25 cc hack wanted, what to choose

Don Fry

Last summer I lost my 6 foot hack. Glitchy receiver problem. It was an OD, and was very nice to fly, a shame.

I would like to find a home for the resulting 25 cc 2 stroke petrol motor.

I don't want to build another example of the one I lost, that would be too painful. I don't particularly want an ARTF, but the Wot series appeals a bit.

A kit appeals. A rugged aerobatic hack, nothing fancy.

I am aware Slec do the T 240. Slightly underwhelmed. What else is out there?

If you're not in a huge rush and want a lot of choice, first download a free copy of the Foxit PDF Reader. With this installed you can tile print any pdf plan. It's also a breeze to scale a plan up and down via Foxit.

Then go to outerzone.co.uk and choose one of the many hundreds of designs there. Download the plan, scale to 25cc size if that's needed, modify the structure as you require, and get building.

I've just done that with a plan for a 47in span Krier Great Lakes Special .40 4str-size bipe which I've scaled up to 66in span for my new Laser 155 4str, changed the aerofoil to symmetrical and have nearly completed building the wings. There are plenty of simpler designs than that available, including the old Ugly Stik if that floats your boat.

Well, you did ask for suggestions wink

Gordon

Thank you Gonzo, never saw that. Not sure it is quite what I envisaged. But it will hack nicely no doubt. Small mind worm started.

Tom, I have looked at this, but without assurances to the contrary, this will be 5 cc short of a big grin. I suspect the biggest grins will be worn by a Zenoah 38 user.

If its a robust aerobatic hack you are looking for with a building element, have you had a look at Steve Holland's Farmhand 90. There is an informative video to be seen on the Traplet site or just google Farmhand 90. There is also a smaller version called Farmhand 60.

Just a thought. Beats ARTF aircraft, in my opinion.

Edited By Handyman on 29/03/2017 20:05:38

Steve J, I have been racking my brain cell for that, Maule, but I am too late it appears. Keep them coming, but not much out there.

As I thought a couple of years ago when I drew the plans for the last hack.

And the farmhands, they perform, But I would have to draw a 75 size for my motor.

But, at 18 to 20 lbs, it ain't going to be exiting with a 25 cc petrol 2 st.

But I would admit to error. I have a ( shrinking) backlog to projects, restorations, etc. One such is a Svenson quarter scale Stampe. It has been across the bench a couple of times, sorting its major problems. The motor mounts are cut for this love/hate thing, in a previous attempt to sort it out. One day. But I do like the look od the SIG Clipped Wing.

• 1 month later...

Having seen Steve Holland's Farmhand (and the first rate material he is using) that is on my potential list for the MVVS 26 I am about to start building from the spares stock.

Looking round, the one that really excites me is the Flair Hannibal. I was speaking to Flair last year about parts for the Hannibal. A phone call of yesterday told me that the Magnatilla kits are being worked on at the moment, and the The Hannibal kits should be available at the end of this year.

Slec Stampe

Sig 1/4 Scale Clipped Cub

DB 1/4 Scale Moth

Balsa USA 1/4 Scale kits....