Six Nations Rugby Union 2017

john stones 1 - Moderator

Advert

I suspect EJ will still be disappointed in what he will see as some relatively soft tries conceded, but going forward England looked fantastic, particularly the starting 9-10-12 combination. Scotland were a major disappointment though - ill disciplined and poor in defence. Still, when you're staring down the barrel of a 20 point deficit in as many minutes they deserve credit for still scoring 3 tries.

I half watched the England/Scotland match on the PC in my workshop as I was pottering about fitting wing servos in my Mew Gull and found it quite enjoyable to watch - certainly more so than football. A lot of the analysis went right over my head but the play patterns revealed by the replays were interesting.

A couple of things from a non-expert who hasn't played since the age of 15 back in 1955!

First, the place kicking is incredible. It seems the best kickers can score from anywhere up to the half way line and tries anywhere are convertible - they certainly weren't when I was a schoolboy even by the 6' giants my 5'6" self had to play against!

Second, fixed scrums seem to do nothing but slow the game right down, especially when it takes 3 attempts to get one to work straight without collapsing. Obviously biassed put-ins by the scrum half are legitimate now. IIRC we had to put them in straight and to the hookers back in 1955. I think the flow of the game would be far better without them.

Lastly, does the English coach EVER break into a smile? I mean he had a lot to smile about today.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 11/03/2017 20:51:25:

Second, fixed scrums seem to do nothing but slow the game right down, especially when it takes 3 attempts to get one to work straight without collapsing. Obviously biassed put-ins by the scrum half are legitimate now. IIRC we had to put them in straight and to the hookers back in 1955. I think the flow of the game would be far better without them.

Absolutely agree, Geoff - same in the '60's for me. Not much point in having hookers now when the ball goes straight to the 2nd row.....crook

Pete

I am puzzled about the language, as Pete indicates, seems very reasonable to me.

I do believe that it was an excellent result and a fair one for England.

I am a little surprised that the Scottish (Brown) tackle was only a yellow, as England has been red carded for similar spearing tackles, without the tackle being late. I also have have had doubts about some officials not being biassed. The suggestion that that a England player should be yellow or red carded by i think an Irish linesman, was for me very controversial. A late tackle yes, certainly a penalty, no more, the tackle most defianatly was not high, well below the throat, you would have to be blind to see otherwise. Thank goodness the third referee, who was categoric, in that it was no worse than many other un-penalised instances, a penalty was the max. At least the referee did penalise one of the more outrageous attempts at intimidation by a Scottish player, so that was a well done for me.

I thought England played very well, forcing Scotland to go for broke. They did get three tries, so not unrewarded, for their endeavours.

A very good fast game, from an England perspective.

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 11/03/2017 20:23:57:

Use whatever language you like at a football match but on a rugby thread, on this forum, exhibit a little self-discipline, please!face 5

Pete

Not sure if that was aimed at me but if so, apologies for any offence caused but, frankly, I've heard much worse spoken by the players throughout the tournament and inadvertently broadcast.

If you want comparisons with a football match try being in a rugby club post game.

Same here Geoff and Pete. As a hooker back in the 50s and early 60s we were allowed both feet off the ground and the ball had to come in straight. Back then the hooker was a lightweight so the props could hold him up (a giveaway is the Welsh word 'yn bachwr' - the small one). Once the rule changed to one foot on the ground, hookers simply became extra weight in the pack with no need for any skill in actually hooking the ball.

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 11/03/2017 23:50:00

Mostly agree, but I reckon that Wales will do France proper. Bottom line, the jumbo pack is not a lot more effective than when Wales tried it in the Jenkins era. They are disheartened, tired, and I reckon need a bit more speed and staying power than they will have against Wales tomorrow. Mind, they may try to get fitter, but that is for next year.

Sick with worry about Ireland already, but as Malcom Cooper said, if I'm worried, what do the opposition feel like. Mind the wheels lads.

Yup, I reckon England have now found their mojo.

Eddie Jones won't let them get too confident but they've a very good record recently and are now selecting from the first choice players.

Ireland are still a very good side but your money would have to be on England, even if it is with fingers tightly crossed!

I'm not too confident Donald and I wouldn't put a whole heap of money on it but England SHOULD win, probably by not a lot, but on form they ought to. There's a lot more resilience, determination and sheer bleeding-mindedness in this England team than most of those that have gone before.

That said, I'll still be watching the match from behind the sofa....

Posted by Nigel Day on 18/03/2017 09:50:23:

That would be amazing given their performances as little as 18 months ago. Like with England, it shows how quickly things can turn around.

Errm? Didn't Scotland get to the quarter finals of the last world cup and miss out on a semi place thanks to a stupid, blind ref?wink

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. Come on Wales, get the finger out. A nice win by a narrow margin and no bonus point will see Scotland stay in second place.

Michael quite right, you were the only home nation to hold their heads up at the end. Might I reign my prediction in, Wales might win, but you got t gang on to that ovally thing. Don't you love predictive text.

Edited By Donald Fry on 18/03/2017 15:35:33