Twin Engine Set-up Advise Please

Johnny Kirkham

Hi chaps

I've just purchased my first ic twin model and I want to set up the throttles independently from each other.

I'm using a DX9 trannie and want to set the throttles up on a 3 position switch so that position 0 is say the left engine, position 1 is both engines together and position 2 is the right hand engine.

Obviously im running both engines on two separate channels on the rx but I'd like to know how to set the tx up to achieve this.

Is this the way forward or am I just over complicating things?

How do you guys set your multi engines up?

Thanks in advance, Johnny

Advert

Why do you want to control your motors on separate channels?I currently fly a twin and both engines are controlled by one channel linked to the Rx on a Y lead,also using a Dx9.Should one engine cut you will probably have enough to think about without having to decide which switch to flick!

About the only time I can see independent throttles being of any great use is when taxiing on land or water.I would advise just plugging in to one Rx output.

Hi Johnny, I assume you want this complex control for ground set up, but in truth it is quite straightforward setting up with them in tandem from the start, as once running sweetly, there is little more to do. It is your choice, but await further advice on the thread. I really do not like the idea of the simple flickingvof a 3 way switch have such an effect on running motors, it does introduce risks.

Hi Brian my thoughts were having them on separate channels makes it easier to set them up because you can alter your settings independently from one another and also on start up you can leave the first engine on fast idle while you start the second. I would be flying the model with the throttles working together so if one engine did conk out the throttle on the running engine would be as normal and I wouldn't be flicking any switches.....just a thought??

Thanks Johnny 😊

As someone who has designed and built quite a few twins.Forget different throttle channels.

SEt them up on the normal throttle channel. Set the max RPM by ear and also the slow running. Make sure that they respond reasonably together and go fly.

The only time twins get interesting is when one engine cuts. It is then more importaant to know engine has stopped than anything else. Once you do you can control things OK.

I will just say that with Grumpy Tigercub it is hard to tell becauss one can turn into the dead engine without much reaction.

Oh, and that is set up with no side or downthrusts. just point them straight ahead

Hi Peter, thanks for your advice. The model is a Cessna 310 and has got apposing thrusts built in to aid an engine out situation however how well this works remains to be seen lol. The instructions say one engine is enough to fly straight and level but there is not enough power to take it round again so I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one!!

Many thanks Johnny 😊

I did something similar with my first twin so that I could practice engine out control at a safe height. It's also great for performing the Zurabatic Cartwheel (stall turn with outside engine at full throttle, inside throttled back). Probably easiest to set up in flight modes, try the following with Aux 2 as the other throttle output:

Channel Input Config Port 1 Throttle N/A, Port 7 Aux 2 Throttle

Flight Mode 1 normal throttle no mix.

Flight Mode 2 mix throttle - Aux2 - Rate -100% 100% Offset -100%, Switch Flight Mode 2 Active, other F Modes disabled. That gives throttle operating as normal & Aux 2 stays at idle.

That's as far as I went but I guess a further mix on FM3 could be configured to with a throttle to throttle negative mix to disable the throttle channel but I've not tried it.

Hope that helps.

I haven't flown IC twins for some time, but last time I did it was a seaplane and having ability to mix rudder with throttle made water handling much easier.

Also different radio, but I know someone who wants to be able to idle one of his IC motors on a scale multi-engine so he can call this as one of his scale maneuvers.