Storm Doris

Maurice Harvey

Coming in to land at Stansted in the middle of Storm Doris we had to abort as everything, including the 737 got a bit pear shaped. Hairy, but not scary although several passengers quickly communicated with their creator. The worst part was the divert to East Midlands where it seems every aircraft was being sent to as the wind was in line with the runway

Advert

A few years ago, my wife and I were landing at Schiphol when traveling on holiday. I was sat in the window seat, noticing that we were at about 45' to the runway. I opted not to tell SWMBO this fact as she is not a good flyer. Turbulance was bad as well so she had enough to cope with...face 3

Edited By cymaz on 26/02/2017 06:24:01

Some years ago, I was sent to Belfast by the company I worked for. I was warned that Aldergrove was notorious for its bumpy approach, and sure enough, it felt like a roller coaster ride!

The thing finally slammed hard onto the runway, following a couple of big bounces, at which point the pilot engaged full reverse thrust.

The (very nervous) passenger alongside me mistook this for throttling up! "Oh, God!", he moaned, "They're going to make him do it again until he gets it right!!!"

surprise

--

Pete

Posted by ken anderson. on 26/02/2017 10:04:05:

apparently in a recent survey...Leeds Bradford is the no 1 most hated airport by the full-size lads(nasty winds) and where we are Newcastle came in 3rd ...

ken Anderson....... ne....1 nasty winds dept.

They obviously haven't been down to our strip lately smile d

apparently in a recent survey...Leeds Bradford is the no 1 most hated airport by the full-size lads(nasty winds) and where we are Newcastle came in 3rd ...

Hi Ken, I heard the rumours about your wind problem!

Posted by Glyn44 on 26/02/2017 12:07:45:

Hi Ken, I heard the rumours about your wind problem!

Try Charcoal tablets, works wonders for wind

Edited By Peter Miller on 26/02/2017 13:23:09

How do you know that Peter?laugh

Whilst not storm related, my worst experience was flying into Geneva for a ski holiday. On the approach I noticed the cabin crew kept coming to where my mate & I were sat (over wing) and looking out at the wing. Somethings not quite right I thought. Anyway this happened several times and finally the Captain came on the air saying how apparently "our flap computers aren't talking to each other and as a result I have switched them off so we shall have to land without our flaps, so we shall be taking a small detour around the mountains while we prepare to land" (read: dump fuel to lose weight as we were clearly going to come in low and fast). Not good I thought, but kept this from my mate who isn't flying savvy shall we say.

So, the pilot took us around and around for close to 1 hour. In this time tensions began mounting in the cabin, people murmured about fuel, cabin crew were noticeable by their abscence and passengers up and down the cabin began to get pannicky, some near our seat rows clearly sobbing. Understandable, and to be honest, I was getting a tad uneasy too.

Once we made finals he came in on a very long, extremely low and fast approach, barely skimming the tops of tiled house roofs for ages until he touched down faster than I've ever touched down in my life. Absolutely thundered down the runway and seemed to take the whole runway to stop. Out of the windows we could see a host of speeding fire trucks, trying to keep up with us. Once we retruned to the terminal area, the front doors opened and what seemed like a dozen leather trench coated officials stormed in and appeared to be conferring at length with the flight crew. Interesting experience, sure, but one I'd rather not repeat.

In 1967/8 I flew from Hucknall to Bristol (Filton) in a RR owned twin engined light aircraft with, IIRC, 9 seats including the pilot (Piper something - Commanche? I'm no scale expert and it was long before I got interested in aeromodelling).

Anyway, we returned in the dark with the guy sat next to the pilot (another passenger) holding a torch so the pilot could see the instruments. The same electrical fault also meant the flaps weren't usable so we had a pretty fast approach and landing back at Hucknall. At least the runway was more than adequately long at over a mile having been constructed for testing RB211s nailed to one side of a VC10. Still quite exciting and made my return home on my 650cc BSA Lightning seem very tame.

All my other trips to Bristol were in the daily coach Royce's ran for several years. Not so enjoyable but better for the heart rate

Geoff