Horizon Hobbies

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 10/10/2017 22:04:21:
Posted by Mike Blandford on 10/10/2017 18:43:42:

Most of the problems with Taranis firmware are related to trying to upgrade it.

There is no actual need to do this, just switch on and fly! The Taranis has not ever needed to be updated, it works well as shipped.

Mike.

So there was really no need to change from the Mk1 EU firmware?

Strangely both of you are correct!

Mike is right, it is perfectly possible to get a Taranis out of the box and never update the OpenTX firmware that runs the system - I know many people who have done this. Personally I never recommend newcomers to start by update OpenTX, as there is just no need - you will only be getting new features that are very advanced that most beginners will not get near for the first 12-18 months at least, if ever.

Frank's challenge is also fair though - FrSky did make a horlicks of responding to the ETSI regulations with revised RF firmware (note - different to OpenTX). The mk1 firmware did cause some people some range issues (thankfully now resolved with LBT), but there is no doubt reputational damage was caused and FrSky's instructions on how to execute updates when they are required often leave a lot to be desired.

The reality is though that in todays function rich, software powered world it is not realistic to expect that our TXs and RXs will never require a software update. It is not like FrSky are the only people to have been caught out here - Spektrum had to retire DSM2 as it was no longer compliant, Futaba waited until the very last moment to change FASST and I understand there are still TXs that never received an update. FrSky are not the only ones to have made gaffes that caused reliability issues in the 2.4 world - remember Spek's high reboot voltages of early RXs and the issue with the DX8? What about the Futaba 0000 GUID issue? Even Jeti have experienced software issues which in some instances were aggressively dismissed by the US distributor online but were later proved to be valid and a software update was released. There is no perfect manufacturer or system out there, all are fallible at some level.

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 28/10/2017 09:24:18:

I thought it might be worth mentioning this. I ordered an AS6410T receiver on-line on Sunday 22 October. It arrived in the Post on Thursday 26 October, despatched from Elmshorn in Germany.

Not all bad news then but I'm still waiting for my transmitter to be returned.

• 2 weeks later...

My Spektrum DX9 transmitter turned up today after having been on a world tour for the last three months.

The German/European office received it on 21st August, and posted it to the American headquarters in Champaign Illinois five weeks later on 29th September. The American office received it on 4th October and managed to repair it in two days, posting it back to Germany on 6th October. An attempt was made to deliver my transmitterl to me on 30th October but between August and October I had moved house! With the help of a more computer-literate friend we managed to get the parcel re-directed.

Since August I have been using my DX6i which I retained as a slave transmitter so I will have to rebind my models to the DX9. I have already done so to the club trainer and all seems to be well. The transmitter is currently on charge, its battery having lost a fair bit of voltage on its world tour!

"The German/European office received it on 21st August, and posted it to the American headquarters in Champaign Illinois five weeks later on 29th September. The American office received it on 4th October and managed to repair it in two days, posting it back to Germany on 6th October."

5 weeks to re-post something? Does not make for impressive service. Shame on you HH Europe. They have not made a good job of reorganising the service network in Europe.

The US operation, at least, looks like it is still alive and well.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the best features of the DX9 and other Spektrum transmitters is the 'talking' telemetry. After having a problem with Lemon telemetry, I thought I would use the original TM1000 module that came with my transmitter. I was interested in an altimeter. I find that when they were sold by a wide range of retailers they used to cost around £50. There are very few for sale now (Als Hobbies don't have any stock for instance) and even those retailers willing to sell them on the web want £76 for them, an increase of 50% (approximately in case BEB is watching!).

If I was willingly to run the gauntlet of buying on Ebay from a seller in the USA the price is $49 (about £35) plus postage, VAT, Royal Mail tax etc,

This price increase I believe is fairly typical of Spektrum products and with the closure of their UK service centre factored in it would seem they are sending a very clear message to UK Spektrum users. Sort of 'Goodbye!'

I was in Als this morning and all they had were G Force modules (can't think why I would want one of those?) nothing else. Good news that we can get Spektrum stuff serviced but will level of service match HH UK centre before it closed I wonder? The 50% increase in prices is still an issue. Yes I know the exchange rate has moved against sterling but the dollar prices in the States seem to indicate a little mickey taking.

The question that is obvious, by how much as the £ devalued recently?

Apparently since the announcement to leave the EU, it is 13%, against the dollar (USA).

Against the Euro 16%, although with the Germans in a spot of bother, even more issues with Spain, Italy and oh, I nearly forgot Greece.

Apparently we should expect more variation of both up and down for some time.

A 50% increase does seem a tad high, if correct, if it is just to cover currency issues.

Edited By Erfolg on 21/11/2017 21:50:27

Posted by Erfolg on 21/11/2017 21:49:47:

The question that is obvious, by how much as the £ devalued recently?

Apparently since the announcement to leave the EU, it is 13%, against the dollar (USA).

Against the Euro 16%, although with the Germans in a spot of bother, even more issues with Spain, Italy and oh, I nearly forgot Greece.

Apparently we should expect more variation of both up and down for some time.

A 50% increase does seem a tad high, if correct, if it is just to cover currency issues.

Edited By Erfolg on 21/11/2017 21:50:27

Those of us who are old enough will remember the decimalisation of £-s-d and the manipulation of prices by businesses (upwards) at the time. Similarly, the lower exchange rate gives some importers the excuse to hike their retail prices way above a level that would otherwise simply cover their increased import prices. £ down by 20% against the $ or whatever, leads to 50% retail price hike in the shops? Just think what a £100 (retail) receiver costs the importer from the Chinese factory - I'd guess twenty or twenty five quid tops - 20% of that doesn't go anywhere near the retail increase. Am I misunderstanding something? Anyway, nice work if you can get it and I'm not sure that I'll be putting up with it for much longer. Are you listening HH?