OS Engine price variance

DCW

Recently I purchased an OS 62V four stroke engine. With it's retro design it looks too good and sounds good. Almost too good to be placed in a model, it would not be out of place in a display cabinet, where it is at the moment. Only temporarily though, when finished it will be destined for the Devil's Duster Mk.2, now nearing completion. I could not however notice the online price variance from £217.99 to a colossal £284.99! ( prices not including delivery, which is free in the first instance), Being in retail myself, (photographic not model supplies, unfortunately), I would expect, of course, to pay more from a high street shop for the extra service and advice, but £67 for an online purchase, I'm not so sure. Anyone else know of similar instances?

Happy New Year

David

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 05/01/2017 17:02:07

Advert

I'm surprised you went for that too when the Laser 70 is cheaper and you can call Jon up above who makes them . I think OS are perfectly OK and I do own a few of them but in installations where it's possible I would prefer Laser engines every time. I'm just about to buy my second Laser 80 for my Wot 4 when it's completed. I have an OS fsa 80 too. I think Lasers are better quality and easier handling, plus spares if ever needed won't take months to arrive!

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 04/01/2017 22:19:32

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 04/01/2017 22:21:03

Thanks Guys for the info. The main I started the thread was because of price variances and to 'shop around ' on line and get the best price.

Originally I would only use OS, and had one of the original 'open rocker' OS60fs engines, but recently I bought cheaper thinking that there would be little difference. They looked the same, some were even clones of an earlier OS design. However, I had forgotten just how good OS four strokes are, particularly the new designs and the FS-62v is no exception. It is the differences of pricing between outlets, nearly £70 seemed to 'oil-up my plugs'. The lowest price I could find was £217.99 with free delivery. The highest price I could find was £284.99 + £4.60 delivery, all UK shops. I have declined from mentioning dealerships, that would not be right and I would hope that dealers will not use this thread. That would not be right either.

DW

Posted by kc on 05/01/2017 17:27:24:

The Laser 70 is actually just 1 penny dearer! ( taking post into account and presuming you can only buy it by post)

So why not buy British? I mean buy English!

Because it's a fair bit heavier and the IS is a very good engine?

Posted by Justin K. on 05/01/2017 17:39:33:
Posted by kc on 05/01/2017 17:27:24:

The Laser 70 is actually just 1 penny dearer! ( taking post into account and presuming you can only buy it by post)

So why not buy British? I mean buy English!

Because it's a fair bit heavier and the IS is a very good engine?

True, but hands up those with a really nose heavy model?

male (nearest smiley to a hands up that I could find!)

The half built Priory Super Nova that I took pity on a couple of months ago from a late member's estate and have been enjoying regularly since with an SC 120 FS in the noisy end has its battery just in front of the tail, elevator/rudder servos just behind that and a 3/4 inch diameter x inch and a half slug of lead in front of the tailwheel - which gets the C of G half way between the specified limits!

img-20161222-wa0002.jpg

However, its very much an exception and the Tempest I'm (slowly) building will need every bit of gravity attracting equipment locating within a couple of inches of the spinner - maybe the opposite extreme to the Super Nova but I'd certainly agree that almost all scale - or vaguely real world shaped models - will need help to balance the (relative to full size) light model engine correctly.

To my mind, the undoubted quality of a hand built, superbly engineered locally produced engine offering particularly good value for money with the current fall in the Pound, coupled with ready access to the manufacturer makes my next engine investment a "no-brainer".

Edited By Martin Harris on 06/01/2017 01:41:00

Posted by DCW on 05/01/2017 13:59:59:

Thanks Guys for the info. The main I started the thread was because of price variances and to 'shop around ' on line and get the best price.

DW

This is what the guy was posting about ?? Do we really need another thread about Laser engines ? It's getting very tedious now.

Ok Jon produces engines that seem popular with some on here but they are a minority , very much so at my clubs. There are some excellent alternatives out there, does every thread about a four stroke have to lead to yet another marketing pitch for Laser engines ?

Not quite sure what your issue is Justin. I made one comment about price, Braddock make a joke, i posted a face, then Tim said something nice about us, you commented about weight, kc said something nice..... I never told anyone to buy anything and never said the OS engine that was the subject of the thread was a bad engine.

While its true that i believe strongly in the products i design, build and sell i am aware that there are other powerplants out there and if you read the other threads i am involved in i have stated many times that our engines are too large/small or in some other way unsuitable in some instances. Its unusual for them to be unsuitable, but if it is not the right choice i will say so.

I spend a great deal of time here trying to help people make the right choices about their models so they can have maximum enjoyment and minimum faff. How many other engine manufacturers are on here giving that sort of service and advice on engines/models they dont even sell?

Surprised at your post Justin. The original post was about price divergence as you said, and I made a perfectly relevant reply that a locally sourced and made product was cheaper and indeed better in my opinion. I did state that the alternative mass manufacturers product was good as I am an owner of quite a few. Maybe you have an alternative angle that we are not aware about on here? with your "excellent" alternatives? It was through this forum that I discovered Laser and I am thankful. Up until just over a year ago I had not even heard of them as they do not seem to advertise and none of my club members New them . Your post sounds to me like you have some outside interest we are not aware of.

I think that this thread is now time expired and time to close it off. I have been in the retail business, (photographic and optics), for nearly 20 years. We never 'slag off'' the opposition, and we do not use this type of forum to promote our products. The original reason for this thread was to get members to 'shop around' for the best deals. That is what our customers do and if possible prices are adjusted accordingly.

Just for the record the OS FS-62V will be going into the Devil's Duster 2, for the first few test flights however, I will be using a older less important engine just in case I have a problem.

I think I have a Laser engine gathering dust somewhere in the workshop which should do.....

DW

Posted by DCW on 06/01/2017 09:02:37:

I think that this thread is now time expired and time to close it off. I have been in the retail business, (photographic and optics), for nearly 20 years. We never 'slag off'' the opposition, and we do not use this type of forum to promote our products. The original reason for this thread was to get members to 'shop around' for the best deals. That is what our customers do and if possible prices are adjusted accordingly.

Just for the record the OS FS-62V will be going into the Devil's Duster 2, for the first few test flights however, I will be using a older less important engine just in case I have a problem.

I think I have a Laser engine gathering dust somewhere in the workshop which should do.....

DW

Yes and a good post about shopping around for a good price it was DW. By the way some of the European shops are offering very good prices on OS & Saito engines with delivery in around 4 working days, definitely worth a look.

To be fair to Justin, it is noticeable that Jon cleverley influences some posts to the range of Laser engines he produces. But why not? Other manufacturers get lots of free publicity on the sites of all the retailers, but since Laser engines are only available from the factory they do not benefit in the same way. So if Jon ccontinues to give us a gentle reminder about his products I have no objection. They are, after all, superb engines.

I don't think the OP was looking for an OS v Laser comparison when he started this thread, which has drifted way off-topic, so I reckon it's time to close it off now....

Pete

ps By way of explanation, I did not see this as a case of Jon hijacking the thread for his own purposes, more a case of his followers causing a drift away from the original subject. Jon's contributions are of great value to the forum and he is well aware of the rules we impose on traders and we are happy that he complies those restrictions - it's never going to be black and white so we have to look at the shade of grey each timesmile

He has asked for the opportunity to respond to Solly's post which I'm happy to post below:

Cheers Solly.

I dont make any effort to influence people/threads beyond mentioning that our products exist as frankly that is our biggest issue. People dont know we are here and as i have a tag in my name everyone knows who i am when i post about anything and that is half the battle. This is a double edged sword at times as anything i say can be viewed as a sales pitch, but equally giving pro Laser advice 'in secret' while posing as a normal forum user wouldnt sit well either and rightly so. If i am then asked for more details about one of my products i will post about it, but you wont see me laying into people for buying something else. 

The feedback i have received regarding my participation on the forum has generally been very positive so i see no reason to change things. Yes it helps us and bit in terms of sales, but not in the way most people will expect. The people who have mentioned that the forum influenced their purchase choice mostly reference the comments of others supporting the brand, backing up my claims and not just my input. They also appreciate being able to deal with a manufacturer so directly. 

DCW i understand what you are saying about advertising, but these days social media is king and i am far from the only manufacturer on here. Seagull regularly post on facebook, I believe kolm and valach are on RCU etc. A friend who is into bikes also tells me many manufacturers post on bike forums these days. 

The alternative is to let Laser fade away which is not something i want to see happen 

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 06/01/2017 11:12:12