RCM&E February 2017 issue

Glyn44

Advert

Just got my copy. The 'Raider' article took my interest. Still got one (of many) I made back in the early 80's to the original design. Its fitted with an OS 25 Max and heavy Skyleader SRC-1 servos. Last time I flew it must be 10 years, or more, ago. A plain bearing 20/25 engine is plenty, more power does not make it go any faster. Plus, plain bearing motors are more (a bit) durable when you hit the ground. Good fun to fly! If anyone wants to make an IC version I still have all the original info and I could scan the motor mount and post.

I've not seen the mag yet so cut me some slack if I'm wrong but are they seriously suggesting a warbird with a fully symmetrical wing section is suitable for PSS? Who came up with that assertion and are they qualified to make it? My fear is that people will have a go, it won't work and we'll be back in the dark ages with people thinking that PSS isn't viable in anything less that 50mph. This will do more harm than good IMO.

To be fair Matt what the author actually says is:

"I have not been brave enough to chuck her off one of my many local coastal slopes, but Clive's original design has been slope soared sucessfully. I can't wait to hear that an experienced PSS pilot has sucessfully glided Babybolt and find out how she fared - do let me know if that pilot is you!"

I think that is fair comment. There is a clear indication that this is an unknown quantity to some extent and that experinece would be required to take this on.

BEB