A + B Tests

Advert

Posted by john stones 1 on 05/04/2017 11:51:46:

I wish you wouldn't keep saying it's a check mechanism for folks integrity lads, is that what we are and how we're perceived ?

I don't think anyone is questioning the integrity of examiners in general - although no doubt someone will quote an exception - but (and BEB's tongue in cheek comment earlier may actually have a grain of validity) the scheme relies on being perceived as fair and equable. Any question over an examiner's integrity is administered by the individual club which appoints and ratifies them annually.

Edited By Martin Harris on 05/04/2017 12:31:07

This thing popped into my head because i'm swotting up on Multi Rotors, as an examiner fixed wing i can take other disciplines for an A, i need to know that a candidate can understand and operate his equipment safely, to do that I need to understand them, otherwise how can i do it ? BMFA has made plenty of stuff available they've video and it's covered in the workshops but other than my club monitoring me, it relies solely on my integrity to do the job right and educate myself accordingly, the mates/integrity answers hold no water do they ? also they're offensive but i'm thick skinned so no matter.

So there you have it, i could bluff my way through a m/r test and not do it to the right standard, but to take a B on f/w which i can do and have done for donkeys years i need a second examiner Why ?

John

P.S i asked the BMFA the question before i started the thread.

John Stones, No gripes here either, and definately not questioning integrity of any examiner at all. Just another way of assuring our sport maintains a safeguard from idiots that don't care about the consequences.

I have witnessed experienced pilots performing worse than those that have been solo for mere months.

I have also seen non certified pilots that fly better than examiners too.

bbc

Posted by bouncebounce crunch on 05/04/2017 14:39:14:

I have also seen non certified pilots that fly better than examiners too.

bbc

And some of the joyriders have much more driving skills than some drivers who have been driving for 50 years......

It's an achievement scheme not a test, a bit like getting a music grade certificate, not something you put on a job application (unless you are maybe applying to the NASA laugh)

It seems to me we are probably over-analysing.

The only real answer to the question is: "because someone at BMFA decided that they wanted it to be that way". This isn't a physics question, where there is a deductive logic to the answer. People don't always act logically or rationally, even if they act in good faith.

It occurs to me (tongue in cheek) that if both tests required one examiner, someone, somewhere, is bound to ask "why do both tests need the same number of examiners"?

One reason tat two examiners are required to conduct a B test could be that it is quite a difficult test to examine far easier to fly the test than to examine it. For example rolls have to be flown from both left and right and rotating clockwise and anticlockwise. With two pairs of eyes watching errors are less likely to be missed. Similarly at times the fingers on the sticks need to be watched as well as the model. Tricky unless you are like Marty Feldman.

Posted by Martin Dance 1 on 07/04/2017 20:42:56:

One reason tat two examiners are required to conduct a B test could be that it is quite a difficult test to examine far easier to fly the test than to examine it. For example rolls have to be flown from both left and right and rotating clockwise and anticlockwise. With two pairs of eyes watching errors are less likely to be missed. Similarly at times the fingers on the sticks need to be watched as well as the model. Tricky unless you are like Marty Feldman.

Why the need to watch fingers on sticks ?

I would say that you are to demonstrate your ability to control the aircraft. The bottom line is to display safety at all times and that you are in control. It does not have to be precision acrobatics and to that end I did my B with a BH Speed Air which requires adjustment inputs to achieve a level double roll.

My point is I have a Carbon Yak and it does very axial rolls with no other input than aileron...but that does not demonstrate control...just stick bashing and what happens when you fly something else less forgiving!