Travelling boxes and wing bags

Advert

I've got a few silver foil bubble wrap home made types, they are good for protection but after a couple of years they started to rub and leave grey stains on the wings and whatever they are resting against. I'm guessing it's a reaction with something, the only thing I can think of is glow fuel residue.

Cheapest way is like above, but i have made them from wing bags from the double silver foil bubble insulation foil you see around.

To join you can ion the foil together , i add a bit of tape to make sure also instead of struggling to slot the wings in a tube I make the opening along the length (so much easier) and use short bits of self adhesive Velcro to close up.

see picture ,excuse the washing in view, clean i might add.

wp_20170313_09_31_31_pro.jpg

I have made quite a few storage boxes and the using coreflute that estate agents make their signs from, also the SPAD website shows how to make planes from it.

I cut and fold and stick it together with evostick and ducttape.

Very good for very fragile indoor type models.

You can get it from your local signmakers and it comes in 8 foot by 4 foot sheets so you can make big boxes if you need to.

One of mine is nearly 2 metres long.

Maxg

• 2 months later...

I have not made any wing bags or travel boxes so far, but allow me to recommend trio_floor_protection_uk on Ebay I got two sheets in 2015 and their price doesn't seem to have changed £11.50 for a 2mm sheet 8x4 ft (non fire rated). Delivery is free and it comes rolled up.

Hmm, as I make more wings, I guess I'll have to start protecting them from each other and what have you. Heh, I've just installed some superglue packaging blisters over my servo arms for streamlining and protection. But a long bag or box does seem in order in the long run.

Posted by Phil May on 24/05/2017 12:00:34:
Cheaper a Wilkes.
8x4 2mm thick, a fiver

WoW! I like the sound of that Phil! I buy stuff in Wikes all the time but must have missed it. I can't find it on their website, I've searched for coroplast, corplast, corrugated plastic, plastic sheet, insulation, so far. What do they call it?

Ah! Found it! Proplex protection sheet.  Hehe! It's actually £3.95 !!!!!!!! yes

Edited By Chuck Plains on 25/05/2017 19:54:38

It's easily bent one way, I had to roll it up to get it in the car. Length ways is stiff and it won't get punctured like bubble wrap. It's a foam wing so I'll test this one first before I make anymore. Old foil bubble wrap leaves grey stains on some wings but I can't see this one being a problem. Next time your in Wicks have a look.