DB Cirrus Moth build

He used to fly my Extra 330, and never once spilled a drop of tea.

Today I have been sticking sticks, and this is the result of my labours, and it was a laborious task I can tell you. !!

D.D.

First you need a really bendy ruler to draw some lines round some corners.

img_20170417_124147.jpg

I added the main ribs first then marked up the spacing, in this case it was 20mm, dunno if this is to scale, but it's only for effect.

img_20170417_115702.jpg

img_20170417_112557.jpg

img_20170417_105701.jpg

img_20170417_135054.jpg

img_20170417_135151.jpg

I then decided to have a go at fitting the struts, they still have to be shaped, and the pins glued in, and all set up but they look OK, and the wings sit well. Happy Campers at Dibley Towers.

img_20170417_141444.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 17/04/2017 14:53:22

Advert

I hadn't realised the Cirrus Moth kit had a full D section wing l/e. The Tiggie is all open structure but this will make for a much stiffer wing. Your idea of glueing strip on the l/e sheeting to simulate an open structure I may steal. You have, of course done the same on the underside just as I'm sure you're going to apply simulated rib stitching to both upper and lower surfaces devil

Geoff

I have no clue Cymaz, but I may endeavor to find out at some point. I have seen images with the appendages.

Meanwhile, I have been playing with servos and building the boxes for them to sit in.

I also bought some things, that arrived today, this may give the Colour scheme away tho.

Standard servos are a bit tight in the wing but they do go in.

I couldn't help it so I had to do a bit of covering.

D.D.

img_20170420_183253.jpg

img_20170420_183203.jpg

img_20170420_183220.jpg

img_20170420_183144.jpg

img_20170420_201758.jpg

Posted by cymaz on 18/04/2017 06:18:35:

Interesting that the Cirrus Moth didn't have anti stall strips on the top wing but the Gipsy Moth did. I wonder why that was?

I think those anti-stall strips were invented by Handley Page. The HP42 airliner flown by Ian Redshaw has them and they work totally automatically. Ian initially fitted servos but IIRC found them unnecessary in practice as the strips lift as airflow over the wing reduces. Not exactly sure why but Ian says they actually do work.

Like the anti-spin strakes, they're only fitted to some Tiger Moths but they are very simple in operation but perhaps not so simple to add.

The scheme looks great DD and should show up well. For contrasting lines I use the Solartrim strips available in several colours and widths ready cut. It goes round gentle curves quite well and stays on mostly.

Geoff

img_0733.jpgimg_0734.jpgThose are Handley Page Slats. Developed by HP in response to a competition set up by Guggenheim to make aeroplanes safer. They produced the HP39 Gugnunc that featured these high lift devices. Powered by an Armstrong Siddeley Mongoose, it had a stalling speed of only 33 mph and could take off in a very short run, with a steep climb-out and not stall. I have never seen it modelled, but it looks like a good candidate. The original still exists in the Science Museum. Not wishing to divert the thread, but in view of the interest, here it is.img_0736.jpg

Yes..A nice diversion away from the endless covering.....

I intend to hand paint the black parts, but I have also considered the Solartrim idea, if the paint route gets aborted.

More covering has been achieved this evening, as I will be aviary building again tomorrow.

D.D.

img_20170422_231006.jpg

This pic shows up the dummy riblet effect quite well.

img_20170422_230742.jpg

If you intend to paint the black edging on then beware of bleeding. Doing a bit of reading up, paint the edge to be painted first with the same colour as the covering. Then mask off with blue lining tape and paint in the black. The base coat will stop bleed through under the tape.

A bit of testing on scrap woul be a wise move to avoid a disaster kulou

Actually a little bleeding isn't too much of a disaster if you're covering a model red. In this case however ...

I admire your energy, Dwain, but as far as I'm concerned aviary building is strictly for the birds.

Geoff

PS Very impressed with your dummy riblets. They'll really help to bring the model alive. That's an idea I will almost certainly steal.