converting from Nicad to lipo reciever

Dan Murphy

Advert

I agree with Martin - LiFe is a better chemistry in general for RXs and servos - but if you still want to run a Lipo just get a 5A rated switching BEC, or if it's a bigger model either retracts and flaps too a 10A would be safer (the Castle Creations one is good and is rated to a true 10A on up to 3S).

All Rx's will take a 2s Li-Po battery, its the servos that need to be suitable. I always use Li-Po Rx packs, Li-Fe are fussy to charge properly like Ni-mh. Current of a regulator required comes down to the type and number of servos, but since its not a 3-D model a 3A constant load switch regulator or just regulator if you don't mind a sliding switches potential weak point. Powerbox Digi Switch or they do a stand alone regulator too

I've got to agree with Phil - LiFe cells don't need balancing on every charge, although it's no more difficult than with a LiPo, can be fast charged in situ as safely as NiXX cells and don't need the complication and additional failure point of a regulator to work with most servos. A123 and similar cylindrical cased varieties are virtually bullet-proof although I use soft cased ones regularly.

Edited By Martin Harris on 12/02/2017 22:31:54

As one who frequents the slopes and flies electric from the flat, I now equip the gliders with 'retired' power packs from the electric models. These are mainly 3s LiPos which still have more than adequate capacity but whose equivalent internal resistance has got a bit high for high current applications. A 5v 3a uBEC is generally used for voltage regulation.

The downside, as has been mentioned, is that receiver packs are often buried deep in the nose of the glider and charging in situ isn't the best arrangement. However, because LiPos hold their charge so well and need charging so infrequently, I usually do this when needed, on the slope, so that model and charger are out in then open. Again, a larger electric flight 3s or 4s LiPo comes in handy for powering the charger.

I've nothing against LiFe batteries but, by not having any at all, my charger stays permanently on the LiPo setting, avoiding one source of human error.

Edited By Trevor on 14/02/2017 10:13:54