Dornier Do 335 Pfeil

Maarten Werner

Hello Chaps,

Not an elaborate build log but I thought I'd share some pictures of my newly finished Dornier Pfeil. Build from the Paul Janssens plan.

Wingspan 45", Weight 43 oz.

Lost foam glassfiber fuse, veneer covered foam wings.

img_0244.jpg

img_0331.jpg

img_0334.jpg

img_0332.jpg

img_0333.jpg

Not a lot of scale details, this leaves me with more time for the next build

I hope to maiden her soon and I hope you like it.

Best regards, Maarten

Advert

Thanks for the suggestion but Velcro does not seem like a particularly elegant solution. Also I would not like to lose the lower fin in flight.... My LZ is fairly soft so it should be OK since I used quite a bit of fiberglass on the lower fin. I wasn't too worried about the weight because of the long nose. Hardly any nose weight was needed. Regards, Maarten

Posted by Phil Cooke on 29/01/2017 10:53:36:

Can you explain to me how you datum and attach the fins and tail to the hollow, thin walled fus?

Sure

On all my builds I like to do the wing first so I can make the fuse to fit the wing with a tight wingseat. With the wing attached to the fuse I jig up the wing to zero-zero incidence. Next I mark the incidence for the horizontal and cut out slots for the horizontal. After aligning the horizontal it is fixed provisionally with ca. Next I make fillets from resin/ microballoons to fix it permanently, Same thing for the vertical, of course proper alignment is very important.

On this build I set up a light balsa lower vertical and gave it 2 layers of medium glass. Next I made heavy fillets from medium glass and resin, doing 3 to 4 layers, finishing with a layer of splooge and sanding. This made the lower vertical essentially part of the fuselage. Should be strong enough.

Maarten