Balance weight.

I have got ARF SIG 4 Star 64, my first low wing plane. The engine sizes they quote to use is glow power 4-stroke .60-.90 or 2 stroke .60-.75. I have a spare 4 stroke .60 to fit. This has been assembled as per instructions Battery fitted right up front under fuel tank. Starting point for c of g is 3.5 inches from leading edge. Engine weighs 450grams. Now find I have to fit 12ozs of weight up front, which seems to be a lot to get the c of g correct. The standard servos in fuselage are as near to c of g as you can get. Do I go ahead with ballast weight, of would it be easier to get a bigger engine and put less ballast in. Thanks Dave.

Advert

As you are at the bottom end of the engine range a bigger lump is an option here, but it wont give you 12oz thats for sure.

It has to be said that i have never been that worried about adding lead for balance. If i have done all i can to minimise the dead weight then thats all i can do and as it must balance to fly i fit it and forget it.