC planes, however I have some experience in RC cars etc

So the issue is, I've been plugging in the connectors for the different components into the receiver, and everything seems to be in order except for the ailerons.

We all know how planes work, when a plane rolls, one goes up, the other goes down causing a roll. Now, when I move the stick to roll, only one will move up and down, the other doesn't do anything, no matter what channel it's plugged into on the receiver.

Currently my receiver is connected as follows..

Ch 1: left aileron
Ch 2: Elevator
Ch 3: Throttle

No matter which channel the right aileron is plugged into, it will not move when I use the 'roll' stick on the transmitter. It will move on the rudder control or something else, but not the roll stick, so I know it's not a servo problem.

Please can someone help me out, I'm desperate to fly my first edf jet

Advert

Ryan

Is this your first EDF or is it your first plane?

If it is your first plane an EDF is not recommended. They fly faster and thus crash harder so unless you already have quite some RC flying experience your plane is not likely to last long.

You would do much better to start with something simpler with a prop that flies slower and is more crash resistant. wink 2

Ryan

To summarise what others have said, there are two options

1) Both Ailerons on one channel with a Y Lead to split the output to two servos, you get moving in opposition mechanically

2) Each Aileron on a separate channel, with one slaved to the other so they move in unison opposite movement can be achieved mechanically or by reversing one of the servos

Posted by Cuban8 on 30/12/2016 20:18:44:
Hi Ryan and welcome to the hobby. I think that we need a bit of extra info about you and your model etc so that we can offer the best advice, and hopefully have you avoiding the usual beginners pitfalls.

Sorry, but he has already received the best advice several times over - don't even try and fly it until he has the necessary skills gained via a decent trainer. There is nothing wrong with not knowing basics like how to connect up separate aileron servos (we were all beginners once), but it does prove without any doubt he is not ready for an EDF. We all know to attempt a flight will result in a rapid re-kitting and probably an immediate exit from the hobby; not the outcome I am sure he wants.

Please see exhibit A...

Edited By MattyB on 30/12/2016 20:43:31

An EDF as your first aircraft.....i'd recommend something like this **LINK**

In terms of ailerons it could be how your TX is set-up and what aircraft type or mixed channels are enabled. It all depends on the make and model.

That said, i'd opt for a trainer at a club for your first adventure into model aircraft as EDF models usually need a lot of flying by people with some experience.

I must admit I missed the EDF bit on my first reading embarrassed

Ryan - I agree with Matty, this won't end well and you'll just be dissapointed having smashed up a lot of model. Flying RC planes isn't very difficult - well it can be but it shouldn't be! But is it a skill that has to be learnt and is harder than it looks.

Also you have to remember the consequences of getting it wrong with an aeroplane are usually much bigger than with a car - like you will "total" it, not just dent it! Not to mention possible consequences to others and their property!

Ryan - the guys really aren't just being negative with you they are trying to help - this is a one way trip to the black bin-bag mate. We can advise you how to get yourself into a place where you can fly that EDF, but there will be a couple of other easier models along for the ride first!

BEB

Knowing what the model is will be useful, not because we'd suggest that a rank beginner should consider flying even a simple edf, but perhaps putting it to one side until a couple of conventional trainers are under his belt and experience is gained is the way to go. If it's really too far advanced, then selling it on to finance a more suitable model could be the best thing.

https://www.centuryuk.com/RC-Planes/Electric-Jets/Mini-Viper-Jet/15987-/MaxThrust-Mini-Viper-Jet-Electric-Ducted-Fan-Plane-PNP

Hi guys, this is what the model is. It was a gift so I don't really know what to do regarding not flying it hahaha but thanks for the advice. I thought the Y connector was just a spare cable, but you made me realise, thanks

I think it might be useful if we explained in a bit more detail why we are so sure the EDF is not the model for you!

The vast majority of EDFs have to fly very fast - both to feed the fan and also because they tend to have very small wing areas so their wings don't make much lift unless they are going very fast.

Secondly it will almost certainly be inherently instable, no self correcting tendency. That means you have to fly it 100% of the time! No "parking it" in straight and level. Stop constantly correcting and balancing and it will destroy itself. Its a bit like balancing a broomstick on your finger tip - at 100mph! And the consequences of failure are not just a fallen broomstick and a bit of embarrassment - they are a smashed up model, if you are lucky - it might be more.

You see the speed will mean these corrections will have to be instinctive, there is no time with that sort of model to think - you have you just "know" in your finger muscles what to do. Its like walking, you don't think "pick up one foot move it forward, bend the other foot etc." You just do it. To fly a fast model like an EDF you have to be able to control it like that - without conscious thought - pure reflex. There is no time for anything else.

See why the guys are saying "no way"?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 30/12/2016 22:04:20

Well Ryan, as it is a gift, ignore all the good advise above and just go and try and fly it because when it crashes it will have cost you nothing. Take a poly bag with you to put the bits in.

Seriously, please take heed of the advise above and find out where your local club is where you will get alll the advice you need, otherwise give it to a charity shop.

Edited By Hamish on 30/12/2016 21:44:43

Ah the Viper Jet.... I reckon it might last as long as 10 seconds in inexperienced hands. Nice model, but certainly not for a beginner, or even as a second or third model. They need to be flown instinctively.

My prediction is that the c of g will be rearward and it'll loop back on itself and end up behind the pilot or the throws will be all over the place and over-correction will result in re-kitting..

Edited By ChrisB on 30/12/2016 22:34:14