Unknown Bipe - does anyone recognise it ?

Hi - my first real post, and it's a question ( hope I've done it correctly )

I've saved an old Bipe from being put in the dustbin but I need to find out some details to help me complete the build. First question - what is the make & model ( 5 pictures in my one and only album). 46 inch span, foam wings ( built up wing tips )

Once identified I'm hoping to find out the C of G, interplane strut position / shape / method of fixing to wing etc

Any help appreciated

Thx

Advert

Someone will spot it Mark shortly

But ballpark C of G for a staggerwing bipe is to look down at the wings in plan view/ from above, and divide this by 3, to roughly find

One third distance from the leading edge, and this usually works out quite close to the plan position

Your c of g should be near the leading edge of the lower wing from my view/guesstimate

Edited By Denis Watkins on 21/03/2017 21:10:47

99.9% sure that is a Pat French Models Jungmann.

I built one years ago for an HGK 40, a heavy engine but the model flew really well as I remember right up until my TX batteries failed (they were fully charged and it was a new radio) and the poor Jungmann looped until it ran out of air!

The fin and rudder look a bit botched but otherwise as long as it is straight it will fly fine and sorry I don't remember the CG or anything like that it was 35 years or more.

Looks like Paul and I were typing at the same time!👍🏻

Edited By Nigel Dell on 21/03/2017 21:25:44

Edited By Nigel Dell on 21/03/2017 21:26:40

Just beat you to the add post I think Nigel 😀. Mark take a look at some plastic strips that you can get from stationers they are the ones that are used to bind A4 paper together they even have an airfoil section of sorts. There are two for each wing and slot I to 4 short dowels, the center elastic band holds the top wing in place. If you feel around you might even find where the original dowels were.

Best of luck,

Paul.

• 3 months later...

This is definitely a Pat French Jungmann as I built and flew mine back in the early eighties and I had it for about six years when I gave up the hobby for a while and sold it

It flew very well upright and inverted and will knife edge as well with ailerons only on the bottom wing and i flew it on an OS 40 FSR with Sanwa radio

The C of G was found easily as the centre ply support for the top wing had a V-shaped notch on the underside in the middle of the underside so that all you had to do was place a dowel in the notch and lift the plane up to see how it balanced

I notice in the photo (with the wing off) that the notch is missing but it was there on the original part and centred on the underside of the support

This plane flew so well that in a stiffer breeze it could even be hovered

The tail is not bodged and is original as it did have these large curved edges

I have a couple of pics somewhere and will look them out and upload them to let you see

Great to see this lovely model again after so long

• 4 months later...

Jungmann for sure Try this https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bucker+jungmann&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjr3bTK3r_XAhUMExoKHeEIDZsQiR4IiwE&biw=1094&bih=510https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bucker+jungmann&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjr3bTK3r_XAhUMExoKHeEIDZsQiR4IiwE&biw=1094&bih=510https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bucker+jungmann&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjr3bTK3r_XAhUMExoKHeEIDZsQiR4IiwE&biw=1094&bih=510 Or Google it yourself and click on More images on the right of the page

• 2 weeks later...