DB Cirrus Moth build

Advert

Best not to dwell on that fact Tom........frown

I decided that today I will fix the cabane structure into the Moth, So I rigged it all up to get an idea of how well it fitted.

Before I could do anything I had to fit the receiver, then that prompted a need to sort out where the ESC (not speedo, I've been told they are swimming pants) goes. that created another job, a new hole for the ESC wires, which lead to fitting the arming plug. I also had to route an extension for the ESC under the rudder gizmo, so that came out and back in.

As a result, after 3 hours, I still have to fit the cabane..........................surprise

I have also shaped the wing struts, just need to fix the pins in one end, and the paint them black.

D.D.

The Hub Caps, one still on the card.

img_20170514_125946.jpg

The Cabane structure ready to go. LOL

img_20170514_145224.jpg

Motor, ESC, and the new hole.

img_20170514_145257.jpg

img_20170514_145420.jpg

The Arming plug. I made the hole and built a box around it, and filled it with Epoxy resin, it shouldn't move. the box will be trimmed once the Glue has dried.

img_20170514_153317.jpg

Motor in, Wheels on, strut wires made and fixed, Struts fixed to bottom wing, Cowl on, and prop ans prop nut on.

Ready to fly, checked the balance with a battery and she is spot on the C of G on the plan.

I will probably fly her in this guise, and then if all is well, add the final details like exhaust, dummy engine, hub caps, pilot and cockpit details, and the rest of the paint and decals.

D.D.

img_20170516_115231.jpg

img_20170516_115344.jpg

img_20170516_111913.jpg

img_20170516_112145.jpg

• 1 month later...

Today I decided I would balance the moth, it was tail heavy and needed some lead. I decided to use a nimh battery up front to power the Rx and act as useful ballast at the same time, I still had to add 80g of lead, which I put under the motor. I pulled the red wire out of the ESC plug as it was not needed to power the Rx.

D.D.

img_20170628_143404.jpg

img_20170628_143448.jpg

img_20170628_143525.jpg

img_20170628_145218.jpg

img_20170628_145252.jpg

img_20170628_150333.jpg

I also added the cockpit edging and maybe this Guy will fly her. His previous steed bit the dust last week, a DB Baby Ace, so he needs a job.

D.D.

img_20170628_232000.jpg

img_20170628_232031.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 28/06/2017 23:35:48

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I Maidened the Moth today, well yesterday by now, waiting for a vid to upload.

Flew really well plenty of power, only used half throttle. i had to use a lot of right trim on rudder and aileron, on landinf found a wing strut loose, so may have been that. Had a second flight as well.... so a happy camper today.

D.D.

Thanks Cymaz, I still have the 110 on the bench Matey, gimme a break.....laugh

Thanks Richard, I can now add the final scale details.....if you noticed, the pilot had chickened out and the wheel hubs were missing.

Also Gotta secure the wing struts more..........er......................securely......frown

I also tested the glide and contrary to popular opinion it glides very well, altho dead sticks should not be a problem. i got two flights out of the 3s 2650 Mah battery, of about 4 mins each. The vid was taken using my SJ1000 on my cycling helmet. I filmed the second flight at X2, but got nothing......must've moved the camera...

D.D.

Looked very good, Dwain. Nice, smooth take off and (more importantly!) a greaser landing!

What's the problem with the struts? I assume you mean the inter-plane struts. I've never had a problem with mine on the Tiger Moth and they just hook in on the bottom with a 180 deg hook so they can't easily detach and are secured at the top with bike spokes held in with elastic bands as illustrated on the drawing. I think the method's also shown on DB's web site. Works a treat and overcomes one of the binds of rigging/derigging model biplanes

I've been totally inactive on the aeromodelling front for weeks but I bought a Fugly at Cosford on Saturday as a really quick build to get me going again. My Cirrus is still in its box but WILL be built before too long and this thread of yours will be a big help I'm sure.

Geoff