Sharkface

Andy G.

You might like to add a bit (quite a bit) more colour on the bottom of the wings unless you enjoy better than 20/20 vision. They are small little bu##ers which can be hard to orientate when they are a distance away.

Edited By GeeW on 13/04/2017 22:46:55

So what do you do gentlemen if the building of your Baron 1914 has stalled, the assembly of your ARTF Acro WOT hasn't progressed for months, your Flair Harvard only needs the engine fitting,  the Supra Fly kit you bought as a Christmas present hasn't been started, you've committed to buying a Warbirds Replica Hurricane and you're renovating a house?

Answer? You check your stocks of micro servos and small electric motors and get the Sharkface plan out!

Edited By David Davis on 14/04/2017 06:54:07

Hi Chaps - I'm delighted to report a successful test flight today.

Sharky flew really well if a little sensitive in roll, due to the short wing, but he wasn't too fast to handle. I left the Babe Bee engine rich so Sharky wasn't too fast. after the engine stopped I was surprised how shallow the glide was.

All in all a real pleasure to fly and a great fun model.

• 1 month later...

My the latest 'low cost' power plant in Sharkface is an Emax CF2812 1200KV. I used the 6x3" prop from my Cox engine, which is seriously undersized for this motor. It turns at 8000rpm and draws only 3.5A from the 2S 1300mAh LiPo. On the Cox 0.049 the same prop turned at 1300rpm.... Sharky flew... just about.... and the battery lasted for ages! I'll try a few more props before trying Sharky with my PAW 0.6cc.

• 6 years later...

Hopefully resurrecting this thread. I am building Sharkface as a walk down memory lane . It was the first model I built 55years ago, single channel escapement!, and as I now fly mainly composite gliders, it will probably be the last model I build from wood.

I have a new cox 0.49 but have decided to stick an electric motor on it.

Problem is I can't decide what ? Can you help please.

Thanks and merry Christmas.

Paul.

Still my favourite S/C model, I've lost count of how many Sharkies I've had over the decades...  first one was free-flight cos we couldnt afford radio!   My totally unbiassed advice is to build it as nature intended, rudder-only.  If you fit an elevator then you're missing the whole point 🙂

The one in the avatar runs about 60 watts from a 2S 800mAh and thats plenty, it only weighs a few ounces.  

4 hours ago, Paul Bromley said:

I have a new cox 0.49 but have decided to stick an electric motor on it.

Problem is I can't decide what ? Can you help please.

It all depends on what kind of performance you want.  The original used anything from a 0.5cc to a slightly insane 1.5cc.

My electric powered version is powered by a Keda KD2205 driving an APC 6 x 5.5E prop and an 850mAh LiPo. Even with this set up it can get small quite quickly.

I've fitted rudder and elevator to mine (sorry Phil 🙂) and it's great fun to fly.  I built it back in 2017 and it's one of my most regularly flown models.

P1030924.thumb.JPG.1c339fc9f995d9d1578b30334f8f7c2c.JPG

1 hour ago, John T said:

It all depends on what kind of performance you want.  The original used anything from a 0.5cc to a slightly insane 1.5cc.

My electric powered version is powered by a Keda KD2205 driving an APC 6 x 5.5E prop and an 850mAh LiPo. Even with this set up it can get small quite quickly.

I've fitted rudder and elevator to mine (sorry Phil 🙂) and it's great fun to fly.  I built it back in 2017 and it's one of my most regularly flown models.

P1030924.thumb.JPG.1c339fc9f995d9d1578b30334f8f7c2c.JPG

Wot KV.