DB Cirrus Moth build

Advert

No wings to go and just half fuz sides to go, I remembered just in time to put a nice fillet on the bottom wing seat, and to neaten up the edges of the rudder exit holes.....Phew again.....!! face 20

The fillet is sanded back to the profile of the wing, actually, to nothing at the T/E.

Wrapped the U/C in foam to stop it crushing the new fillet, as per a suggestion by someone earlier in the thread. I will cover the fillet and then the sides to make a nice neat job.

Had to work today, had three powercuts, Thanks local authorities, I only had 13 blocks to reset both intruder and fire each time, plus boilers and DHW.

Tomorrow it's mothers facia board in plastic, and finish the aviary.................is there no respite............crook

D.D.

img_20170429_220540.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 29/04/2017 22:39:41

I have made the dummy tank skin. I made it from corrugated cardboard, which I wet with water and let hang over the top wing center. Once it had contoured itself I gave it a blast with the heat gun, which set it. I then soaked it with CA and it ended up as hard as a "Bibble". Next I stuck it down with Aliphatic glue and pinned it. I will get some pics later. I was unable to get them at the time, as there was a crisis with the Candy Floss machine...............!!

YES.....You heard me correctly.

Next up is a bit of Black paint, or could be rib tapes, or I might even glue the Tail Plane on.

D.D.

A bit more...................

I think I will paint the tank silver to simulate metal ?? This is the underside ready to go, as you can see the CA makes it look like an old roof sheet.

img_20170501_173927.jpg

Top side on the wing, pinned and glued.

img_20170501_173942.jpg

tore a strip off and made rib tapes, I didn't simulate the stitching.

img_20170501_203935.jpg

Today I have installed the servos in the wing and made the rods, installed the snake inner in the fuselage and the servo tray and the rudder mechanism. also the tail is glued on, I used Epoxy for that job, but I used CA to glue the vertical stab into the horizontal stab. All the surfaces are attached now too.

D.D.

img_20170504_151532.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 04/05/2017 19:31:38

Dwain, wouldn't the fuel tank be painted to match the wings or fuselage? I know it is on G-ACDC Tiggie which is what mine is (vaguely) based on. I was lucky enough to find some corrugated card on eBay that was exactly the right shade of red and very inexpensive. I think it's intended for handicrafts etc.

It's all looking very good. After falling on my Tiggie last week while carrying a heavy building board I've had to make a completely new tail assembly Not best pleased with my clumsy self. Just glad it's so windy I wouldn't be flying it anyway.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 04/05/2017 20:17:33

That's unfortunate Geoff, but to a man of your calibre, the repair is simplicity itself. Don't be too hard on yourself Matey, we all do silly things now and again.

The Tank is going to be black as per the scheme I have chosen, but my idea is to simulate metal by first applying the silver, then a black layer or two, which I will wipe, to give the appearance of a bit of age.

Here is the scheme.dehavillanddh60gmwgipsymothg-aamtseries2rev2-1.jpg

img_20170504_210309.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 04/05/2017 21:53:14

I was in a painting mood today so I started on the fuselage and the cowl.

I am using Warbird Colours black and doing it by hand.

In between coats I use a hot air gun to dry the paint , this lets me apply multiple coats in double quick time.

The pics show Four coats applied.

D.D.

img_20170513_104154.jpg

img_20170513_122619.jpg

img_20170513_122632.jpg

img_20170513_122707.jpg

img_20170513_130410.jpg

img_20170513_130433.jpg

I have also made a start on the Hub caps supplied by Richard at DB Sport and Scale.

I have made a disk of balsa which sits inside the vac formed hubcap, the disk was sanded to a dome shape to get the maximum gluing area, and the glued with CA. I put it against the wheel and pushed the wheel onto the axle, thereby making a mark in the balsa, which I then reamed out with a 4 mm bit by hand, but not through the plastic. There should be enough room when the Collet is holding the wheel on, for the hubcap to be fixed to the wheel.

I will paint these to match the colour scheme.

D.D.

img_20170513_134954.jpg

img_20170513_135024.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 13/05/2017 13:58:44

Good idea to fit a balsa disc inside the hub to glue on the DB hub cap. I have the same wheels. I make balsa discs by using the 'scrap' from a hole saw cutting and that means there's a central hole ready cut.

By hand painting, do you mean brush? I use Warbirds colours and it does brush quite well. I use a fairly expensive brush I bought in an art shop and clean it thoroughly under the tap after each use - the advantage of water based paint.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Yes I have used brushes, like you, the best I can get, as they last a long time, and "wear in" nicely for cutting a nice straight line.

I have added the Rudder lines. The guides being simulated with ball links from my heli spares box. I do the pull pull set up with the servos connected and the Tx on, to center the them. Obvious, but mentioned just in case some one has never done it before........wink.

Also, I have painted the embossed lettering on the wheels, i will do the background black of course, to match the rest

D.D.

Front.

img_20170513_151408.jpg

Back.

img_20170513_151329.jpg

Middle.

img_20170513_151534.jpg

DH.60X [Cirrus III] regd G-AAMT [CofR 2169] 16.9.30 to National Flying Services Ltd, Hanworth. CofA 2789 issued 17.10.30. Operated by Nottingham Aero Club, Tollerton. Crashed Cotgrave, nr Nottingham 9.11.30; pilot Ronald L Wing killed. Regn cld 11.30

See the info at the bottom of the picture.

My Daughters name is AMY, so you can see why I chose the reg.

dehavillanddh60gmwgipsymothg-aamtseries2rev2-1.jpg

2cac77211c0f82464167d963f5f3ca06.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 13/05/2017 22:59:59

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 13/05/2017 23:06:51