Abolish Road Tax

Owen Hailey

Hi all.

Can any One tell me why are we still paying road fund tax on cars and motor bike. Do we not pay enough duty on fuel, and shurely if they put the duty all on fuel this would stop all the road tax dodgers out there, I run Two cars, but it is totaly inpossibly for me to drive more than one at a time, so if it was on fuel I could choose as to what was the best vehical, for the type of journey that I was about to make, people with a large family could have a large car for the trips out, but in the week thoes who do short trips could have a small car or motor cycle this must be the way to get the c o down or is this just a smoke screen and just a way of ripping us of once more.

over taxed Owen.

Advert

I agree scrap fuel duty and road tax and bring in conjestion charging, then you only pay for every mile you drive. If you drive at busy times of the day or into town centres or down busy motorways then you get charged more than if you drive on quiet roads. That way we can load level the road transport system and run it at its optimum

Congestion charging, hmmmm, please don't encourage it. The government take the motor taxes, sales, road and fuel and plough very little back into new or improved roads, which is the main reason why we have so much congestion, which supports 'their' case for taxing the motorist (and trucks) for causing pollution. Just goes round and round.

Also look on any Ordnance Survey map and you will see the words 'disused railway line' all over Britain . Mostly closed by a forward thinking government in the 1950's, forcing the citizens and their goods onto the roads. There are thousands of miles of them and hundreds of closed stations.

The thing about France is its twice the size of the UK but with the same population...more space for everyone. Also France has few big cities/towns compared with the UK......try & get about in the rural bits by train & you'll be stuck before you can say TGV!!!

As to road tax, stick it on fuel. That way you can't dodge it & those who do the most mileage pay the most tax. Why should my wife pay the same road tax for her car when she does a tenth of the mileage that I do? And it's easy to collect as the system is already in place.

MOT & Insurance can be a disc in the windscreen as the tax is now......

Of course none of this is what I really think....road taxes should be lower but whilst the government uses road tax to prop up the economy that's never goning to happen....

Ask yourself who makes the most money out of a small £10,000 hatchback over its life....the manufacturer? the garage who services it? the oil companies? Nope, it's (altogether) THE GOVERNMENT!!!!!

Sorry Rocket  But you seem to have the stereotypical (& thats a big word for me in English) Attitude that all the French do is ride their bikes with a beret on & sell onions ,In actual fact they made the inner tubes for Concorde & most of the riders bicycicles in the "tour de France" && Maybe the ones on your new fangled  foreign m/c also Me! My last bike was a BB32 Gold Star witha very close ratio G'box & an RN carb  .Never got the clutch in' til 35 mph in 1st gear that is.Only went round Mallory once & was passed by a chap called Mike Hailwood going twice my speed SORRY    Off thread AGAIN  ( this damn nostalgia that I;d forgotten about is creeping back into whats left of my life

The Original Grumpy !

Hi Ron.

This country is full of very clever people with lots of Letters after there names, but how about a degree in common scenes would that be to much to ask, and let people vote on the things that mater vier the web and we mite get the country back on its feet. The hole system is in kayos and full of red tape that can not be policed.

no more road tax Owen.

It's not quite correct to say that we pay no vehicle tax in france. There is no annual road tax but you do pay a 'one-off' tax when you first register your vehicle.

A current typical registration fee for a 2 litre diesel car is about 200 euros.

MOT's are every two years once the vehicle is four years old.

There is no MOT on motorcycles.

As regards the point about checking insurance and MOT status, it's pretty simple. We have both attached to the windscreen.

This enables instant checks to be made.

We also tend to have regular stop-checks by the gerndarmes to check paperwork.

On the same subject insurance prices are comparable with the UK but most include breakdown cover as standard.

Bike insurance is slightly more but the cover is better.

Gary.

Its a question of semantics, really, I guess, Myron.  You do have to pay to register the vehicle initially to obtain French plates and documentation.  This cost varies from region to region.  Beyond that you pay no annual road tax.  In the UK also you pay to register the vehicle, about £50, isn't it?   Then you also pay annual road tax. 

• 2 weeks later...

If the French can manage without road tax, lower fuel tax etc, why can't the UK government adopt a similar scheme. I'll tell you why, money! the government wants to screw as much money out of its citizens as it possibly can in order to finance MPs pensions, holidays, personal expenses, Blair force one etc.,

I'm a political refugee living in France. If the EU is a level playing field, why is it more expensive to live in the UK compared with rest of Europe?

Lee